“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

Booking.com Orbitz.com
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #352 of 446 hotels in New York City
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I traveled with my girlfriend and her friend so we had requested a room with 2 beds. It was our mistake that we initially booked a room with a single bed through orbitz, however we contacted the hotel a few days before the trip and were told that a request would be noted and that it wouldn't be an issue. When we first arrived after traveling all day, the customer service at the front desk was unbelieveably rude. His name was Alphonso and he truly made us hate this hotel from the beginning. He stated they did not have a room with two beds avaliable. Not only that, but the only room they had avaliable was a single double bed. While trying to ask him if we could have a room with a king bed or hop between different rooms for the few days we were at the hotel, Alphonso proceeded to take a phone call instead of helping us and left us standing there twidling our fingers. After he hung up, he looked at us and said well you can either "take what we have or leave". And after I said well that's a pretty rude comment he replied, "let me put this in perspective for you". I then asked to speak with a manager. A female who was standing right next to Alphonso heard our whole conversation and said "I'm the manager". She said, "What's the issue, I heard Alphonso tell you what's avaliable". They then wanted us to pay an extra $10 per night for a blow up mattress which the manager included after I threw a fit at this point. We decided to stay in the hotel for the night because we had no where else to stay and it was 10pm. When we got to our room it was INCREDIBLY SMALL!!! The bed was practically touching the walls. Also it was sooooooo dirty!! There were stains all over the bed sheets and there was 3 shoes under the bed....gross!!! We told the cleaning person who was out in the hallway and he stated, "Oh, forgot to check there". The blankets were thin, brown, and smelly! We checked out in the morning, canceled the rest of the nights at this hotel and stayed our remaining 4 nights at the Marriott Marquis around the block. Yes the Marquis is a little more expensive, but the staff is nicer and the rooms are cleaner and larger. I will never spend another night in a Best Western Property.

P.S. The decor is extremely awkward in this hotel. They slapped up this ugly purple wallpaper and it resembles a weird hostel that you would see in Europe.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Brian N

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you felt our staff was unhelpful and our rooms were small. When a reservation is booked we do have to honor the original reservation and any upgrades are based on availability. Since we have an amazing location in Times Square our hotel is sold out every night and we have very few rooms to upgrade our guests too. We do have other rooms that are available such as our Deluxe rooms and Suites if you needed a larger room.
We hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay further at 212-632-9006.

1,774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Greek first
New Yourk, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Between the AC not working correctly in my room (They did switch my room) and in the new room the phone and bathroom tub had a bunch of hair all over the place. The stench was unbearable and the bed felt as if you were sleeping on a sofa bed mattress. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. And then in the morning my wife and I go to have breakfast and sit down and we were informed it is only Buffet, I walk over to the Buffet and a roach is crawling on the edge of the bagel tray, I informed the waiter that we were leaving and copped and attitude. This was worse then a flick from a bad horror movie.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Edward P,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to hear that you had so many challenges with your room. We do have a manager on our staff daily to help you with any concerns you may have with the hotel. If wish we were given the chance to fix these issues while you were still staying at our hotel.

Maroochydore, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The location was the best thing about this hotel. The elevators are soooo slow. We were always waiting for ages to get to/from our room. The room was outdated & nothing at all like the pics. But if your not going to be spending much time in the room & you care more about the location then this hotel is definitely for you! We walked around the corner and we were in tines square & very close to the subway.

• Stayed July 2013
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Cooper_Girl21,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad that you felt our location is great for tourists who want to see all that New York has to offer. We are upgrading our rooms on a constant basis to keep up with the current times and our pictures on our website do match our room categories. Please make sure you are using our official website at www.presidenthotelny.com.
We hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to New York City.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed for a week at the hotel in June 2013. The hotel has a great location, justo a few blocks away from Times Square.
On the low side rooms are very very small, even for couples.
Suspiciously some of our belongings disappeared form our luggage during our stay. Impossible to say how it happened but some with access to our room took our things.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicolas1232013,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am glad that you enjoyed our great location. I understand that you felt the room you booked was small. We do have larger rooms available such as our Deluxe rooms and Suites if you need more room. I am not sure why you are writing on tripadvisor about missing items when the hotel was not given a chance to investigate the accusation. We do have security here 24/7 and if you have an issue we do have a management staff here as well to help.
I urge you to call me at 212-632-9006 so we can discuss your stay.

Glossop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My mum and I stopped at this hotel for 3 nights. Our room was a junior suite on the 6th Floor. I was happy with the size of the room, it had a window to the front and back. There was many an issue such as the windows were filthy , AC was noisy and there was some noise from the fire engines but I put this down to location. There were cleanliness issues, the coffee machine was dusty, the place could have done with a good clean top to bottom and the AC units and general decor could do with updating. We had a other issues with the hairdryer not working but once highlighted these were attended to quickly. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I wanted to stay near Times Square. Times Square itself ifs full of bus ticket sales people and for me there was too many of them and also getting back into our hotel through theatre audience queues was ridiculous. I didnt eat or drink in the room so no comment on that. One thing the doors to the rooms bang when they close, which was about the most annoying thing for me when trying to sleep and other guests/housekeeping are coming and going

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear mcinnesh,

Thank you for your review of our property. Our location is in great area to do sightseeing as we are located around the corner from Times Square. Since we are close to all the major attractions it will be busy outside in the streets. I am sorry you had some issues with your room but we do have a manager onsite to help you with all your needs.
We hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations the next time you travel to New York.

Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Located at the Manhattan square, was a perfect place for visiting NY city. The rooms at the back of the hotel were noisy because of the central cooling units. Autonomous cooling units were also noisy enough. On the other hand the price was right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomas P, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear deropolis,

Thank you for your review of our property. We thank you for staying at our property and noticing our great location and value of our hotel. We do have larger rooms if you need such as our Deluxe Rooms and Suites.
We hope to see you in the future on your next stay in NYC.

Corvallis, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location. I will give them that.

We stayed here before and after a cruise out of New York. This is a great location for cruises because it was walking distance to the port; no taxi fees. And close to Times Square and some great restaurants.

The issues: the elevators are tiny and 1 is mostly used for staff/cleaning so you wait and wait or you take the stairs which with luggage and being on the 12th floor that is not fun. I waited at check out and watched the doors open and close 7 times because they were full. During peak check out times they should make the other elevator available.

The storage for some lugguage is in the front lobby. They put chains around them but it doesn't mean someone can't unzip a pocket or something. We made sure to come back right at check in and get our bags so we could put them in our room.

The first room we stayed in was small, and the water only came out HOT. To get cold water in the sink to brush your teeth, we had to run the shower. Weird. The second room was much larger but it had a view of the wall of another building. So it was quiet but no view. Although the 2nd room was right by 1 of the elevators and it was noisy but luckily it wasn't used as often as the others.

Lastly, you are 1/2 a block from a Fire Station, so you will hear sirens all the time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room up high or overlooking the courtyard if you want a quiet room.