“UNBELIEVABLE...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea to your Saves list
Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 26th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #295 of 451 hotels in New York City
Pepperell, Massachusetts
“UNBELIEVABLE...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Let me start by saying it wasn't all bad..Pilar at the front door is the sweetest person you will meet. The staff in the restaurant are also extremely nice. We even had some great housekeepers but from there it's all down hill!! Elevators take you on average 5-15 min to get on and when you say something you get the run around about time delay. NOT the case, it is house keeping holding it up as it's their only way to get up and down. You press the button for your floor and it passes you by like 5 or 6 times...Also I believe the staff M-TH are a whole lot nicer than what you deal with on Friday. Just my opinion of course. Also be aware if you try to take the stairs it DOES NOT get you to the lobby...you have to go outside and around. Yup so if you are not dressed properly you are in trouble. Never have I had such a horrible experience trying to get to the lobby.
Food in the restaurant is very good, but beware of the different rules as far as their "Happy Hour" goes or you won't be happy when you get your tab. It is only in certain seats..yes you read that right..you have to be within the walls of the lounge. If you eat on patio or in what they consider dinning area you are charged FULL price. I have never heard of such a thing?
The room was adequate, nothing to big but very typical for NYC..and it was clean and quiet.
Now my service stars for for the fact that they didn't seem to care about the concerns of the elevator..they just blew me off!! Not good customer service at all there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Hi Mark C - Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. I would ask that you kindly email me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I may personally look into the issues you listed here.

Our restaurant, Prime Cafe, does not base the happy hour pricing on where you sit. I am unsure where this misunderstanding came from.

While it is true we have two elevators servicing the entire building, we do have weight sensors on them. When they have reached capacity, they go straight to the lobby to unload. The elevator then goes back up in the order it was called. I apologize for this, but it is actually an efficient way of unloading and reloading the elevator cars.

Again, please email me at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I can fully understand the issues during your stay.

Thank you.

698 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This hotel provides a great value in a great location. Service is excellent, and the staff is VERY friendly. You can tell they enjoy working there, always smiling :)

There were a couple of downsides to this hotel. The rooms were small (We, my wife, daughter and I ) were always on top of each other - and I kept referring to it as cozy. But it is Manhattan and you get what you pay for. Plus, you don't go to NYC to hang around in a hotel room.

The hotel also had some noise issues; partly from guests and partly from street noise. Again, it is Manhattan...

Overall I would recommend this hotel for a weekend jaunt into the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid street noise
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Hi Ed M - Thank you for sharing your experience with the world! Our Team really does enjoy working here, and we are glad you recognized that. We hope to see you again in the future!
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Yes rooms and bathrooms are small (but it's New York so that's really no issue) and the lifts can be very slow - that's ok we just took the stairs a couple of times. The real issue for me was that I just couldn't get a good night's sleep in this hotel. The pillows were tiny and both beds in our room were noisy (creaking metal every time you moved), it just didn't make for a good night's sleep after spending all day out and about. Location is great but there are other Holiday Inns nearby where I've slept a lot better. Might have just been an unlucky experience but I'd be trying to stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Try for a lower floor in case you need to use the stairs when lift is slow.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi ll72 - Thank you for your candid feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed our great location! We apologize, however, about your lack of comfortable sleep. If you have a chance, please email me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I may personally inspect the room you stayed in. Your experience is certainly not typical of our Holiday Inn, and hope you choose to give us another chance in the future.

Thank you!
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The room of 2 double beds was a good enough size for our family of 4 even with 2 teenagers. The breakfast was really good especially the pancake maker which we all loved using many times and the cinnamon buns were amazing.
The bonus was the location, just round the corner from the Empire State Building even if we didn't get a view of it - supposedly no family rooms do. We were also minutes away from Macy's and other shops but a lot of tacky tourist ones nearby, but it felt great walking about fifth avenue. Plenty of restaurants nearby and an Irish bar across the road although we didn't go but we did hear it on the Friday night till late.
We were also in walking distance to Times Square 20/30 mins - and felt fine walking back at night.
Very little to fault with this hotel - felt like we got good value for money.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Limburgerhof, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My daughter (18 years) and I spent the last week-end in Holiday Inn 6th avenue. It was our first time in NY. The hotel offered us a pleasant stay. The receipt was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are modern and cleanly. The bathroom was equipped with big comfort. There is a good binding to the underground. The hotel lies centrally.
We come again very much with pleasure!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Great location because it was close enough to everything but far enough to not be in the middle of the hustle and bustle. I went with my 3 kids and stayed comfortably. yes...the elevators were slow and the bathroom was super small and showing some wear...but overall we enjoyed our stay . There were no safes in the rooms and the front desk had no boxes left to keep our passports but otherwise that ..we had no issues. I would recommend you go to the computer/business room in the basement and take advantage of all the coupons on the wall...( that was a hidden secret that saved us close to 20% on every tour we planned to take. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in December, 2013. The staff was very nice and helpful,. The room was small but clean and fine for our needs. The location is great. It is close to many great restaurants and subway stops. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea? Share your experiences!