“Usually a Hit - But This Was a Miss...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dream Midtown

You added Dream Midtown to your Saves list
Dream Midtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly Dream New York) (Midtown)   |
Ranked #257 of 464 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Usually a Hit - But This Was a Miss...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've stayed at Dream 3x's, I'm a frequent visitor to the City, Dream & Serefina (the restaurant at the hotel) being a favorite stop, even when we stay elsewhere - we always stop for a bite to eat (no reservations) or for a drink (weather permitting @ Ava - the rooftop bar.

Things went off the rails during the last trip; usually I'm in town working, so the reservation is prepared in advance under my name - not that it should matter - but my husband was called to NY for work and we decided to use Hotel Tonight for a last minute great rate (confident we were booking at a great place). When we checked in we were given a room with a double bed and told it was what HT booked for us. HT indicated the hotel determines the room (enough room for 2 adults) based on availability. My husband insisted on a room with at least 2 double beds - two adults in a double bed??? We're little people, but still - it's TOO SMALL, so we were offered a room for $50 with a king bed - we took it. I planned to speak to the clerk @ check out anyway, but as it turns out - our rooms/the king bed was temporary - every 8 minutes the heat or some vent would come on - we ended up changing rooms at 2am - to a room with 2 double beds. When I called down to report the problem, they said they'd send someone up to look @ the problem - I nearly told them to bring our car up... service was terrible. The next morning during check-out we reported the trouble, the desk associate seemed like she could have cared less, then handed us a bill, including the fee for the "upgrade." I asked to speak to a manager and after a quick explanation the fee was waived - but still the service was terrible! I was really very surprised, I don't know if the hotel would have cared that we were loyal guests who sought out the property, even though we didn't book directly - that is the impression I left with... I was very disappointed.

Would I give them another try? Maybe - the location, rooms, beds, everything I love about the hotel (except the restaurant/bar) I can find elsewhere - W (Westin), Night... It will be awhile, but - I'll probably give them another try.

Room Tip: Average size for NY - all rooms have comfy beds. Higher floors help if you are bothered by noise of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

From the moment we arrived at the hotel my wife and I felt right at home.Victor the bellhop took such great care of us and was very informative which for us was a great help.We would stay at the hotel again because of his services and friendliness alone.We did think the size of the rooms could have been bigger and the door hits the sink in the bathroom.We realize its NYC and every inch counts.On the other hand the late night front desk man was not as helpful and friendly as you would expect from a hotel of dream like caliber.With that being said even with these small,isolated,lack luster mishaps it's because of Victors overall professionalism we were able to look past those less the perfect incidents and rate you staff with a high hospitality rating. Overall the experience was great and would stay there again.(date of stay 12/15/12-12/16/12)

• Stayed December 2012
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We arrived for a late check-in and got to our room quickly. The room was adequately sized and clean but there were a few blue lights that were hard to turn off. We never did figure out how to turn off the ones under the bed.

Elevators came quickly and the hotel robes were warm and absorbant. The hotel was definitely good, but not very good.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Dream Hotel New York
A good base for NYC

Ideally situated between Times Sq and Central Park

Stayed five nights in December 2012. Only about a ten/fifteen minute walk to Times Square which is great. Lobby and rooms have a stylish blue neon theme throughout which is quite cool. The rooms are small! And I do mean small! But that having been said, we weren't here to spend all day in the room. The bed was beautifully soft. It was supposed to be a queen........seemed more like a double to me. Bathroom was good, again small but does the job. Staff at front desk were very helpful win directions etc. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found it to e a good base during our New York stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you wish to be near Time Warner/Central Park this is a great location.......several very easy blocks away.
It is a bit unique and found the room to be a bit on the small side but very clean. Staff was also quite pleasant
during 3 day stay. The bar on the top floor has a beautiful view down to Times Square. We did not try the restaurant but the menu and atmosphere looked very nice. I will most likely try to stay here again. You do not
need to use taxis because bus goes down 7th avenue and you can connect. It is also near Carnegie Hall
and several blocks from Fifth Ave. Ask for room in quiteter part of hotel.

Room Tip: LIked breakfast at Fluffies across 7th.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I chose the hotel with online information and we were not disappointed. The rooms are small, but the hotel is full of artistic ambience. The lobby with the two-story reef/aquarium, the elevator with the two-story tatooed couple, the way the carpet is laid in the hallways, the dining room itself--all speak of careful attention to detail. We really enjoyed it. The Bar which opened at 5 and was hopping by 6 had a great vibe and delicious pizza. All the staff was friendly and accommodating. There are nearby eating places for variety and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are small, but our corner room had a view down W 55th and we were happy with the sights...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Because of its nightlife scene and general hipness, this hotel may have some appeal for some. I stayed for two nights in December on business, trying to keep costs down. I was on the 5th floor, no bar noise. However, the general noise of people in the hallway penetrated the room and made it difficult to sleep. Even as NYC hotels go, the room (on an alley side) was very small, with a small queen bed barely fitting. The bathroom was efficiently designed, but very small. Although I found nothing really gross, it was clear that maintenance was lacking. Unless they love each other very much and are rather small, I don't see how two people fit in this room.

Its midtown location is very good, and its an easy walk to 8th and 9th streets to find fun and moderately priced food. I gave it an average rating because the staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dream_NewY0rk, Director at Dream Midtown, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear GoHawks5,
We are very sorry you were disturbed by some late night revelers retiring to their neighboring rooms without much consideration for their fellow guests. We have security patrolling our floors at all times but we must have missed to escort these loud guests to their rooms. The room that you stayed in is not one of our largest. It’s our small room and is 200 square feet. We also offer Medium Queens, Large Kings, Junior Suite,1 Bedroom Suite, and of course the Presidential Suite. We’d love for you to experience one of these on your next stay. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can see to your arrangements personally.
Varun Malik

Been to Dream Midtown? Share your experiences!