“A once in a lifetime treat!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Plaza Hotel

You added The Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Plaza Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fifth Avenue at Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #165 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tulsa OK
“A once in a lifetime treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

On a recent trip to New York City as a celebration of my daughter's 40th birthday, I booked a room at the Plaza. The room we were given was in one of the tower turrets so the bedroom part of the room was actually a round room so a round bed. Quite a unique room. Everything was gorgeous and so elegant. The staff were all so very friendly and willing to help with directions or answer questions or luggage. They seemed to know when they were needed without having to be asked. The Plaza is expensive but my daughter's worth it. I may never have the opportunity to stay there again but so very glad I splurged for this once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Tracy L, Hotel Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay in the one-of-a-kind Tower Suite. It is truly a unique experience! Thank you again for your post.

Warm regards,
Tracy Lowe, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed for 11 days in one of the suites. I remember how happy I was after the previous stay. This time really disappointed me. The quality of the service is definitely going down.

First, no proper breakfast. The hotel must warn about such things!
The lobby breakfast was overpriced. And not even that, there were not enough tables, the service is extremely slow. Once, I waited for my toast for 40 minutes and just left without breakfast. On another occasion, we had to stand and wait for a table, and when finally saw one, the waiter quite rudely said that it needs to be cleaned as if it was not obvious. Well, clean it please and don't make me stand in the middle of the lobby! The waiters in the lobby are not friendly.

The food court buffet breakfast is a lough, the selection is poor, the chairs are not comfortable. Once, although they let us in, they started cleaning away the food in front of us so I literally had to run after the waiter for a piece of bread. You can't do this in a 5-star hotel! Once you let them in, you must wait until your guests finish. I paid over 20k for my stay and you made me fight for my food! Shocking.

On several occasions, I dropped off some bags at the hotel and asked the concierge if they could be taken to the suite. NEVER happened. Not on a single occasion. In the evening, I would just remember about those bags and go downstairs to pick them up.

I was told by the concierge that I could use a complimentary house car. Again, never happened, not even once. And I tried every day of our 10-day stay! Once I even decided to wait, just out of curiosity. I just wanted to see who that lucky person is. Waited for 2 hours. Nothing. I think the problem was that I didn't tip the doorman for this. Sorry, I just don't feel comfortable offering money to a man.

Actually, about the doorman. We are from the Middle East and are very familiar with the tipping culture. If anything, my husband is always tipping too much. But on arrival, with those bags, the children, the checking in, he probably was not fast enough at tipping him, or maybe even forgot, what a crime. The way the doorman found to remind him made us all feel extremely uncomfortable. Actually, this is one of the things that our children remember about New York. Lots of nice things - and this, how the doorman at the Plaza made us feel cheap.
They are not smiling, they are not opening car doors, what are they for? They are standing talking to each other, not even turning their heads when you walk through the door and only get excited when new guests i.e. tips arrive. I always felt like apologizing for interrupting them when needed to ask for something. One of them was so unfriendly, that on the days when he worked my daughter and i would just go through the other door

I am actually upset. We were all looking forward to this trip. The hotel is still amazing, the location is perfect, the check in and checkout were quick. But it's not even that that we loved about the hotel. Believe me, the rooms/service/views - being from where I am, I've seen better. It's the class that we loved about the Plaza. Unfortunately, it is missing now

Room Tip: No tips. We stayed at the suite at the far end of the corridor, it was always quiet. Had complimenta...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Rooms are very nice, Victorian style I believe. Room windows are floor to ceiling. Elegant, however our view was away from central park. I think the majority of rooms on the park side are residences. However, it is still a very nice hotel from staff, service, room furnishings, windows, restaurants, and location to carriage rides, and museum within walking distance. Park is very nice anytime especially with its rich history.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Clueless staff/poorly run hotel
lobby furniture is dirty / area rugs have seen better days
breakfast menu is over priced/$20.00 for 2 glasses of orange juice/$11.00 for coffee/$9.00 for tea
Concierge was excellent/butler was prompt
suite was lovely/very clean

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at the Plaza for 2 nights in one of the Edwardian Suites. I was a bit concerned that as a family of 4 a suite rather than 2 rooms would be a bit cramped. This was not the case as the living room was big enough to accommodate a double sofa bed and a fold away single bed. The suite comes with 2 bathrooms, the main one being very well specified.

The rooms also came with a view of Central Park which made the rooms a nice place to relax in after a hectic day shopping on 5th Avenue. The suite comes with a butler but we didn't really make use of the butler services so I can't say much about whether it is worth having or not. I suspect not.

The only issue we had was the main dining room was closed for refurb which I would have liked to have been told about before booking. This meant breakfast had to be taken either in the small lobby area or in the food hall below the hotel. The food hall is great for lunch or an afternoon snack but too manic for breakfast. As a result We chose to eat outside the hotel as there are some good places on 6th Ave to get a really good American breakfast so it wasn't really a big issue.

What I really like about the Plaza is the location being on the corner of Central Park and 5th Ave which means it is walking distance to some great places in NYC.

Overall it's a really nice hotel and I would give it a 5 but the closure of the main dinning room means 4 is more appropriate this time around.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Ample-sized, well appointed room made our stay very comfortable. Great location, impeccable service and classy ambiance complete the picture. Definitely one of the best hotels we have stayed in. USB charging ports in the room would have helped though. :-)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Rex Y,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Plaza, and greatly appreciate the feedback! We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New York.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Wonderful location. No question about that. Reception area was disappointing, understaffed with queues of guests waiting in line. Check in was delayed which after a long journey was not great. Couldn't check in on time. Our suite was nice, slightly faded glory but nice. Some repairs needed, eg cracked sink, been like that a while! Nice partial view of Central Park though was fab. Butler came and introduced himself, but was never seen again!!! Hopeless. Biggest disappointment was that the only proper dining room available to us was shut for refurbishment. There was no advance warning to our travel agent and no mention on arrival, until we asked. So we didn't see the iconic room, Palm Court. This left only a small area near reception for all the guests to have breakfast, we there had to leave the hotel for breakfast. There is a food court below the hotel but this open to the public and was very busy and hot. Overall I'm glad I've stayed at The Plaza, but I'd probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Local_lass20,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and your overall stay. We do apologize for the wait to check-in to your room, and for the lack in follow-up from our Butler Service. This is certainly not the norm, and we ensure that your feedback is shared with the team. We sincerely hope that you will return to enjoy the iconic Palm Court as it is re-imagined by our new Culinary Director Geoffrey Zakarian. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!