“The Eloise Suite - Every Girl's Dream!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Plaza Hotel

You added The Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Plaza Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fifth Avenue at Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Christmas Spectacular
Ranked #163 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Australia
“The Eloise Suite - Every Girl's Dream!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This review is about the suite - not the hotel . I decided at the last minute to stay in the Eloise Suite on a recent trip to New York, even though my daughter did not accompany me. What a wonderful fantasy for all girls young and old. The pink and white candy stripes, gilt trim, zebra carpet, derss ups including tiaras - how could you not love it! From the soft toys, to the Eloise gift pack, to the bubble gum bath foam and mini bar full of choclate milk - not a touch is missing to make a stay in the Eloise Suite a wonderful and enveloping experience. If you want to be transported to a world fit for princesses - go and stay in the Eloise Suite! You will love every fantasy moment....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I don't get the negative reviews. This place is great. The rooms are fantastic and the location is perfect. It's pricey but you get what you pay for. Hit the spa and had a great message. The lobby is well layed out.

• Stayed February 2013
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

As a President's Club Member, I frequent Fairmont hotels as much as possible. Few compare to the pure luxury and outstanding service that we experienced at the Plaza over Christmas. From the beautiful room, to the Champagne chilled and waiting for us upon check in, and the wonderful staff, everything was perfect. I can't reccomend it enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
torino
1,122 helpful votes 1,122 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Room was perfection! Beautfully decorated, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was also beautifully decorated and spacious. Even without a good view (I was on the tenth floor facing a large dark office building) I enjoyed the room so much I almost had to force myself to leave. The Basement level food hall was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

In general, we love Fairmont Hotels, (maybe Fairmont managed hotels makes a difference) and the rooms/facilities are beautiful, but the hotel appears to have taken a back seat to the condo section of the building and the service reminds one that they should not stray too far from their economic class. Even though I am a Fairmont President's Club Premier Member, we did need to splurge on a weekend at The Plaza for my wife's 50th birthday, but we were continually made to feel like we did not belong there. From being told at check-in that our confirmed reserved room was not available, only to have a miraculous cancelation of that identical room when I refused to accept their story and started getting angry, to the non-existent promised butler service, and repeatedly being asked to see our room key when entering the lobby while others ahead of us could walk right in, (I guess carrying skates instead of 5th Avenue store bags made us suspect, even though I'm pretty sure our $1,100 a night was worth the same as everyone else's), it felt like we were sized up as a couple there for a one time special occasion who would not be back and therefore not worthy of staff's respect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear NoKidsWillTravel,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your recent stay and allow me to extend my apologies for the perceptions you acquired during your visit. The Plaza has always been and always will be a special occasion hotel, and I can assure you that it is not our intention to make any of our guests feel less than welcome. I did see that you were staying with us in December and due to the high traffic during the holiday season, we close-off the lobby to retain privacy and comfort for you, our guest. Our colleagues will ask all entering to present their room key to gain access to the lobby, as this is standard procedure.

Again, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience and I do hope you’ll consider giving us another chance to make your next special occasion more favorably memorable. Thank you, again, for your comments.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I spent a long anniversary weekend in New York at the Plaza Hotel and it was just the kind of experience I had hoped to have for my first trip to New York City. We spent a wonderful weekend sightseeing, shopping and eating. We toured all the sights that someone visiting New York would be expected to see including the Statue of Liberty, the NBC television studios, Central Park, etc. The Plaza was a big part of that experience where we ate many of our meals and enjoyed the Eloise tea. We went for a carriage ride through Central Park that began right in front of our hotel and crossed the street to go to the fabulous toy store and get a slice of pizza. Later that weekend we had a package that had us eating dinner at the Plaza then being taken to a Broadway play by limo. It was truly an outstanding way to be introduced to New York and one that will always live in my memory.

Room Tip: To be honest, we went with the least expensive room, but it was still a great experience. This is a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My experience for late night drinks at the Rose Club was horrific. My family and I were walking back from dinner and had a craving for some warm drinks - and what better place than the Plaza? Or so we thought.

The atmosphere was wonderful, I will say that. Even strolling in at 11p they had a small jazz ensemble going and at the velvet and low red light made it a wonderful lounge. This alone is what merits them 2 instead of 1/5.

I thought it odd though that, of the entire place that was mostly empty, they stuck us back in a corner right next to another group of people. I guess they did that for ease of the servers, not thinking of perhaps giving the patrons a little more space to enjoy.

We ordered a Hot Toddy and some sort of hot chocolate drink (sadly no Hot Butter Rum that I was craving). They came in what looked like red wine glasses... which I thought was odd considering they were hot drinks. They were so scalding hot that it took awhile before we could even try them and it was dangerous to try and hold anything but the stem of this glass, which was awkward. The Hot Toddy was a little too strong for any of us to stomach, so we figured we'd catch the waiter to doctor it a bit. It was nigh impossible to get him over to where we were. Eventually, we gave up and figured he'd have to come over check on us at some point. He didn't. The drink got cold and we stopped caring, being a little put off from being ignored.

There was barely a sip out of the Hot Toddy and he brought the bill, which was the second time he ever came to the table. I've been to a lot of places that weren't half as upscale as this and the waiters are mindful of your drinks. They know when you need a refill, they notice when you haven't touched your drink - usually they ask what was wrong and offer some solution. This guy just snapped up the credit card and was back in a flash to have us sign and get out. Mind you, it wasn't that close to closing at that time either.

I won't be going back, from the bad taste in my mouth about it all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!