“Never again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea to your Saves list
Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 West 26th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #294 of 451 hotels in New York City
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Never again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here during our first visit to NYC for 5 nights. We booked this hotel as a family of three (two seniors and one adult). None of us is extremely tall, actually two of us are shorter than 1.55 meters/5.0 feet).

The great factors:
- Great location (Chelsea).
- Friendly staff. Some of them were genuinely friendly. With genuine I mean really helpful which is something different than the drilled plastic fantastic American customer service. (Sorry, I am European and I can't help to say that).
- Being member of their loyalty program meant arranging a late check-out smoothly.

The unattractive factors:
- The room (high floor with extra charge for city view!) was very very small. We actually had no space to put our three suitcases. The room is advertised as a 'double bed' but please keep in mind that this is NOT a queen bed. The beds are actually very very small! (Which is unbelievable since 70% of Americans are overweight!).
- Sleep quality was simply horrible. Not only were the beds small but the quality of the matrasses was hideous. We felt like we were sleeping in hammocks which resulted in back pain during our entire stay.
- Because some technical problems there was no hot warm to shower with during two days.

Naturally we did file several complaints. The reception staff was friendly and did 'compensate' us with 1 complimentary breakfast voucher. But lets be honest: can you consider vouchers worth 45 US dollars a fair compensation? We certainly don't think so! Just for the record: the total bill was almost 2000 US dollars. We would have been more charmed by an upgraded room or a discount. We don't feel Holiday Inn has a very strong customer service damage control attitude/policy.

In all honesty: I still have to write a formal complaint letter to the hotel stating the above. Maybe, just maybe, their reply will surprise me and make me update this review. We'll see. As for now we are clear on never staying at this particular Holiday Inn again and we're considering cancelling our loyalty membership!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Hi GlobeTraveler1973 - Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled that you recognized the high level of service that we strive to provide. I apologize that you expected a queen sized bed in your room. Double/Doubles usually refer to full sized beds, which is what we offer in those rooms. Please reach out to me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I may have the chance to look into your other comments and make this situation right. Thank you.

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a prepaid reservation for 8 nights in that hotel. When we arrived at 10pm, we couldn’t open the door of our room with the given cards. They couldn’t fix it so they gave us another room.
Once in the room, we discovered an empty bag of chips in the corner, an air con covered with dust and hairs on the sheets.
So we complained and they gave us another room the next day. When we had a shower the following morning, there was not hot water, which is not very agreeable at this period of the year. We told them and they apologized saying they would transfer us into a much better room. We were very surprised when we discovered that this better room was smaller, and without a bathtub, than the one we had paid for. So they finally gave us a similar room. Two days later, it was impossible to have the wifi connection with two different ipads. As they couldn’t solve the problem they put me through to the internet provider technician who found a solution after 15 minutes on the phone; as if I was the one who was supposed to solve that thing. One more time, a morning without hot water the next day. I asked to meet the manager/supervisor but it seemed impossible, the man in charge at the front desk offered us two free breakfasts to apologize, which we obviously refused. It is evident that if the reservation hadn’t been prepaid we would have left the place after two days.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi magosin M, and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay, and can assure you that it is not a reflecting on the typical service we strive to provide to our guests. Please contact me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com so that I may further investigate this.

Thank you. I look forward to speaking with you.
Altamonte Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is not an amazing hotel by any means. But, it's in a great location, our room was clean and the staff was friendly.

Cons: Lobby doesn't start serving coffee until 7am. Really??? It's NYC?! I had to walk to get some every morning because the room supplied coffee is undrinkable. Elevators are SO slow! You have to pack into them in fear of not getting another for several minutes.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a King or they will put you in a room with 2 doubles. They tried with us after...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hi SLCGirl22 - Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay! We are always looking to create great guest experiences, and we are thrilled you noticed the friendliness of our Team!

Our on-site full restaurant, Prime Cafe, opens at 7AM. They serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and room service. I apologize that the coffee was not available prior to this time.

We hope to see you again when you are in the Chelsea neighborhood!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The location is great. You can walk to Times Square, Madison Square Garden, and the Empire State Building. There are several subway stations within a 5 minute walk. There are plenty of restaurants in the area. You are in a great area if you base your selection solely on location.

The hotel is clean but it is not upscale. The rooms are VERY small. You do not have space to walk around. The elevators are old and very slow. The hallways are aged but still clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

My only issue is the price. At over $250 a night, you would be better served finding another hotel. The price is just not worth the size of the room and age of the hotel. Again, the location is excellent and it is very clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi 333CR - thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with the world. We are happy that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location to many of New York City's attractions! I hope our in-house concierge Team took good care of you!

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back the next time you are in our Chelsea neighborhood!
Shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife, my 11 year old daughter and I have just returned home from this very nice hotel and would recommend it to anyone who just wants a very well positioned hotel to enable you to get out and explore this great city.
We had a room on the 23rd floor facing the Empire State Building which was fantastic. The room was small but we knew to expect that, but more importantly it had everything we needed (apart from an in-room safe, however there are some very small safes available at the front desk) and was clean and tidy. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly and were only too pleased to help with anything you needed.
Breakfast, which was included in our package was simple but sufficient and opened at 7am allowing you an early start if you wish.
When we re.turn to New York we would certainly consider this hotel again

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was my fourth visit in four months. I thought I liked this property until last night. When going up the elevator to my room, an underage prostitute and her pimp were negotiating her services and prices with the john. To my horror, they got off on my floor and were directly across from my room. I immediately called security. They did nothing. I called back in ten minutes. They did nothing. I reported the incident to Nicole at the front desk in the morning. She assured me management would contact me. They did not. Upon returning to my room this evening -- I was confronted by the goons in the room across from me AGAIN. My key card didn't work and I had to flee to the lobby for safety. I AGAIN told them what had transpired and had security escort me to my room. The goons came out of their room AGAIN to confront me but left when they saw I was with security.

I have secured a room at the Hilton across the street for the remainder of my business trip

Management does not provide a safe environment and does not address security issues. Do not stay at this property.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mike W, General Manager at Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi HotSpringsLover58 - Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us last week. As discussed over the phone this morning, as well as your discussions with our Front Desk Supervisor last week, we do take your comments quite seriously. Keeping in mind the night this supposed situation happened was Halloween, and keeping in mind the expressiveness of New York City's citizens, we did not feel there was an immediate danger posed to you while at our hotel. We had security patroling your floor several times, and found nothing to be alarmed about. You then proceeded to antagonize this guest by slipping a note under his door, which further escalated the situation.

I am sorry that our hotel's security did not meet your standards, and hope you were able to find suitable accommodations for the remainder of your stay.

Thank you.
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The Holiday inn on 6th avenue / Manhattan is located in a fairly good area. You have 2 car rental firms close by, you have the subway 100 meters away, grocery shop 50 meters away and if you would like to walk down towards the end and Ground Zero you can. It will take you about 1,5 hours if you do not stop in any store. The hotel it self is a small, but 25 storage, hotel. Only 2 elevators serves all rooms so be prepared to wait for it. Service is ok even though we did not have the best experience when we checked in. I am a gold member on IHG so I received an upgrade. But, honestly, if the room I got is an upgrade then I guess the other rooms are not bigger than closets?? Bathroom very small and only one very small bottle of shampoo for 3 people. Room has TV but NO safe.

Room Tip: If you can, then pick a room high up for some good view. You should be higher than 20th floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi Michael W - Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us! We are thrilled that you noticed our central and convenient location, and are happy to see that you enjoyed the nice walk downtown. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at gm@hi-nyc.com the next time you are in the Chelsea neighborhood. I would be glad to personally handle your reservations.

Thank you again!

Been to Holiday Inn NYC - Manhattan 6th Avenue - Chelsea? Share your experiences!