“Lovely, good service, great beds” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Plaza Hotel

You added The Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Plaza Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fifth Avenue at Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #165 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Lovely, good service, great beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here as part of a work prize event so I was not paying. I probably would not have spent my own money on it as it is pretty pricey per night, as you would expect. What amazed me was how it was such a retreat from the hustle and bustle outside, the rooms were incredibly quiet and the bed was sooooo comfortable. All the staff we engaged with were friendly and made us feel very welcome. The location is of course fantastic.

I did not eat breakfast in the hotel, preferring better value options outside. I would however recommend taking a trip down to Todd English's Food Court downstairs, we had good food in there and enjoyed the atmosphere, sitting at the counter watching the chefs in action.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband booked this trip (normally I do all the booking) but when he informed me we would be staying at The Plaza I was impressed with his choice, we stayed here in December for four nights, from arrival to departure the staff exuded professionalism they were on hand 24/7 and were eager to help with any queries or requests. We had a king room and both found it to be well equipped and luxurious, no complaints at all, all areas of the hotel were exceptionally clean and we could not fault the domestic staff. Location of the hotel is fantastic - right in the middle of everything we came to see, we love to explore and the hotel was a convenient base. This hotel is quite expensive and on reflection there are plenty other hotels within the locality that are more reasonably priced and we would probably consider those , but would not rule out returning here in the future, we have no issues with recommending this accommodation to family and friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wayne, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Reserved a room through American Express for a pay for 2 stay for 3 nights In a king room and were upgraded to a deluxe king with terrace that was large and well-appointed . An in- room iPad controlled the lighting, air conditioning, messages and notification to housekeeping about turn- down service. The bath only had a single sink vanity but the soaking tub, huge shower and full array of amenities made up for it. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was great- I always enjoy a very cold room and we never heard our neighbors or outside traffic.

This hotel is all about the customer- from check- in to check- out. Everyone is on alert to service you and does it with a smile- very friendly environment!

We enjoyed the continental breakfast buffet in the Palm Court- it was included in our rate but was a bit steep at $32 pp -the room, however, is just beautiful and the service fabulous. We were disappointed that the Oak Room is currently closed but enjoyed cocktails in the bar upstairs and delighted with the mixed nuts and popcorn served with our perfectly mixed drinks. Again, a bit expensive at $22 to 23 dollars a drink but the ambience and service are just wonderful.

The hotel is so convenient to shopping, subways, central park and the theater. There is a house car that will take you to a destination within 10 blocks of 59th and 5th if it is available- one evening the car had just left and the doorman offered us another car....much better than a taxi!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend The Plaza very highly to anyone who values lovely accomodations and first class service in a great location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is not a cheap place to stay, even if you book almost a year in advance. But the decor is fabulous in the common areas and rooms, bathroom is HUGE and luxurious. Staff was eager to please. It's right next to Central Park and very convenient to Empire State Building, Times Square, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel as a facility is excellent. Much was said here about how great it is. No need to repeat. It is truly impressive. Room is big and very comfortable. But one has to wait for almost everything. Wait 5-10 min to be seated for breakfast. I was waiting for over 15 min for package to be delivered to my room. They said that they are delivering it right away. I went down and it was still there. In the evenings all tables are occupied in the champaign bar. I tried twice to have coffee there. No luck)) Overall the staff is extremely friendly, polite and they try to serve you best. I guess the hotel is just overwhelmed by the number of guests they have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Anyone that says a hotel is only a place to drop your bags and sleep has not stayed at The Plaza. Stayed at this fabulous hotel from August 23 - August 28 of 2012 and loved every minute. I was there with my husband and 2 children. We stayed in The Edwardian Suite on the 18th floor. The staff was very friendly, courteous and quick to help us with anything we needed. Salvatore checked us in at the front desk and was wonderful. Not once did I experience anyone discourteous.

The suite was beautiful....really. If you're a light sleeper the banging in the air conditioner will keep you awake but the bed was so comfortable, a train wouldn't have bothered me. I heard it but it didn't stop me from sleeping.

There's a food court on the lower level where you can buy pastries and quick sandwiches....worth the peek down there.

Room is situated in the perfect spot for anyone visiting the city for the first time. This was my 6th visit but still ... this felt like ocean front property.

I have stayed in many great hotels ... my favourite until now was The Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay in Sanfrancisco...that is .. until The Plaza.

I also highly recommend you try The Moscow Mule. Killer drink :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PlazaHotelManagement, General Manager at The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear 007Diva64,

Thank you for your positive review. It’s so wonderful to know that we are your favorite hotel and we have passed along your kind words to Salvatore. We hope you’ll come back and stay with us again soon for another Moscow Mule!
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

As a frequent visitor of Fairmont and Fairmont Raffles Hotels I had high expectations for The Plaza Hotel for my New York stay. As I entered the lobby for check-in my party was rudely threatened by a clearly aggravated member of security stating no photos are allowed. No photographs were being taken; the closest thing being a member of my staff hanging a camera around his neck. I do not needlessly get threatened, especially in front of my staff by those meant to be in the hospitality industry. I immediately left the hotel and did not check-in. Threatening guests on entry has no place at any hotel and the Plaza Hotel is not immune.

It was a shame as the hotel was quite beautiful and I cannot imagine prohibiting guests from taking photographs in public space. The rude and threatening behaviour was simply uncalled for. However, the result was another fine stay at the Towers of the Waldorf Astoria where guests are treated as guests.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!