“It's just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dream New York

You added Dream New York to your Saves list
Dream New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #339 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Portland, Oregon
“It's just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Dream is a perfectly ok hotel: the staff is polite and helpful and the rooms are a decent size and, wisely painted white, since they get little daylight. The major problem with this place is the dumb-dumb hipster bar scene in the lobby watering hole. Young, loud drunkards abound and of course, there's the velvet rope you have to walk by to get to your elevator. I stayed on weekend nights, maybe it's chill during the week.

For a far more relaxing midtown hotel vibe check out 6 Columbus instead. It's similar in decor to Dream but a lot calmer and more mature.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Roswell, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I spent very little time at the hotel, but the room was good. Very small, but to be expected in New York when you book a double bed. Room was clean and had everything that I needed as a business traveler. Everyone at the front desk/bellhop were helpful and cordial. It was quite loud - my room was overlooking Broadway (I could see the Letterman entrance from my window.) I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at Dream last night at the end of a week in NY it is is a great property in a very good location. Funky decor throughout both in the foyer and the rooms and front desk staff were very good. The Bellhop was the best of the staff and the concierge was by far the worst. Way too much attitude, with little willingness to be helpful - let down an otherwise great property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've stayed at Dream 3x's, I'm a frequent visitor to the City, Dream & Serefina (the restaurant at the hotel) being a favorite stop, even when we stay elsewhere - we always stop for a bite to eat (no reservations) or for a drink (weather permitting @ Ava - the rooftop bar.

Things went off the rails during the last trip; usually I'm in town working, so the reservation is prepared in advance under my name - not that it should matter - but my husband was called to NY for work and we decided to use Hotel Tonight for a last minute great rate (confident we were booking at a great place). When we checked in we were given a room with a double bed and told it was what HT booked for us. HT indicated the hotel determines the room (enough room for 2 adults) based on availability. My husband insisted on a room with at least 2 double beds - two adults in a double bed??? We're little people, but still - it's TOO SMALL, so we were offered a room for $50 with a king bed - we took it. I planned to speak to the clerk @ check out anyway, but as it turns out - our rooms/the king bed was temporary - every 8 minutes the heat or some vent would come on - we ended up changing rooms at 2am - to a room with 2 double beds. When I called down to report the problem, they said they'd send someone up to look @ the problem - I nearly told them to bring our car up... service was terrible. The next morning during check-out we reported the trouble, the desk associate seemed like she could have cared less, then handed us a bill, including the fee for the "upgrade." I asked to speak to a manager and after a quick explanation the fee was waived - but still the service was terrible! I was really very surprised, I don't know if the hotel would have cared that we were loyal guests who sought out the property, even though we didn't book directly - that is the impression I left with... I was very disappointed.

Would I give them another try? Maybe - the location, rooms, beds, everything I love about the hotel (except the restaurant/bar) I can find elsewhere - W (Westin), Night... It will be awhile, but - I'll probably give them another try.

Room Tip: Average size for NY - all rooms have comfy beds. Higher floors help if you are bothered by noise of...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived at the hotel my wife and I felt right at home.Victor the bellhop took such great care of us and was very informative which for us was a great help.We would stay at the hotel again because of his services and friendliness alone.We did think the size of the rooms could have been bigger and the door hits the sink in the bathroom.We realize its NYC and every inch counts.On the other hand the late night front desk man was not as helpful and friendly as you would expect from a hotel of dream like caliber.With that being said even with these small,isolated,lack luster mishaps it's because of Victors overall professionalism we were able to look past those less the perfect incidents and rate you staff with a high hospitality rating. Overall the experience was great and would stay there again.(date of stay 12/15/12-12/16/12)

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We arrived for a late check-in and got to our room quickly. The room was adequately sized and clean but there were a few blue lights that were hard to turn off. We never did figure out how to turn off the ones under the bed.

Elevators came quickly and the hotel robes were warm and absorbant. The hotel was definitely good, but not very good.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Dream Hotel New York
A good base for NYC

Ideally situated between Times Sq and Central Park

Stayed five nights in December 2012. Only about a ten/fifteen minute walk to Times Square which is great. Lobby and rooms have a stylish blue neon theme throughout which is quite cool. The rooms are small! And I do mean small! But that having been said, we weren't here to spend all day in the room. The bed was beautifully soft. It was supposed to be a queen........seemed more like a double to me. Bathroom was good, again small but does the job. Staff at front desk were very helpful win directions etc. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found it to e a good base during our New York stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dream New York? Share your experiences!