“Not worth it” 2 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 9 sites
Save Saved
You added Hotel Azure to your Saves list
Hotel Azure
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #352 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Paris, France
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I found the hotel to be dirty, and wouldn't stay here again. Check in was fine no friendly welcome or anything but that's ok. I first noticed that there was a tacky dollar store air freshener in the corner of the elevator, and the room was very dingy especially in the shower. The bathroom amenities hadn't been changed from the last customer so if that detail isn't even being paid attention to it makes me wonder. The toilet is the same kind of toilet you'd find in a school or public toilet which I thought was odd and it's loud. The walls had stains and bits all smeared on it it really needs new paint it was so gross. The shower is super dingy I stood on a towel in the shower because the floor looked like a dorm room shower. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable but the pillows were quite a small size. But at least the bed seemed ok. The hotel is above the subway which means you feel that every 15-20mins at night and is worse in every way during the am rush. Same with traffic for those who are light sleepers as that can all be heard. I booked somewhat last minute so I spent 300incl taxes. I know NYC prices so I'd prefer to just add in the extra money for a nicer one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Travelled to New York via Toronto on 23rd July. The hotel was clean and all amenities were on hand including WIFI, room was a bit on the small side but perfectly acceptable. We had emailed prior to our stay to ask for the 5th floor and as I was travelling with a companion to ask if we could have rooms next to each other. These emails were replied quickly and on arrival indeed we had been alocated rooms on the 5th floor and next to each other. My companion also said her room was good and with hairdrier and even a small ironing board. The area in China town is not the best or the quietist but then where is in Lower Manhattan. The location was handy for the metro on Canal Street and with easy walking distance of some to nice restaurants in Little Italy. The staff were friendly and it was good value for money we both said we would stay again.

Room Tip: As previous reviews have said go for the 5th floor if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

When we walked into the hotel, we nearly turned and left, it had to be one of the smallest hotel rooms I have stayed in. We stayed! And found it to be a very convenient location to get anywhere in Manhattan. It is basically sitting on top of 2 major subway lines. It is a short walk to Little Italy, China town and Fulton Street Sea Change, The hotel was clean, the bed comfortable, but we were there during a heatwave and the air con was less than a foot from the bed so very noisey, and if you turned it off, it was oppressively hot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Malin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel Azure is a boutique hotel in Chinatown with Little Italy & Soho within walking distance. The rooms were small which we had expected but had everything we required and were spotlessly clean. Within walking distance of the hotel there were some fabulous restaurants and beautiful shopping districts.
All in all quite a pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I walked by this place for many years and saw them build it in the last decade but thought i'd give it a try at $60 one day. This is the ultimate cheap place to stay, when it is cheap but prices can get high. On a noisy corner, poor soundproofing, tiny rooms, but not dirty or run-down. I've stayed in worse hotels because my usual places were sold out, but this is not exactly a quality place to stay. The front desk clerks were a combination of nasty and nice depending on the shift.

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better, but it is not a tall hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

As you are in the heart of New York City, just a block from Little Italy and short walks to other venues, this isn't a bad place to stay. Be prepared, the rooms are smaller than probably anything you're used to. So small as a matter of fact that you really do have to step outside to change your mind. The elevator had a really funky smell to it but the rooms were clean and free of bad odors. Did I say they were small? These rooms were so small that when I inserted my room key, I broke the back window. The staff that worked the hotel were very friendly and accommodating. Each shift equally as friendly. The rooms however were so small, we couldn't order a large pizza. Sorry, I'm done with those for now. Given the fact that it's New York City, where everything is so expensive, this place was very reasonable and I would recommend it if you're not wanting to blow your vacation budget on hotel rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hotel prices in NYC are ridiculous, but it really sucks to shell out $200+ and feel like you're staying in a motel. I'm not clear what the exact criteria is for hotels to qualify as 3 stars, but I'm guessing Hotel Azure narrowly meets them. Pros: private bathroom (I'm too old to share common bathrooms - yuck), bed linens were clean (huge plus), when I reported a problem (see cons), the front desk responded fairly quickly; basic amenities were all included, including iron & coffee maker (although I didn't use either), and location is great in terms of access to key subway lines right outside the hotel. (As an urbanite and former New Yorker, the noise outside didn't prevent me from having a good night's sleep.)

Here are the cons: while the room wasn't dirty, there were little things that made me realize they didn't really pay attention to details. The soap dish in the shower had soap scum in it, the bathroom floors weren't super clean - there was a dinginess. The bathroom linens were also poor quality - super thin. The built in hairdryer blew out seconds after I started using it. (The front desk allowed me to use one in an adjoining room) And, I asked for a wake up call, but the person came (not called) five minutes after the designated time (which is a big deal in the hospitality world) and he knocked so lightly that if I hadn't been already awake (at least my iPhone alarm was on time), I wouldn't have heard him. Also, the television only showed about 10 channels.

So, all in all - a really big "eh". I only stayed there for one night and was only in the room to sleep, so I'm not up in arms about anything. It was fine. But, I'll probably try out other options first before booking a room at Hotel Azure.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably have less noise. If using booking.com, make sure you remember that they'...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Azure? Share your experiences!