“Loved The Dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dream New York

Save Saved
You added Dream New York to your Saves list
Dream New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #329 of 446 hotels in New York City
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
“Loved The Dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I took my husband to THE DREAM for his 50th birthday WE LOVED IT! The aquatic decor and ice blue lighting gives good karma as soon as you walk in.

The rooftop bar was excellent great views, and the rooms were super comfy. We will go back to the Dream New Yor!

1,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I enjoyed the hotel and my room was clean and decent size for New York. The fun part was check out. Well after spending 100 bucks on the mini bar in the room, I was surprised the next day to find an additional $70 charge on my card. The explanation for this charge is that they put a hold on the card if you spend over $100 in the mini bar. The price you pay for a king size room you would think the mini bar is free. I am still waiting 5 days later for them to return my money. Make sure you ask of any non included fees before signing in.

Sharon, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Only paid $139 thru Hotel Tonite. Stayed here 3 different times, never been disappointed. Good location, rooftop bar. Decent rooms. Not the greatest, but certainly good enough. Lobby is cool. Rooms can range from small to spacious. One time I had a bathroom with a window, which doesn't happen too often in NYC

• Stayed September 2012
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Just returned last week from a 4 night stay at the Dream Hotel New York and have mixed feelings about the hotel.

Pros:

Excellent location! This is definitely the hotels biggest positive. Can see Broadway from the windows and can walk to times square and central park within a few minutes. Lots of cafes and a starbucks very close by too.

Rooftop bar- a little pricey but pretty much what you would expect for a place like this, plus it is New York! They don't tell you about the rooftop bar but I knew there was one from reading previous reviews. There are infact 2 bars- 1 is indoors on the top floor where you can stand and gaze out the window to a lovely view however after an hour there I discovered you could walk up some stairs to the actual rooftop bar. It has a lovely atmosphere and we went on a Thursday so was fairly busy but I can imagine this place getting really busy at weekends.

Lobby- very impressive décor with a huge aquarium in the middle. Gives a very good first impression of the hotel as it has a very modern feel to it.

Wifi - doesn't have free wifi In the rooms you have to pay around $10 per day per device if you want to connect in your room but you do have free wifi in the lobby area and some nice comfy seating to sit on if you want to surf the net.

Cab - although it was a little pricey the hotels cab service was very efficient. We were in a rush to get to the airport so we used it and found it more convenient than trying to get a yellow cab.

Friendly staff - all the staff from the porters, the receptionist and the cleaners were all very friendly and helpful at all times. It was my husbands birthday so I took him for tea at the ritz but we had lots of cakes left over which we brought back with us. We called up and explained to reception that we needed to store these cakes somewhere cool and they arranged for our mini fridge to be emptied so we could store them in there which we thought was very good of them.

Umbrellas- Although it was very hot and humid while we were in New York there were also several rain showers which we weren't prepared for. At the hotel you can ask to take one of the many large umbrellas they have to use which I thought was a very useful thing.

We forgot to bring the correct plug with us but the reception gave us one for a small deposit which was refunded when we returned it.

Comfortable Beds- the beds are very comfortable indeed and they do clean the room daily and change covers daily if you want aswell.

Cons:

It is not the cleanest hotel I have to say. I have to admit I do have a bit of and OCD about hotel cleanliness but there were certain things I would have expected to be cleaner for a 4 star hotel. Also I got an amazing deal on this hotel but the full price without this offer is quite expensive so you would expect it to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness! The carpet looked a bit dirty, there was dust on the bed side tables, the ironing board was extremely worn out, there was a bit of mould on the tiles in the bathroom, the drain seemed to be a bit blocked as it was taking forever for the water to go down, the glass shelf in the bathroom looked very dirty indeed. On the plus side the bed covers and the towels were pretty clean (which is the most important thing for me!).

The air con was so noisy at night! Not constantly but every 15 mins or so it would start making these really loud noises, at one point it was so loud that I thought someone was hoovering outside our room at 1 in the morning!

The neon lights in the room do create a modern look but do get very annoying as no matter how many times you switch them off they are always switched back on again by the cleaners! No big deal though as we found it quite amusing and this is easily solved by flicking a switch!

The room was very small but I think this is the norm for New York so again no big deal.

No kettle in the room which would have been nice but there is a starbucks a short walk away so its not too bad for coffee lovers like me ;-)

Would I stay there again? Ummmm probably for the right price definatley not for full price. Maybe I would have felt differently if I had stayed longer or spent longer in my room as its not the kind of place you can relax in your room but then again New York isn't the kind of city you go to just to spend lots of time in your room!

pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Dream Midtown has a super location... A walk away from great shopping and some delicious restaurants... The Serafina Italian restaurant serves the most delicious food and Ava the rooftop lounge is absolutely rocking on a saturday night... Try the red wine sangria - its a must!
Stayed in the suite which is amazing in size of a small New York Midtown property!

Room Tip: Suites are superb in size!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtice, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I travel regularly on business and was not shocked at the small size of the room, this was expected and not a problem but this was the first hotel in NYC where I was not comfortable putting my toothbrush down in the bathroom. There were many mystery splatters throughout the room and the blinds were downright filthy with drips and stains. Most of the mess, including dust and dirty fingerprints on the light switches looked like something that could easily be solved with a damp cloth, but apparently this effort has not been made in quite some time. The shower tile was very stained looking. I had a look at the mattress under the sheets and it was very worn. There was a ring around the toilet bowl and the rust/ grunge under the glass shelves in the bathroom was super gross. Carpet was clean & the bed was comfortable, I'll give them that! The lobby has some interesting decor items and the elevators are relatively quick. There is a good concept here but the filth is a total deal breaker. The staff were friendly and helpful with me, but I definitely heard some attitude being handed out to other guests. I didn't even know that there was a pool or rooftop patio (read other reviews), they didn't mention any of this at check in. The location is great and I suppose that they sell rooms easily based on this fact alone, but there are better choices, see my other reviews if you want to know some of them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dream_NewY0rk, Manager at Dream New York, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Shawkir,
Please allow me to sincerely and profoundly apologize for what is a regrettable and certainly avoidable set of circumstances. I prefer not to make excuses. We got it wrong and the only thing that matters now is learning from these missteps, which we will share with the respective departments and staff here, and getting it right by you. And getting it right is what we’re committed to doing. I have addressed your points with the relevant department heads and immediate measures are taken to ensure that experiences such as these are prevented in the future
With reference to the room conditions we have a very aggressive preventative maintenance program in place where we make sure that all of our guestrooms are in great working order and uphold the standards of Dream Hotels. We apologize that we didn’t quite get to your room prior to your stay. We also have some soft renovations planned for the following year with some wonderful changes and updates to look forward to.
I truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to host you at the Dream. Please reach out to me personally and I will ensure that your next experience is far different from your last.

Varun Malik
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location. Its just a block away from Central Park. It is walking distance to Fifth Avenue and Times Square. There is a subway station (7th Ave) right outside the doors. Seraphina restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner in the lobby. The Carnegie Deli is right around the corner as well as a great sandwich shop that's open late. I made the mistake of not taking the "quieter room" when asked upon checking in. Not only was I on the second floor (close to the street in a city where they pick up the trash at night) but the a/c was very loud and so was the toilet when it would stick. The room was very basic and uninviting. I found out - when the maid staff came into my room while I was in bed - that the "Do Not Disturb" sign is a button you push on the peep hole otherwise it is a doorbell. Luckily you can turn the bluelights off in the desk and under the bed. Otherwise the rest of the lights including the bathroom lights are industrial desk lamp types except for the standing lamp that didn't work. I warn you the bluelight acts similar to a blacklight and they need to do a better job vacuuming. The only reason I gave this place 3 stars instead of 2 is mainly because of the location and I only paid about $275/night which I'm told is pretty cheap. If you're looking for a basic room with a bathroom to lay your head on your next trip to NYC this will suffice. I will say the staff was very very nice. But I will stay at a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room - Get a higher floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dream New York? Share your experiences!