“Old and Run Down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #320 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Old and Run Down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stay at this hotel mostly for work. The professional photos do it no justice as the rooms are getting very used and if you look closely you'll notice things falling apart. Wood frames are cracking, bathroom tiles need repair, and door handles have been drilled so many times you can see through the cracks between the handles and the doors. One of my coworkers stayed in a room on the 7th floor and noticed there were ear plugs offered by the bedside. He realized at night it was because there was a lot of noise surrounding the room and obviously the hotel knew about it by offering complimentary ear plugs. It's in a convenient location, staff are helpful and it's relatively clean.

Room Tip: Ask for a handicap bathroom if you want a spacier room. The bathrooms are so small you can't ev...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have to start by saying that I love animal print, so liked this hotel from the start.

Now that's out of the way, when I arrived, the door staff / porters were courteous, friendly and very helpful. At the reception desk, the staff were also friendly and courteous, but efficient. I arrived before check-in time so my room wasn't ready, as I had expected, but I was offered a free drink token for the bar. I had a perfectly made (and very strong) Cosmopolitan.

When the room was ready, I was placed on the seventh floor and had a view out onto the street. It was a small double, everything was clean and tidy and all the necessities were available. However, beware of the bottles of water that are on the beside tables which cost $8 each!

The room size was good with plenty of floor space, but the bathroom was very compact and on the slightly small side.

In terms of location, it's in a great place:
- The nearest subway / train station is 3mins walk
- There are a range of restaurants across the street and in the entire surrounding area
- Starbucks is a right next to the hotel, less than a minute walk
- Central Park 8mins walk
- Shopping 5mins walk

Finally, the rooftop bar looked like the place to be in the evening. As I was leaving to go elsewhere on a Friday night, the line / queue was a long one, so it may be worth a visit.

I didn't eat in any of the restaurants so can't comment on those, but all in all a pleasant stay and I would return.

Dear WestL0n0ner,

Thank you for you comments of your most recent stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of our team members.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Lovely hotel , nice surroundings, great staff. In a perfect location , near Times Square, but away from the hustle and bustle. Great for buses and subway and plenty nice restaurants in surrounding area.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor , disabled friendly with low bath
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear dizz10,

Thank you for a positive review and great comments. Please take not of my contact information, fee free to use in case you need anything else in the future.

Bound Brook, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 4 nights while attending the opera. The rooms are large for nyc and somewhat irregular in shape. Our room was clean. The maid service is good and friendly. The elevators are slow. They charge for wifi. I paid for 3 days and was cut off after less than 2 days. It is ok for email but not much else. You are better off going to the Starbucks on the corner where it is free and works much better. Even better, go around the corner to the Lincoln Center ticket office where there is a large lobby with tables and chairs where the wifi works great and is free too. Also, they make the best sandwiches in the whole world ie for lunch. The music is much calmer there compared to Starbucks. There are plenty of excellent restaurants near by ie Atlantic Grill on 66th.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 9th floor. There is a bar disco above. You won't sleep at night.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear JamesV1941,

Thank you for your comments of your most recent stay with us. We are in the process of upgrading our Wi-FI in the hotel, we expect to complete this in the next couple of weeks,

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The staff was wonderful, room was roomy, great location , outstanding atmosphere. Only thing I would change would be shower doors , the design allowed water to escape shower and get on floor. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Dear Amy B,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed in this hotel for years. They need to give some love to the rooms. bathroom was dirty. Curtains had something splattered on them. Robes had holes and hair on them. The only reason I would come back is the location and the staff

CarlosOrihuela, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Marlo W,

thank you for you comments and continuous patronage. I would like the opportunity to meet you next time you stay with us, please let me know I would be happy to arrange a fantastic stay with us.

Again, thank you for your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to the parties involved.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

If you like extra firm mattresses, in room coffee which you have to pay for, no delivery of newspaper, absence of robes, and no bathtub, then this is the hotel for you. For the same price we prefer the Beacon Hotel

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

CarlosOrihuela, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear barton8,

I am very disappointed you had such a negative experience in our Hotel. The mattresses is a very subjective matter, some guests really appreciate a firm mattress. Robes and newspapers are delivered upon request. We also offer a selection of newspapers complimentary in our business center.

We have different selection of room types, we do have several rooms that offer tubs as opposed to a standing shower, but again, it all depends on the guest. Did you mention to our front desk staff that you would like a room with a tub?

Please reach out to me directly to discuss this, or any other future reservation.

corihuela@empirehotelnyc.com

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!