“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dream New York

Save Saved
You added Dream New York to your Saves list
Dream New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 10%
Ranked #334 of 451 hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I don't know where to start. I arrived and found my room to be absolutely disgusting. The bathroom was dirty, the paint was peeling off the walls, the phone and clock looked to be twenty years old, half the channels on the TV didn't work, room was ice cold, etc. Frustrated, I went to the front desk informing them that I was not interested in staying in such a disgusting room. To their credit, they offered to upgrade my room and took me to see something bigger.This one was still in rough shape, but bigger and slightly cleaner, with a bigger bathroom, yet no space to put any toiletries. On my tour to see the new room, I was informed by staff that they were aware of the poor quality of the rooms, and that the hotel was getting a much needed facelift. Yet I was still being charged $350.00 a night. I accepted the room, as I had no patience to pack up and leave. I wanted to watch a movie in my room, but found that they had no movies for purchase. Great. The next morning, I woke up to find that the shower barely dribbled out any water. Unacceptable. I had to attend a conference and dropped back at my room to drop off some stuff. My room key didn't work. The system was frozen downstairs so I couldn't get another key. They sent someone up to let me into my room. Now at the end of a long day, when I just want to get to bed, the rooftop patio is blaring into my room. Unable to sleep, I found that the Chandler had a room available and decided to take off. I complained to the front desk and once I was told that there were no more rooms available, the desk person stated "Oh, didn't they tell you about the noise when they checked in?" Incredulous, I spent the next half hour searching for another hotel. When I finally found one, I informed the staff at the desk that I was checking out, and was told that I would not be able to have the charge removed until I spoke to a manager. I was understandably upset by this, and the front desk person waved at me dismissively and said "Whatever. Bye!". Unbelievable. I know there is very little that they could do for me, but showing a little sympathy would have helped. To their credit, I called this morning and they removed my room charge without any arguments. Let's see what happens when I check my credit card account. All in all, a horrible experience in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dream_NewY0rk, Director at Dream New York, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Jordan P,

Thank you for leaving your feedback. I would like to apologize for your less than favourable experience with us. We pride ourselves in providing nothing but the best guest experience and we are disappointed that we did not live up to your expectations. I prefer not to make excuses. We got it wrong and the only thing that matters now is learning from these missteps, which we will share with the staff here, and getting it right by you. And getting it right is what we’re committed to doing.I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads and immediate measures are taken to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future.

Varun Malik

1,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We booked 4 days for our honeymoon and arrived a day late. We were told they sold our room that was per-paid and then made it out like they were doing us a flavour by giving us another room with two single beds. The room was on the first floor right above a night club so sleep was not a option. Wifi was advertised as free but really costs $10 a day that is if it is available due the limited users permitted.

The trucks picking up rubbish at 3 in the morning was the last of the points you should prepare for.

If you want to stay is a nice over priced pub then this should be your choice.

Room Tip: Stay at 47th and 9th street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed three nights in November, 2012. Mini family reunion - One sister from Baltimore, one from SLC and one from Sacramento! We hadn't stayed at the Dream before and were curious after we read some of the other reviews. We were IMPRESSED from the minute we walked in. Every member of the staff was friendly, happy to help and knowledgable. The rooms are typical NYC sized (small), but were well appointed, clean and comfortable. Turndown service with a delicious orange was a nice surprise. Restaurant and bars were great - walk to Times Square and all of the shopping and theatres. Loved it. We will definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The lobby way is fab and the decor beautiful.
Rooms are small and basic but its Manhattan and they were very clean.
Staff friendly and great.
THE BEST PART.......roof top bar and club, by far one of the best parts of our trip!
The club really comes alive at night and you can spend hours sitting in the sunshine watching the world go by from up there.
We were lucky enough to catch a concert wth Jay Z and Eminem being filmed on the roof top opposite while we were there sipping champagne..... GOOD TIMES!
Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you spend a lot of time in your room and like more space upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The positives: great location, hip vibe, nice rooftop bar, comfy beds. The negatives: it feels a bit worn, slow elevators, the shower had mold, and very noisy doors. I did not think you got enough bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the elevator!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dream_NewY0rk, Director at Dream New York, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Nancy,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I can't apologize enough for not providing you a restful night which is any hotel's primary purpose. It’s simply unacceptable that we missed the opportunity to apologize, move you to one of the many quiet parts of the hotel and avoid this entire scenario. I can assure you that I will personally look into why we failed you.
With reference to the room conditions we have a very aggressive preventative maintenance program in place where we make sure that all of our guestrooms are in great working order and uphold the standards of Dream Hotels. We apologize that we didn’t quite get to your room prior to your stay. We also have some soft renovations planned for the following year with some wonderful changes and updates to look forward to.
I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you at the Dream. Please reach out to me personally and I will ensure that your next experience is far different from your last.

Best regards,
Varun Malik
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a great experience at the Dream. Staff friendly and professional, rooms spotless, location ideal (so easy to go for an early morning run in Central Park), bars and restaurants on site good and reasonable for New York, and even got a room upgrade which made an already competitive rate even better. It would take me a lot to want to stay anywhere else in NYC - as Goldilocks would say - just right!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I tried very hard to escape Manhattan before hurricane Sandy hit the city but could not get out in time. So I made the decision to find a hotel in midtown because I felt that they had a good chance of having power through the storm. We took a car service on Monday (the day the storm started to roll ashore) to the hotel early and had to wait for a few hours for the suite to be cleaned. That was alright with me because I knew that the hotel would be short staffed and any of the people who stayed or came to work would be a blessing. It was worth the wait. Barbara helped us at the front desk and was very kind and helpful. We continued to say hello and joke with her throughout the next three days about the storm and situation there. Our power did stay on, and Barbara worked around the clock to keep the hotel open and running while not being able to go home herself. The restaurant downstairs also stayed open throughout the stay and with some patience we ate and drank well every night. I am glad I weathered the storm here at Dream, very happy with the service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dream New York? Share your experiences!