“Thanksgiving dinner” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Plaza Hotel

You added The Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Plaza Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fifth Avenue at Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #165 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dublin
“Thanksgiving dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had thanksgiving dinner here and was disappointed with it considering the price. Two of my party had to return their food to the kitchen as it was cold. There was no mash potatoes served with what was supposed to be a traditional thanksgiving dinner. We were seated in a room just off the lobby which was open plan and had a constant stream of people passing or stopping to stare. Overall disappointing overpriced meal and over rated ambiance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a wonderful 3 nights in a suite room at the plaza but for a hotel of this price and reputation I found service a little wanting in some areas.

Upon arrival we wondered if we were really at the right entrance for the Plaza Hotel because neither of the bellhops attempted to help us with our luggage as we carried the bags up the front steps! One guy was polishing the handrail at the entrance and the other just looked in the other direction. It was the same when we went out for dinner or during the day, no attempt to help get us a taxi.

CHECK-IN: We were early so had our bags stored and the check-in staff took our mobile phone number and said they would call when the room was ready. We went out shopping and arrived back 3 hours later (no phone call) to find the room had been ready for some time. In all fairness, it was still before check in time but why take our phone number and tell us they would call if they didn't intend to.

ROOM SERVICE was fine but I was surprised when the fruit plate on day 2 was double the size of the one I'd ordered the day before. Same price, same menu item, just double the size and much better presentation and quality of fruit.

I called the Concierge twice. The first time I was put on hold and left there until I hung up 10mins later. The 2nd time I was told they would call me back but they didn't.

The room was lovely and the bed was extremely comfortable. I was surprised there was not even a bottle of water in the room when we arrived though. The next day, after the room was cleaned, there were 2 complimentary bottles of water - so perhaps they just forgot to give us water for check-in? Again, not a huge deal but shouldn't happen in a hotel of this quality.

Despite these small issues, we had a fabulous time but I don't think I'd stay again. This was our 4th trip to NYC and the last hotel was half the price with fantastic service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just got back from our stay at the Plaza. The hotel was great, but for the price, we expected better. I think part of the problem is all the hype about the Plaza- it did not impress the way we had hoped. We arrived around 6 and even though check-in was at 3, our room wasn't ready. We were shown to the bar and offered free drinks, but it would have been nice to just get to our room. Our room was large but the view was of an office building. The first night, I went to use the tub, only to find "remnants" of the previous guest- yuck! Other than that the room was very clean and the staff was very courteous. The location was great for shopping and watching the parade.

Bowen Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My first time in NYC and I had the pleasure of staying at The Plaza.

The good - its a beautiful hotel, in the best location with the best beds ever!

The bad -

1. It took 30 mins to get a bucket of ice after calling twice.
2. Stains on the ottoman and chair.
3. Mini-bar was not replenished during our stay
4. Had to call to get salt and pepper for my room service scrambled eggs - should have been delivered in the first place! - eggs now cold.
5. upon check out was given an amount verbally - no printout - seemed right to me, so said go ahead - bill was put in an envelope - but now I am home - I see it just has an amount - no detail - nothing.
6. slow service in the lounge upstairs - waive and they will ignore you. :)

The points above may sound picky - but should not happen at a hotel at this price point. I had a good stay overall - but left somewhat dissapointed.

Slocker

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Macomb, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The fact that we paid approximately $1000/night, made me think we would be treated as Royalty!!
Upon check-in, our room had a small amount of garbage (papers and wrappings) on the floor near the bedding, and in the bathroom shower! They did come and clean when we complained. We were just surprised that this is what we walked into.
We had awful servce when we sat down to have cocktails in the lobby each night. The same rude waiter each night. He completely ignored us, never checking to see if we needed anything. We were unable to even get his attention for our bill. He was unfriendly, and spent too much time chatting with is coworkers. He used foul language and was obnoxious! He just gave the Plaza a bad name.
On the other hand. It is an absolutely gorgeous hotel. Such elegance and style!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Georgiegirl42,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I’m so sorry to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay. We pride ourselves on offering a high level of service, and I’m disappointed to hear that we fell short. Feedback such as yours is incredibly valuable – I will share your comments with our the Director of Housekeeping and The Champagne Bar management in order to assess and address any areas where our colleagues may require further training. I do hope that you will consider staying with us on your next trip to New York. Thank you, again, for your feedback.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

You really feel like you're a part of something special when you stay here. We've stayed here twice, once in a normal room and once in a suite. Both were gorgeous and had great views. The suite was opulent and really special. Every aspect of this hotel is well thought out. If you want to make your trip to New York special, then choose the Plaza. The location is also wonderful for shopping, walking around, and being near to so many places you want to go like museums, Rockefeller Center, and Lincoln Center. We stayed here for the Macy's Parade and it was a perfect walk to Columbus Circle to watch it.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

so .... I had the priviledge of a few days at the Plaza in New York after a vacation ...
THe hotel is expensive but worth it ....when you check in always ask if there is an upgrade you can get.......FREE!!!!...... If you are there for a "special " event or if alone as I was when I checked in as my "other" hadn't gotten to New York yet, I/ we were upgraded as they had open rooms that had been prebooked and not used .
It is close to many things to do if you are new to seeing the city. Tiffany's is in walking distance and you are close to time square and most access points for the city.
The rooms are large as that is one of the Plaza's draws. THey are very well appointed and the beds are nearly calling to you to hop in, cuddle and nap
There is the OAK ROOM restaurant , another thing you must experience even if not staying at the PLAZA
Glad that I don't have to clean all the crystal light fixures. This hotel is from a time of elegance and knows how to take care of its' guests and no matter what room you are in there you are given the royal treatment.
Go, enjoy and be pampered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!