“Great location and nice staff...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 West 48th Street, Times Square, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #351 of 449 hotels in New York City
Georgia
“Great location and nice staff...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We arrived here via Priceline for the Veteran's Day weekend. We asked for an upgrade and rec'd one, but not complimentary as noted by the other review. The upgraded room was okay. King bed, pull out couch, jacuzzi tub...Our friends had another room and it was small, but we are quite used to that in NYC. After all, you aren't there to sit in your rooms, you are there to sleep (very little) and shower. This hotel is a great location to Time Square/Broadway. My only real complaint is the cleanliness of the room. It needed a good scrub down and dusting. The shower needed some clorox clean up and the room needed some murphy's oil soap! Not dirty, per say, you could just tell it needed a good scrub down. On the plus side, the bed and pull out couch were comfortable. Another plus, most of the staff were very nice. I would stay here again. However, it won't be my first choice. I won't use Priceline again for NYC. The last time we did, we got the Millinneum Hotel/Broadway and it was very nice. I just don't like taking chances. I really like the Comfort Inn Theatre District - 44th street.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

1,922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Greek first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

One good thing.....it was clean. Otherwise the online pictures of the hotel made the room look much bigger than it actually was. The room was so small my wife and I were having to get out of each others way just to get dressed. There was no place to store your luggage out of the way. The closet was an embarrassment. You couldn't even get into it without moving the side dresser. The hotel "lounge" (if you really wan to call it that) was limited in product, only took cash and the staff were terrible. The online description and pictures made it look like something completely different. I felt like we were deceived based on the pictures and line descriptions and the product. The Other good thing about my stay was the propensity of the woman who lived across the street to get completely naked and dance in her bedroom. However, even that didn't make it worth the almost 500 dollars a night I had to pay to stay there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I rubbed the Priceline genie bottle. My wish: a 3 or more star hotel near Times Square for $200/night. My wish was granted and I was awarded with 2 nights at this hotel. The "rack rate" for this hotel is about $200/night, so Priceline didn't do me any favors this time. Moreover, I think William Shatner and I need to discuss the definition of a 3 star hotel. I don't think this hotel qualifies. It is fine for what it is, a decent hotel for $200/night at Times Square. Given that the other hotels in the area go for $300 and up, one should not be surprised that this is not the Ritz. It is a bit frayed around the edges, but overall it works fine. Pluses: location, location, location. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful in the little ways that can set the good apart from the bad. They seemed to actually care. Negatives: not the cleanest hotel experience you will ever have. Hot water took about 5 minutes to make it up to my 6th floor shower and the in-room internet was a very weak connection indeed.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk. I think they will help you if they can.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the President Hotel over the 2011 NYC Marathon weekend. We were pleasantly surprised with the better-than-average room and "quirky" room decorations: an illuminated bust of George Washington on the desk, pillow covers with a silhouette of Thomas Jefferson and Warhol-like paintings of John & Jackie Kennedy on the wall. (It's the President Hotel. Get it?) The bathroom was nice -- with a double shower & steam bath feature. The location is perfect for Times Square and Theater District activities. This is not a modern, luxury hotel, but we found the staff helpful and the common areas clean and inviting.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

The Best Western was a situated in a perfect location, only footsteps to the main strip of Times Square. The staffs at the hotel were helpful the hotel itself was run quite well. I was rather disappointed though with how run down the hotel actually was compared to the images I had previously viewed online. I know you cannot always go by the photos, but I truly did expect a lot more than what was offered.

The room we stayed in was a standard room. The room was small, but not too bad but the bathroom was tiny. We could barely fit in the bathroom and close the door while we were in there.

All in all, I would stay here again for a quick stop over before moving to an apartment/more luxurious hotel, but for the price we paid for this hotel I was not satisfied with the quality of our room.

The breakfast was good, and the staff were lovely, I think the hotel just needs a bit of a makeover.. or they need to update their photos.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road, garbage trucks are quite noisey and come very early of a morning.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Not to make the titel of this review sound misleading, but it is what it is.

I enjoyed my stay over Verterns Day weekend. When I arrived Thursday night I was assited by the front desk promptly and was told I recieved a complementary upgrade. I would hate to see what teh other room looksed like, but the room I had or course was small, like many NYC hotel rooms, but was functional. TV on the wall, bed desk, small closet space and a decent bathroom. Everything was clean so no complaints there. The room was work but I opened the windows up a bit and it was fine. The noise of the city didn't really bother me.

My room was right when you walked of the elevator and there was an elevator shaft next to my room, but it didn't make noise. There was some late night noise on Saturday night when people were coming back late in the night, but other than that no problems.

The problem I had was the price, which even at the Priceline bid I placed was still too much for this average hotel. Yes, it's about a 1/2 block from Times Square, but so are a few other hotels I've stayed at and paid less, for more amenities.

My stay was OK. It was a place to sleep inbetween your NYC experience. If I find a lower price for this hotel for my next trip I would consider staying again, but at the price I paid, it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is lovely. The staff and management were great and extremely helpful. If you stay here, they have a great bar, attached restaurant and a very nice american breakfast in the lounge area. My room was warm but opening the window helped. I definitely recommend this hotel and exploring the great 9th Avenue restaurants, bars and nightlife (i.e., The Eatery, The Snug and Room Service Thai, Therapy). We had so much fun.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS President Hotel at Times Square? Share your experiences!