“Manhattan at its most romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Garden In Chelsea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
A Garden In Chelsea
439 West 22nd Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #10 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Manhattan at its most romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A real gem: a thoughtfully equipped studio apartment with a huge bed and fabulous new shower room, leading onto a shady garden, perfect for coffee and croissants. Located in a townhouse on an historic tree-lined street, a short stroll to the High Line on 10th Avenue, the Hudson River park and to a multitude of restaurants and delis, this is Manhattan at its most romantic. Buses and the subway are close by for easy access to other parts of New York City.

This was the first time I had used the internet to rent an apartment in the USA and I was apprehensive. My worries were unfounded. Owners Karen Jacob and Paul Vershbow live on site and are welcoming, friendly hosts (but not intrusive), and have a wealth of local information. This was particularly reassuring when I needed urgent dental treatment.

I would recommend A Garden in Chelsea to any couple, pairs of friends or to people travelling alone, who are looking for something more than an impersonal hotel. My partner and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A wonderful 5 nights in this exquisite apartment overlooking peaceful secret gardens in Chelsea. Karen and Paul could not have been better hosts. Super helpful and considerate. A large light living room overlooking a tree lined street. A large quiet bedroom at the back. Woken by bird song each morning. We'll be back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A lovely oasis to come back to after the hubbub of the city! Spacious, homey, with plenty of space to put your stuff. Birdsong in the morning, quiet in the evening--a perfect home away from home.
We will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Westport, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

What a find! After a full and exciting day in the big NYC, retreat to the most perfect oasis you will ever find. A Garden in Chelsea offers everything you could want. Charm, location, amenities & gracious hosts, Karen & Paul, who share their local knowledge with you. The joy of staying in a brownstone in Chelsea with a garden included is absolutely unbeatable. This is the place I will be staying again & again. I am too spoiled to go anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I consider it a real blessing to have discovered this fabulous B&B in the heart of Chelsea. It was everything I had hoped for... and then some.

I recently spent a stress free, drama free, action packed, safe and truly memorable two weeks in New York, celebrating a milestone birthday.

My two friendly hosts, Paul and Karen, made my stay something really special, a holiday I will never forget. Karen surprised me on my birthday with a bouquet of flowers hand picked from their rooftop garden. Now, you don't get that kind of thoughtfulness at a hotel!

I highly recommend A Garden in Chelsea to other women who are travelling to New York on their own.

You will feel safe and secure, with all the comforts that make travelling a joy, including your own private courtyard for when you need to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple. Karen and Paul are always on hand if you need advice or directions or an extra set of towels...

You'll be staying in a quiet and pretty street, close to the subway, with heaps of great restaurants nearby. Every time I turned the corner to walk back to the B&B after a long day of exploring, it felt like walking home. And that's the best feeling there is when you are on the holiday of a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2013
Brunssum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here in 2010 (sorry, justed started entering in all my reviews) and we loved this place. Karen the owner is great and made sure that everything was perfect. We had the big apartment on the 3rd floor which was really nice. The location is perfect, walking distance from Soho, Meatpacking and of course Chelsea. Rather stay in this part of town then where all tourists go (Times Square). You really feel like a local!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
cheshire uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had been looking for a holiday rental in nyc because they usually allow enough space for the four of us (sons 18 & 20) to stay together and offer great flexibility - but having realised the difficulty of finding a legal holiday rental, I was delighted to find that 'A Garden in Chelsea' could offer all that we were looking for. We stayed in the 2nd/ 3rd floor (2 floors above entrance level) apartment which was very spacious, clean, comfortable and well equipped - we felt truly 'at home' there and it was always great to come back there to relax after our busy days and evenings.
We had a large bedroom with a very comfortable bed and plenty of closet space (we were staying 7 nights). The lounge had a large, comfortable sofa bed which my sons shared - although Karen also offered temporary beds if required. We left the bed made up whilst we were there, as there were two further comfortable chairs and also a table and chairs, so there was still plenty of room for the four of us to share the lounge together whilst in the apartment. The kitchen and bathroom were quite small but more than adequate for our needs and it was perfectly possible to cook a meal should you wish to do so. There was also a closet in the hallway with ample hanging space for us all to use.
We loved the location of 'A Garden in Chelsea'. We had chosen Chelsea because it was well positioned between Downtown and Uptown with a number of major sights being within walking distance and also some attractions of its own. In addition to this it also proved a great neighbourhood to be in and we would have liked more time to explore it further - it was also very quiet and we had no trouble sleeping. The location also suited us well as we attended two events at Madison Square Garden (basketball & concert) and also went to the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre (improv comedy) and these were both within easy walking distance and it was great not to have to go too far in the evenings after busy days sightseeing.
Karen was always helpful and prompt to answer enquiries during the booking process and both Karen and Paul were friendly and helpful during our visit and we felt that they were available should we have needed any advice/help.
The only difficulty I could see with this accomodation is that the stairs are quite steep for anybody who has any mobility issues - the basement accomodation did however appear to be easily accessible, with just a few external steps down to it. Should you be attracted by the garden, there is no access to this from the upstairs accomodation but we were fully aware of this when booking and it did not concern us as we were there during early April.
Should we be fortunate enough to visit New York in the future, I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to A Garden In Chelsea? Share your experiences!