“Cockroaches and dead mice! AVOID!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #350 of 451 hotels in New York City
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cockroaches and dead mice! AVOID!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I would like to say how DISAPPOINTED i was with my stay last week. This hotel has SO MUCH POTENTIAL, but many aspects let it down.

The room we had was decent, and the beds we're comfortable. The white fake-leather sofa was not that appealing, full of stains and holes, but as the sofa spent most of the time as a bed this was not a major issue.

The first problem we noticed was that the heating was not working - we reported it to the front desk (Suny) who said that maintenance would deal with it and went out for the evening. After we returned from a show we were all exhausted (after being awake for over 20 hours) and fell asleep without noticing that the heating had not been fixed.
The next morning we awoke- freezing cold, and reported to reception again that the heating was not working and that we had a few lights out. We also asked for extra blankets.

Later on that evening we returned, to still no heating, no lights or extra blankets. HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB AND DROP OFF A FEW BLANKETS?! On our way out for the evening we again reported to the front desk the issues we were having. This time spoke to Kumar (who was the only useful member of staff that we encountered on our visit) He arranged for some blankets to be put in our room (which they were) and for maintenance to come up with us when we returned for our evening meal.

We also reported to him that cockroaches were present!!! We asked if we could change rooms, but as the hotel was full this was not a possibility. He did say that we could on our final night - but we felt that it was pointless at that time.

After our evening meal Kumar's promise to get maintenance to come up to our room was fulfilled. The maintenance guy -Mario i think - arrived and fixed the heating, but left without explaining to use how to adjust the heating so we spent the final two nights swelteringly hot.

The lightbulb was never changed. I bet if you go along to room 1102 now the two free standing lights in the living area will still not work.

The main issue I had with the hotel was the poor customer service. I know it's New York City, and the stereotype is that everyone is rude- and you certainly lived up to that one!

I myself work in the hotel industry, and i spoke to the guests the way I was spoken to, i would be out the door. The customer may not always be right, but you certainly don't let them know that.

The doorman was the worst for this. Doormen are supposed to open doors right? not your guy. On two occasions that I was coming in and out, I had to help other guests out. The first occasion was an elderly couple, both with walking sticks, struggling to open the heavy doors. The second was a mother with a baby is a pushchair. On both these occasions I watched him stand and watch them struggle until I went to help them out.

It was the same doorman who charged us to store our luggage. I have travelled all around the world, and have never encountered this policy. ANYWHERE. $1 per bag?! I wouldn't mind if it was to actually store it in a lockable closet, not chained to other suitcases in the lobby - not very secure! I'm fairly certain that it was his own policy to make more tips.

Upon checkout we did have $100 taken off our bill, but i think that that was mainly to stop my mother yelling about cockroaches in the busy lobby

This hotel has so much potential - an amazing location and recently renovated. But the severe lack of maintenance and very poor customer service really lets it down!

Room Tip: A different hotel!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear 71Louby,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry that you had so many challenges with your hotel room and our staff was not able to fix them for you. It should have been dealt with from the first person you spoke with. I am glad to see that Kumar was able to help you somewhat and he is a great asset to our team here. We do have a manager on our staff daily to help you with any concerns you may have with the hotel if our Front Desk staff is not able to resolve them for you.
Please feel free to give me a call at 212-632-9006 as I would like to speak with you more about your stay with us so we can fix these items for our future guests.

1,939 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here for three nights last week. I had a standard single room,which was very small. But the location is good and I did not spend much time in the room, so it was okay. The bathroom was nice, small but very clean. The room looked also clean...on the first view, but under the bed you could find dust and trash and also the coffeemaker and the old aircondition were very dusty...windows haven't been cleaned for a while. My room was on 14th floor and it was quiet at night. When I came home late in the evening on the second day I had to notice that my glasses had been stolen from my suitcase!!!! I was wearing my contactlenses that day and left my glasses in the hotel. I have very strong glasses and I am almost blind without, so this was really horrible for me. I informed hotel managment but they did not help at all..and also did not say "sorry" or something else...the only thing they did was calling the police as I asked them to do that. It was so dissapointing and I would never stay again in this hotel. I would have never considered my glasses as a good of worth for somebody else...for me they are essential and I put them in their case in my suitcase to protect them from falling down when my room was cleaned while my absence...but instead somebody took them from my suitcase to maybe get 50 bugs for it.

• Stayed September 2013
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear carrie1718,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad you found our location and rooms to meet your standards. I am very sorry to hear that you have missed placed your sunglasses. We did have someone check the room for them after you left and nothing was found. We do have your information if they do turn up at the hotel. Please feel free to give me a call at 212-632-9006 if you feel as if we have not done enough to help you in this matter.

Saint Cyrus, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I've just arrived in this hotel. I'm sleeping on the sofa bed as we speak and it's horrific. Don't stay in a room for 3, book two rooms. My back is going to be broken by the time I leave. Other than that it's clean and in a good location.

• Stayed September 2013
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear TiffanyD66,

Thank you for your review of our property. If you are still in our hotel please contact the Front Desk so we may change out the sofa bed mattress in your room if it is uncomfortable. We cannot fix the problem if it is not reported to us while you are staying and I hope we are able to solve this before you leave.
You may also call me at my direct line at 212-632-9006.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for our all girls trip the last 5 years and have always had excellent service form the staff, especially Kumar. The staff is very professional, friendly and most helpful. The rooms are always clean. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to Times Square, and the theatre district and shopping as well as great restaurants. The hotel is located in a very safe area.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a larger room reserve a junior or executive suite. The corner suites are lar...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Lenag01

Thank you for your review of our property. Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff. Kumar is a great employee and we are very glad to have him here working with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to New York City.

Buffalo, Wy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The location of this hotel is awesome especially if you want to be in heart of Times Square. Room was OK nothing fancy the hallway could use a deep cleaning. But we were there to tour not stay in room

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Monica B,

Thank you for your review of our property. We are glad to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is very close to all the major attractions and make seeing everything NYC has very easy. We hope you will choose us again on your next trip to New York.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Well well, I admit I was seriously worried about staying here after spending nearly 1000 pounds for 7 nights and THEN reading the reviews, as it turns out I'm delighted that I booked before reading, some of the people on here must be used to staying in 5 star luxury or have servants and home!! This hotel is fantastic, the location could not be more perfect, every one of the 39 broadway theatres are within 7 mins walking distance (in fact 1 of them is 2 doors up) the staff are extremely attentive, especially the concierge who managed to get me a tickets for a sold out show within 30 mins at a very reasonable price, I'm gutted that I can't remember the bellboys name as he was a lovely gentleman and did everything he could for me (after being tipped so he wasn't looking money). The reception staff are great also. I stayed in 707 which is very near the elevator, I don't understand people going on about how loud it is..I found it extremely quiet and comfortable and a decent size for NYC, ps for those complaining about noise....get a grip, you're literally on Time Square!!! I must mention the trustworthiness of the room service staff, the safes are kept in the closets, I left my safe door wide open while out one day for over 12 hours, it my safe and visible was my laptop, ipad, expensive Guess watch and 1500 dollars in cash, the maid had hung up all my clothes in the closet and in doing so could not have missed the pile of goodies in safe with door wide open, she took the 5 dollars tip by the bed stand and nothing else. What a woman, I was so impressed.

This is a wonderful hotel, do yourself a favour and stay here. I can't wait to come back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Steve C,

Thank you for your review of our property. Thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do our very best to provide value and great customer service to all of our guests. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I traveled with my girlfriend and her friend so we had requested a room with 2 beds. It was our mistake that we initially booked a room with a single bed through orbitz, however we contacted the hotel a few days before the trip and were told that a request would be noted and that it wouldn't be an issue. When we first arrived after traveling all day, the customer service at the front desk was unbelieveably rude. His name was Alphonso and he truly made us hate this hotel from the beginning. He stated they did not have a room with two beds avaliable. Not only that, but the only room they had avaliable was a single double bed. While trying to ask him if we could have a room with a king bed or hop between different rooms for the few days we were at the hotel, Alphonso proceeded to take a phone call instead of helping us and left us standing there twidling our fingers. After he hung up, he looked at us and said well you can either "take what we have or leave". And after I said well that's a pretty rude comment he replied, "let me put this in perspective for you". I then asked to speak with a manager. A female who was standing right next to Alphonso heard our whole conversation and said "I'm the manager". She said, "What's the issue, I heard Alphonso tell you what's avaliable". They then wanted us to pay an extra $10 per night for a blow up mattress which the manager included after I threw a fit at this point. We decided to stay in the hotel for the night because we had no where else to stay and it was 10pm. When we got to our room it was INCREDIBLY SMALL!!! The bed was practically touching the walls. Also it was sooooooo dirty!! There were stains all over the bed sheets and there was 3 shoes under the bed....gross!!! We told the cleaning person who was out in the hallway and he stated, "Oh, forgot to check there". The blankets were thin, brown, and smelly! We checked out in the morning, canceled the rest of the nights at this hotel and stayed our remaining 4 nights at the Marriott Marquis around the block. Yes the Marquis is a little more expensive, but the staff is nicer and the rooms are cleaner and larger. I will never spend another night in a Best Western Property.

P.S. The decor is extremely awkward in this hotel. They slapped up this ugly purple wallpaper and it resembles a weird hostel that you would see in Europe.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Brian N

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you felt our staff was unhelpful and our rooms were small. When a reservation is booked we do have to honor the original reservation and any upgrades are based on availability. Since we have an amazing location in Times Square our hotel is sold out every night and we have very few rooms to upgrade our guests too. We do have other rooms that are available such as our Deluxe rooms and Suites if you needed a larger room.
We hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further at 212-632-9006.

Best Western President Hotel at Times Square, New York City

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!