1) HOT. It's cold out, so they have the heat cranked up. Apparently it's in the floor or walls, because there is no way to control it. There is an old heat/cool/fan unit on the outer wall, which I turned off, hoping that by the time I got back from dinner, it would be cooler. No. It's just hot, dry hot. Desertlike. Prepare to strip down to your undies.
2) NO fitness. They claim there's a fab new fitness center, but I'll never see it. I went down to the lobby to find the special elevator to the floor where the fitness center is, only to be told that the elevator doesn't work and guests are not allowed to take stairs to it. (What would you do to get out of the building if you were down there and there was a fire?) The clerk seemed unaware that this could be upsetting to a person, just kept on with whatever he was working on, not making eye contact with me till he realized that I wasn't walking away. I could use the health club around the corner (note, it's still dark out, I'm a woman alone, I don't know my way around, it's 7 degrees F out)--there might be a way to reimburse me...(seemed to be some uncertainty about that). I could come back later. No, I need to be in a meeting, then on a plane. Indeed, I'll never be back at this hotel, if I have a choice (I didn't in this case, it was arranged by the company I'm meeting with).
3) Coffee in the room? Check the photo for coffee in the room. $3 for making your own K cup. Thank goodness for those instant packets I keep in my suitcase. The minibar items are equally high priced, but that's expected.
4) Small. The room is small, which is not a big deal for a place I'm in for less than 12 hours, but the bathroom is really tight. There's no place to put your stuff, except some narrow shelves above the toilet, and I seriously was afraid things would fall in, and kept the lid down. Small also means mini ironing board and I guess you're supposed to prop it on the bed or remove the minibar tray from the "desk" to use it. Also means no luggage rack for your suitcase.
5) Scary electric wires. So you're possibly wondering what I did about exercising this morning? There are always stairs, so I went up and down several times. In doing so, I came across this exposed wire (photo). As you can guess from the fact that I'm writing this, I didn't check to see if it was live or not.
6) Why a 2? It's clean, check-in was speedy. The decor is contemporary. Bed was comfortable.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for staying with us and for giving me the opportunity to answer you online.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your short visit with us.
I hope you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact directly at GMempirehotelnyc.com and I will personally assist you with the reservation.
It has been a challenge to manage the hotel temperature with this extreme cold weather. We have an engineering crew on site 24/7 always ready to assist any type of guest request, especially when it comes to control the room temperature.
We have experienced some technical malfunction with the dedicated elevator for our newly renovated gym. As an alternative we offer the complimentary use of the New York Sports Club located next door. I understand that this can be an inconvenience and I apology for this.
We do not directly operate the elevator maintenance. We have contracted a professional company to trouble shoot any type of elevator issue. Sometimes resolving the problem can take a little bit longer.
For the coffee and minibar prices, we are trying to keep them align with the market place.
If the space is really very important for you, I would recommend in the future booking Superior or a DeLuxe room. Our Standard rooms are approx. 191 square feet.
The security team inspects the emergency staircase on a daily basis and did not report any exposed wire. If you could email to me the picture I really appreciate. We take safety very seriously.
All the best,
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.