“A great little gem of a hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Peck Slip, New York City, NY 10038-1708 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #74 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Halifax, Canada
“A great little gem of a hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I've been wanting to visit NYC ever since I was a kid, and I finally got to do it this september. I decided to book the South Street Seaport Inn, since it was close to the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, which I admire, and wanted to walk.

I got into NYC on an early flight, arriving at my hotel a little before 9 am. Since it was so early, they could not check me in yet, but offered to hold my bags for me until check in time later in the day. At the desk, I asked about a request I had made some time earlier- that my terrace room be facing the Brooklyn Bridge. The lady at the desk wasn't sure if she could do it, saying that they had a wedding the same day. I didn't say anything, but inwardly I was thinking "Oh no..So much for my bridge view! Single me has no chance against a wedding party!"
I didn't get upset though- not the hotel's fault that a bridge fan and a wedding party rolled into town on the same day.

Later that day I returned to check in, and my room still wasn't ready yet. Again, I didn't get upset, these things happen, and the place was pretty busy. After a bit of a wait, they called me over to the desk, saying that they had a really nice room for me, that it would be worth waiting for.
Was it ever!
They gave me one of the corner terrace rooms! It overlooked not only the Brooklyn Bridge, but downtown Manhattan. The terrace was huge, and the views were spectacular!

One thing I really liked was the free wi-fi all through the hotel, which was great. I could keep up with my emails in the privacy of my own room, and even use skype to video chat with folks at home.
The free continental breakfast was great too, with lots of goodies offered.

Overall, I had a great time at this hotel, and would gladly go back. The neighborhood felt safe at all hours, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is lovely- I had no complaint to make of cleanliness or repair. I would gladly reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in NYC.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Dear LadyAmanita,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate when guests let us know how we are doing. I do apologize that you had to wait to get into your room but we always do our very best to provide accommodation as soon as possible. It is challenging to accommodate early check in requests because most guests arriving to New York City are looking for early check in, especially wedding parties that need to get ready in time. We are very pleased that we were able to give you one of our corner rooms with a great view of the Brooklyn bridge and east river. I would agree these rooms are worth the wait. We hope to see you again soon!

Thank you.

ZB Moham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Moosic, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room I found to be very clean and well decorated. The bed was comfortable and we heard no noise at all.Husband and I were going to a wedding and the hotel staff let us check in super early which was an enormous help to us. Parking lot is close by and costs $25/day. A little steep, but afterall its New York City! The location is great if you want to visit the seaport and its attractions.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Amyd1972,

Thank you for your feed back. We appreciate when guests take their time to let us know how were are doing. Our location is ideal when you drive into the City. Even though the price may seem high we are very competitive with the other hotels in our market and usually considerably lower then midtown Manhattan hotels who do not have great access to the FDR drive and the Brooklyn bridge. We hope to see you again soon.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We had been to other Best Westerns in this trip and all of them were worth every penny. Nevertheless, the one in New York did not meet our requirements at all. The fridge in the room had been turned off when we arrived, the TV had very few channels so we were forced to watch the U.S Open matches in the lobby and we had to call for assistance withthe free high speed internet There were only four tables to have breakfast which obliged guests to take their breakfast to their room or sit around on armachairs and sofas in the hall! At front desk we were told that the hotel had a taxi that could take us to the airport for $55.- but they never mentioned that we could have hired a shuttle for less than that. All in all, I'd say that the hotel was spotless, which is a lot to say in New York, no complain about that, but once again it was way too expensive for what it offered.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seaporthotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Dear Tess006,

We want to thank you for your feedback. We can only make improvments to our services and property if we know what our guest think. We take pride in our cleanliness and maintenance of our property and we are glad that it had a positive impact on your stay. We at the seport strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank You

TALLMADGE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

If you are looking to be out of the Times Square area, and want a free breakfast, free wi-fi and Queen size beds, this hotel is for you! We LOVED being in this historic area that has been turned into a beautiful shopping/restaurant site! Great views of the Brooklyn Bridge right from our hotel window(ask to be on that side on an upper floor.) Our hotel room was clean, spacious, with queen sized beds (great if you have tall people like us.) Our room looked like it had recently been updated. We stayed for 4 nights in early August for @$250 each night. A little pricey for our budget but in hindsight well worth it.
Our only complaint is not the hotel's fault-the nearest subway entrance is not right outside their door. It was a 5 to 10 minute walk. (I know-I am being whiney.)
Elevators were quick, showerhead was fabulous, flatscreen TV, nice size bathroom, and again, the beds were queen sized and comfy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

After 2 days of midtown Manhattan we were happy to relax in the Seaport area. The hotel was nice and had a very spacious room. The breakfast in the morning was great. My kids loved the waffle maker and there was a good variety of foods to choose from. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My visit was from June 27-Jul. 2nd. I was there for a business trip, which it was close to the Staten Island ferry (about .7 miles). When I arrived on Sunday afternoon, there was a line of customers waiting to get checked-in and had questions. There was only 1 hotel clerk working. My room was bigger then the Gild Hall hotel room, I stayed in last year. But, it was a bit dingy. The bed was like sleeping, almost on the floor. Definetly, a firm mattress. It was quiet and clean. They do have smoking rooms on the same floor as non-smoking, but I didn't smell any cigarette smoke.
The continental breakfast in the morning, was sufficient. They had make-it-yourself waffles, cereal, danish, bagels and croissants. But, no other warm entrees (a little eggs would be nice). So, I mostly skipped it.
It is about 1-2 blocks from the Seaport pier and there are many restaurants in the area. You have to walk about 2 blocks to get a yellow cab or they can call a black car to pick you up, but it's more money. I was able to flag down a yellow cab right outside the hotel.
When I was there, the Seaport had a big promo for World Soccer, so there were lots of events going on throughout the day. But, it was not noisey at the hotel.
If you are on a budget or want to stay near the Seaport, this is a decent place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

The hotel room was quite adequate, reasonably clean and the staff responded quickly to fix some minor problems. Breakfast was included and it was all right. The coffee and cookies in the afternoon were uninteresting. There were two subway stations 5 or 6 blocks away and we traveled everywhere by subway and by bus, which was great except for the day of the wedding we were attending: there was a breakdown in the subway with a nasty detour. Wall Street, Chinatown, the Brooklyn Bridge and Ground Zero were within walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Seaport Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!