“Great location, horrible service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #363 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne
“Great location, horrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Friends and I recently stayed at this hotel, and the best part of our stay, was how close the hotel was to Times Square. It was so easy to get around the city from here!
The service at the hotel was really horrible. The staff did not make you feel welcome at all. Our check in was done by Alfonso, who was rude, and did actually tell us anything about the hotel, just handed us a bit paper. When asked where the lift was and how to get to our room, he pointed behind us and very sarcastically said "there". We asked for tea bags and milk, and we given a couple of tea bags and was told there was no chance of us getting any milk.
The next morning we waited for up to 5 minutes at the front desk before we were actually acknowledged by the night manager, and all we wanted was some directions on which subway train to catch to get the Statue of Liberty ferry.
Later in the week, I asked reception, and once Alfonso was on, to help us book a shuttle to the airport. He looked at me, pointed to my hand in which I was holding my phone, and he told me I can book a shuttle on my phone. He did not want to help at all.
I was eventually told that concierge could help me tomorrow. When speaking with the concierge the next day, he looked half asleep at his desk, and blatantly told us there was no chance in us ever getting a taxi as we were leaving so early in the morning, so the only thing to do would be to get a private car. We felt so ripped off the next morning when we were waiting for our private car, and numerous taxis drove past the hotel.
The standards of housekeeping were not much better. Everyday there was something that was not replaced. First it started with the cups, then it was the face washers an hand towels. If we wanted them, we had to ask, and that always felt as if we were bugging them.
Although, the staff were happy to give us extra towels an shampoo.
There was a day when our beds were not made properly, and that a pillow case, and other linen that were clearly not for our room, were left by housekeeping in our room.
Our room was always so hot, that we had to keep a window open all the time, just so it could cool down slightly.
As people who work in the hospitality industry, the standard of service was not very good, and management should really look at this, and especially with the way housekeeping clean stay rooms.
If we ever provided the service we received in our workplaces, we would not have a job today.
If we were ever to return to NYC, we will not be staying at this hotel, and will certainly not be recommending this property to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over valantines weekend and the best thing abput the hotel by far is the location! Just off times square and close to tge subway perfect.
The room its self was small and tiny by American standards comparable to a travel lodge here in the UK! The room had everything you needed but was a little old in places and could do with a 'deep clean' in my opinion as it was a little neglected!
But since we were only in new York for a weekend we spent very little time in the room and tge bed was super comfy! The heating in the room was good and there was a coffee machine!
The biggwst negative I felt was the lack of customer service in tge hotel which I've never experienced before in the US no real welcome and I experienced quite rude attitudes to other guests!
If you are just looking for a place to rest your head while exploring NYC this place is in a good location and if you get it at a good price I'd recommend it!

Arlington, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

If you reserve through Priceline and require 2 beds, expect to put up a good fight unless you want to pay an extra $50 per night.
If you need an extra cot, don't bother. It's an inflatable mattress ($10 extra per night) that doesn't hold air.
We had to request towels from room service because they gave us none. The room was stiflingly hot and the lighting terrible.
That being said, I definitely got what I paid for. I probably would not stay here again but the price was right and the location perfect.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear NotaShrub,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We only have our standard room with one double bed negotiated with Priceline. We suggest that if you need other room types to contact the hotel directly as to what you require so we can get you the correct room type. Do to that fact that the rooms with two beds are larger than the ones with one it may be a higher rate for the night. Please contact us directly at 212-246-8800 if you would like to book again so we can reserve you the room needed.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

If you are looking for a doorman, valet parking etc two blocks from Times Square, and a price tag to match, keep looking. If you are looking for a clean, safe environment with a responsive staff and ~$200/nite for a family of four (1 bed, one pull-out), this is your place. We had a room in the back, which was quiet until the last morning (8a jack-hammer on the roof two bldgs over, but we were getting ready for our daily adventure anyways, so who cares?). Nice bed, no bedbugs. Extra blankets delivered in minutes, who can complain! The decor is funky, so this is not going to be like (my) home, but isn't that the point of going somewhere for vacation? A big thumbs up for value, location and the George Washington bust light. Extra pluses for cool HUGE fish tank behind the front desk and cheap luggage storage for your last day in town ($1 per bag in NYC!).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear BarbBronder ,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our best to provide the best value in the Times Square area.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you travel to New York City.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I can't say I was disappointed with this hotel, as we pretty much knew what we were getting when we booked the room- a good cheap hotel in a great location, which is exactly what this was. We got a very small room, that was clean and had a comfy bed. The heat in the room wasn't working, but there was already an electric heater in the room when we arrived, which because of the small size was able to do the trick. No real perks or extras here- but because its literally a 30 second walk to Times Square, we rarely spent time in our room anyways. For a 2 night stay in Times Square, it was suitable, which is all we were looking for. Anything longer that that- I'd recommend something with more amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear RIBrian1,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for mentioning our great location. We are located right in the heart of Times Square where most of the attractions here in New York City are located.

We hope you will stay with us again if you ever come back to New York in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Problems with heating/cooling, tv, lighting, wifi and in room safe. Staff tried to be very friendly but took a while to get everything fixed. When the first rooms did not have any heat control, the rooms were around 82 degrees with no way to cool the room except to open windows. This filled the rooms with the smell of smoking and the noise of Times Square. I had to ask for room changes, they did not offer. Eventually all were fixed but did cause a bit of stress. The wifi went out around midnight until 3 am and there was no one to help fix it. It eventually started working again. But for my purposes the location is amazing

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear 902alanw ,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am glad thought that we were able to fix everything to your satisfaction.

If you would like to speak with me further about your stay please contact me at 212-632-9006.

Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just returned from this Bestwestern. I got a great price through an email advert from Bestwestern. This was presidents weekend - very busy, the hotel was sold out. We arrived at 12 noon and left our bags. The lobby is small but there are many comfortable chairs and upholstered benches. They have wifi in the lobby and provide a info sheet with the password etc. The front desk liaison was a very nice, professional woman. She told me to come back at 3PM,which I expected(based on all the luggage in the lobby.) Our room was ready when we came back. We were in 1417 which is a corner room. It's advertised as a "queen bed suite with a twin sofa bed".
The bed is NOT a queen. I intended to sleep in it with my 16 year old daughter and our friend was using the twin sofa bed. As soon as I saw the size of the bed I called down for extra sheets and blankets. I knew I'd end up sleeping on the sofa cushions on the floor! I was told that they ran out of sheets and pillow cases due to the high volume of guests, but that they would bring them when available. We went out and when we got back at 10PM they had brought everything I asked for and more! I was very happy with the housekeeping service! The sofa cushions were very comfortable and I slept really well both nights. Our room was very quiet(we could not hear our neighbors) The street noise is loud, but that's just part of the NYC experience, bring earplugs!
The bathroom was small with a very large shower stall with a stationary shower head on one wall and a hand held shower on the other.The stationary head was really powerful and slightly broken (it sprayed a huge stream of water off to the side) The stall was not "water tight" so the entire bathroom floor was a puddle when finished.There was a lot of mold around the top of the tile near the ceiling, especially on the side that you would only see if you were actually in the shower looking out at the commode. There is no vent system so you'd think housekeeping management would make it a priority to check the cleanliness of the WHOLE STALL. The room decor was "cheesy", a big bust of George Washington that was a light,totally out of proportion to the desk it sat on. A very large picture of Kennedy staring at you next to the bed. The twin sofa was white"patent leather". We had a lot of laughs about the decor! Our friend said the sofa bed was very comfortable. It felt pretty good to me, but I didn't put my whole weight on it. The room was clean. There were just two instances which bothered me both related to customer service. The gentleman at the front desk on Sunday evening (4 or 5 PM, February 16th) was really very cold and disdainful. When I spoke to him about the size of the bed and my wish for extra blankets he pretty much sneered at me. The other incident happened (Tuesday February 18 8 AM) I was awake and the teens were still asleep so I went to the lobby to check email. I had a teabag in my purse. I asked the gentleman in charge of the buffet breakfast if I could have a cup of hot water and he was just as rude and sneering as the other guy! He didn't even fill the paper cup all the way.He acted as if I was asking for free food! We did not eat the buffet at the hotel it did not look good and certainly not worth what they charge, you can do better just down the street on 8th Ave. I did not note either man's name and that is why I'm documenting the date and time(in case management wants to re-train these two on the goals of the hospitality industry!) They have a small bar in the lobby which was kind of nice, I sat with a glass of wine($8) and looked at email while my kids were at Times Square one evening. I guess I'm giving this hotel a 3 for the fact that the housekeeper on duty that first evening was so responsive to my request for linens. Otherwise I'd give a 2. I stayed at the BWP Seaport in October, they need to come up and show these guys how it's done!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!