“The hotel stinks…..of bad management.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square

You added TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square to your Saves list
TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Formerly Best Western Plus) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #371 of 464 Hotels in New York City
KGee82
“The hotel stinks…..of bad management.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed here with a group of friends whilst in NYC. We were all allocated rooms that varied in size and faulty and equipment! Having stayed in NY before in different hotels I completely expected the rooms to be small and this wouldn't have been a problem had the rooms been clean, the staff friendly/professional and everything in working order. There was also no where to store our suitcases once we'd unpacked as the room was so small so they were out which made the room even smaller (which I didn't think was possible!)
The hotel decor is really funky but totally let down by the standard of cleanliness not only in the rooms but in the communal areas. I feel no matter how much you pay or the star rating of the hotel it should, at the very least, be clean. Everyone in our party seemed to have issues with the temp in the rooms - they were so hot!! The heating/cooling system is so old and in most cases didn't work so we left our window open the whole time. The staff on reception seem to only want to provide the bare minimum of customer service, don't expect any empathy when approaching them with an issue - it's frustrating to say the least.
I think with better management this hotel could be transformed into a little gem as the location is amazing and yes it's a bit noisy week mornings but its New York, you'd expect noise like that in any big city and its hardly unbearable.

Room Tip: Request a large, clean room!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
BWTimesSquareNYC, General Manager at TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Traveler, I always enjoy hearing about our guests who enjoyed the hotel, but also like to hear of some of the small but important things that we can fix and become even better. Thank you for your recent feedback and we will continue actively to work on improving service levels.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion of the hotel by staying with us again. I can guarantee you that our standards of service will impress you on your next trip to the Big Apple. Please contact me at jdean@presidenthotelny.com so I may personally handle your reservations.

Regards,
Jay Dean, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Excellent location, the room was clean. The staff was nice.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a quick review. The Best Western PLUS President Hotel at Times Square offers an exceptional value just steps from most major attractions in New York City. We look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Jay Dean
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in January 2012 in room 215. The room was small but very clean and had great interior decoration. I have stayed in New York in other hotels and I was very pleased with this. I made the booking through travelocity and got a good deal on this place. There are great restaurants and guests get 10% discount on both the restaurants in the hotel premises. The property is well located with Times Square just around the corner.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chania Town, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

First night was TERRIBLE ! Tiny room, NO space for a crib and really really noisy . The worst however IS THAT IT IS SO DIRTY !!!! Changed to a room on the 11th floor to an even smaller room just because they said it would be quieter . Well, this room is so small there is no space for our 3 pieces of luggage , the baby crib cannot fit so baby has to sleep in bed wi th us , the noise is exactly the same and there seems to be something wrong with the heat. It is 2 degrees outside but i have the windows open to even he temperature. They said they did not know but when we got in thare already was a fan from the previous guests ... So.... Of course the knew there was a problem . WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments Upgrades to larger rooms are generally available.
I understand you were eventually moved to another room and I am glad the staff could help.
Please feel free to email me directly at jdean@presidenthtoelny.com.
Jay Dean
West Warwick, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in Jan 2012

Pros:
1) The location is perfect for tourists.

2) This is a boutique hotel. It's very artsy and well decorated, and somewhat gaudy. When I first walked in, I thought I had inadvertently entered a trendy restaurant because of the decor. I was turning to leave and a doorman approached me to ask if I was looking for the BW. I expected he would send me somewhere else, but to my surprise he told me I was in the right place. There's a beautiful fish tank behind the check-in desk. Staff were all very polite, but reserved.

3) The value was good, but please read the cons as well. Through my company, the hotel was half the price of others in the area. The room was nicely decorated and clean.

4) Internet speed was good, 10M down 4M up during the afternoon.

Cons:
1) The biggest problem was the heat. It was HOT in the middle of January. I can't imagine this place in the summer. I walked in and one window was slightly opened, and the room was 85F. I turned the AC on high and set the temperature to 40F. The room would not go below 78 with the windows closed and the air on. The entire floor was warm, not just my room. The room did have a portable fan. Before going to dinner, I opened all three windows, and put the fan in one. I hoped a pigeon didn't fly in because there are no screens. Returning I was pleased to find the room temp had dropped to 63. I dropped the AC from high to low, and closed the windows to try to sleep. Around 2am I woke up sweating because it was back up to 80F again. I opened the windows to breath, but even on the 14th floor, that lets all the noise of NY city in. There must be a boiler room below on the 13 floor, because even when I turned on the cold water, it came out hot. After running for a few minutes it will get cold...but it comes out hot, not warm.

2) The building itself is very old. There are 2 very old and narrow elevators, and 1 updated elevator. If there were ever a fire, I would not expect to get out alive with small elevators and staircase. On several trips in and out there were bags of rubbish in the hall, and several paint cans on a cart. I wouldn't call it unsafe, because it's probably "grandfathered" up to code, but it's not nearly as safe as a new hotel in my opinion.

3) The room keys are sensitive and stop working. During my two days there, my key stopped working, and I saw several other guests having the same problem.

4) There were no face cloths or hand towels in the room. I left a note for the cleaning staff, and returned to find the note was gone, but no face cloths or hand towels. I then asked at the front desk, and some were quickly sent up.

5) The room was tiny. Similar to staying on a boat. You have to plan ahead to move around. You won't fit in the room with two large suitcases.

Summary:
Overall good value for the price and great location. Probably the perfect place to stay after the ball drop on New Years eve, and I promise you'll warm up quickly. I would never consider staying here in the summer. The location and decor were great, but when I travel on business, I don't want to even think about the room, or temperature, or keys, etc. There are so many places to stay in the city.

Room Tip: Turn around and go back to the desk if it's hot when you walk in.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

For this price in manhattan, don't expect it to be anything good. The hotel looks nice from outside, the lobby, and the interior. A closer look shows everything cheap. We stayed in the suite, and our heater doesn't work, in freaking freezing cold new york winter. We called the front desk around 9pm, and was told will send someone up. 15 minutes passed after 2 more calls, finally he said the "someone" is having lunch!? and will be up in 15 more minutes. We have jetlag and need to sleep, so asked him to bring up some blankets. The next day, we asked the front desk, and she said will ask someone to take a look, when we got back, still not working, and room is cold in freaking ny winter.

Also, the sheet and blankets are dirty as someone stepped on it and never got washed in years. Not recommend to stay here unless you're on a shoe string.

Room Tip: impossible to choose a good room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Cortland, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

The hotel is really good and the rooms were clean. Being a gold Member with Best western rewards, I was offered a free upgrade to a suite and the room was really nice with the Microwave and refrigerator in it. It was really convenient location being very close to the Time Square. Overall and really nice Best Western plus hotel and affordable and good place to stay. The breakfast offered was really good and the staff was fantastic. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to TRYP by Wyndham New York Times Square? Share your experiences!