I would like to say how DISAPPOINTED i was with my stay last week. This hotel has SO MUCH POTENTIAL, but many aspects let it down.
The room we had was decent, and the beds we're comfortable. The white fake-leather sofa was not that appealing, full of stains and holes, but as the sofa spent most of the time as a bed this was not a major issue.
The first problem we noticed was that the heating was not working - we reported it to the front desk (Suny) who said that maintenance would deal with it and went out for the evening. After we returned from a show we were all exhausted (after being awake for over 20 hours) and fell asleep without noticing that the heating had not been fixed.
The next morning we awoke- freezing cold, and reported to reception again that the heating was not working and that we had a few lights out. We also asked for extra blankets.
Later on that evening we returned, to still no heating, no lights or extra blankets. HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB AND DROP OFF A FEW BLANKETS?! On our way out for the evening we again reported to the front desk the issues we were having. This time spoke to Kumar (who was the only useful member of staff that we encountered on our visit) He arranged for some blankets to be put in our room (which they were) and for maintenance to come up with us when we returned for our evening meal.
We also reported to him that cockroaches were present!!! We asked if we could change rooms, but as the hotel was full this was not a possibility. He did say that we could on our final night - but we felt that it was pointless at that time.
After our evening meal Kumar's promise to get maintenance to come up to our room was fulfilled. The maintenance guy -Mario i think - arrived and fixed the heating, but left without explaining to use how to adjust the heating so we spent the final two nights swelteringly hot.
The lightbulb was never changed. I bet if you go along to room 1102 now the two free standing lights in the living area will still not work.
The main issue I had with the hotel was the poor customer service. I know it's New York City, and the stereotype is that everyone is rude- and you certainly lived up to that one!
I myself work in the hotel industry, and i spoke to the guests the way I was spoken to, i would be out the door. The customer may not always be right, but you certainly don't let them know that.
The doorman was the worst for this. Doormen are supposed to open doors right? not your guy. On two occasions that I was coming in and out, I had to help other guests out. The first occasion was an elderly couple, both with walking sticks, struggling to open the heavy doors. The second was a mother with a baby is a pushchair. On both these occasions I watched him stand and watch them struggle until I went to help them out.
It was the same doorman who charged us to store our luggage. I have travelled all around the world, and have never encountered this policy. ANYWHERE. $1 per bag?! I wouldn't mind if it was to actually store it in a lockable closet, not chained to other suitcases in the lobby - not very secure! I'm fairly certain that it was his own policy to make more tips.
Upon checkout we did have $100 taken off our bill, but i think that that was mainly to stop my mother yelling about cockroaches in the busy lobby
This hotel has so much potential - an amazing location and recently renovated. But the severe lack of maintenance and very poor customer service really lets it down!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Excellent location in the heart of Times Square, steps from Broadway Theaters, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building-Guest rooms featuring; free wireless internet, flat screen televisions, free local phone calls, in-room coffee makers, i-home docking stations, complimentary weekday newspaper, in-room safe. On-Site Fitness Center, Business Center, Conference Room- Two Restaurants, Lobby Bar, Room Service - 44 Suites with sleeper sofas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Groupon, Agoda, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western President Hotel New York
- Best Western Nyc
- Best Western Hotel Nyc
- Best Western New York City
- New York City Best Western
- Best Western President New York