“Dream ... More of a Weekend Nightmare” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dream New York

Save Saved
You added Dream New York to your Saves list
Dream New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 10%
Ranked #334 of 451 hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dream ... More of a Weekend Nightmare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

While staying in NYC on business, I booked a room - albeit from a discount site - to stay at Dream. My trip had me staying the weekend so that I could continue working into the next week. As a result, my husband and daughter came to stay with me Saturday to Monday. At first glance, the hotel was perfectly located near Central Park, museums, restaurants and my place of work for a week. I even enjoyed the Bar downstairs on Friday night. It was loud but fun. Saturday night, however, was a nightmare. I woke up at 1 am to loud music and bumping base from the nightclub on the hotel rooftop. I was in room 1212, two floors down from the nightclub. Still unable to sleep at 3 am, I called the front desk. The associate told me that the hotel doesn't own the nightclub and could do nothing but ask them to turn down the volume but that it usually doesn't work. He did offer complimentary breakfast - which was somewhat of a consolation. The next morning in the elevator, I spoke to another person who apparently had the same complaint and she was on the 8th floor - a good distance away from the top floor nightclub. I'm pretty open-minded and enjoy eclectic hotels. I've stayed in many. But this one does not rate high b/c of the experience on the weekend. When I tried moving hotels the next day, the front desk associates said I had pre-paid so it wasn't possible unless I wanted to lose money. So I stayed 4 more nights - luckily noise free. I just want to warn anyone who is staying the weekend - be aware of the nightclub noise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dream_NewY0rk, Director at Dream New York, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Ms. Valdes,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I can't apologize enough for not providing you a restful night which is any hotel's primary purpose. It’s simply unacceptable that we missed the opportunity to apologize, and move you to one of the many quiet parts of the hotel and avoid this entire scenario. I can assure you that I will personally look into why we failed you and immediate measures are taken to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future.I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you at the Dream. Please reach out to me personally and I will ensure that your next experience is far different from your last.

Varun Malik

1,175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was expecting a lot more when I booked this hotel. Its very trendy and the rooms are interesting but I was surprised at how small they were. Its New York so I didn't expect anything huge but there was only a few feet of space around the bed. I wasn't very impressed with the service either. I was looking for the ice machine on my floor and asked an employee that happened to be walking by and he gave attitude when he told me there wasn't a machine on my floor. Just really surly in his demeanor.

Ultimately, the place was very trendy and the decorating was original but the service was lacking considering the price of the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Queensbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I must give a big shout out to Jose and Diego! Two gentleman that made our stay perfect. The location is great and the ambiance is special. The hotel is very modern with all the special touches. Thanks again Jose and Diego for all your support and kindness!

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel in a premium location, close to Central Park. Wonderful aquarium at the entrance in a lounge "blue" ambiance. Service is ok, bathroom a bit small.
Concierge is very helpful. Be aware of noise from the hotel trash on the other side of the street.

• Stayed August 2012
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Dream is a perfectly ok hotel: the staff is polite and helpful and the rooms are a decent size and, wisely painted white, since they get little daylight. The major problem with this place is the dumb-dumb hipster bar scene in the lobby watering hole. Young, loud drunkards abound and of course, there's the velvet rope you have to walk by to get to your elevator. I stayed on weekend nights, maybe it's chill during the week.

For a far more relaxing midtown hotel vibe check out 6 Columbus instead. It's similar in decor to Dream but a lot calmer and more mature.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Roswell, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I spent very little time at the hotel, but the room was good. Very small, but to be expected in New York when you book a double bed. Room was clean and had everything that I needed as a business traveler. Everyone at the front desk/bellhop were helpful and cordial. It was quite loud - my room was overlooking Broadway (I could see the Letterman entrance from my window.) I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at Dream last night at the end of a week in NY it is is a great property in a very good location. Funky decor throughout both in the foyer and the rooms and front desk staff were very good. The Bellhop was the best of the staff and the concierge was by far the worst. Way too much attitude, with little willingness to be helpful - let down an otherwise great property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dream New York? Share your experiences!