“Very trendy and nice hotel, with wonderful staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #268 of 446 hotels in New York City
Oslo, Norway
“Very trendy and nice hotel, with wonderful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this trendy and nice hotel for 4 nights. Our first impression was not that positive, we did not get any help from the bellmen outside and the staff in the reception that checked us in, did not inform us of anything, where the gym was, witch elevator we needed to use to get to our room, pool deck etc..Our room was quite spacious, kingsize bed and enough space for our big suitcases and shopping bags. The pool deck was cozy and relaxing, but the pool was a little bit small. They also have a rooftop bar that was very cool and trendy, nice view and good drinks. The lobby was busy, very spacious, nicely decorated, and there´s free wifi there. We only once saw a group of teenage girls passing by to look at the lobby, on a Gossip Girl tour.
Luckily our first impression of the hotel changed when we got excellent help from some of the great staff. The concierge (Chris) helped us to find places to go out and was spot on, and the staff in the reception helped us with adaptors, room change and much more. We changed our room twice. We got a room with inside view, and we wanted a room with a view. They changed that for use, but the room with view was smaller, so we changed back again. That shows the extent this hotel is willing to help, and we are very thankful for that, as it was not their fault but ours.
I would give this hotel an excellent rating thanks to some of the wonderful staff that made our stay excellent, the beautiful rooms, the rooftop bar, the lobby, the location... Unfortunately some of the staffs attitude makes the rating lower than the hotel deserves, because of bad attitude. But all in all I would absolutely recommend this hotel and stay there again. Especially thanks to Ricky in the reception, you made our stay excellent!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that´s far from the elevator, so you don´t hear it, and a room that has inside view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

2,129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I bought a room here for my sisters and brother-in-laws fourth wedding anniversary and was so glad I decided to go with Empire! We were greeted by the friendly staff at the front and had the easiest check-in. They were upgraded to a suite and welcomed at their room with a complimentary bottle of Champagne from the Food and Beverage director Aaron Collins. He made sure the room was up to par and we were all set with all of their needs. I watched my 6 month old niece here on her first trip to NYC, while they went out for a night on the town. Room Service was great and very quiet while she was napping. Special thanks for that! Aaron recommenced the Lobster Roll and now I am recommending it to you! Everything was perfect! The only down side was they were only in town for one night... they didn't want to leave! Make sure you check out the Roof Bar!! The views of Lincoln Center are stunning! I will be having my whole family stay here from now on. I'm SOLD!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear NJerseyroots,

Thank you for the great comments in your review on Trip Advisor. It’s awesome that you chose our hotel to share such a special family occasion. I am glad your family enjoyed a special anniversary and that our Director of Food and Beverage, Aaron was able to create a memorable experience. The lobster roll at Ed’s Chowder House is fantastic, I am so glad you had a chance to try it. We appreciate the great feedback and will be sure to share with our team. Thank you for choosing The Empire Hotel.

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

i am from london where the real estate is as dear as in new york, but in my home i give my cat a bigger room than the ones the empire gives its customers! ridiculously small, a bathroom you cant use, NO WARDROBE, wifi unstable, aircon old and noisy, and if you forget the charger at home, it s 30 dollars per day to use one.. never, ever anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear jwalker71,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. At The Empire Hotel we offer various room types with different layouts all designed to meet the specific needs of our guests. These options allow our guests to choose the perfect room that fits their requests and pricing. We also offer various amenities complimentary or for purchase so if you forget anything at home our staff is happy to assist. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Konigswinter, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The arrival experience was nice, friendly staff greeted us and the service was swift. Internet was complimentary, the king size bed was comfortable. So much for the positive impressions.
Our room was so small, I would say not more than 11 sqm, with a bathroom the size of a broom closet (a small one!). The windows have nowhere close to European standard (double glazing?!?) and the noise level in our room, facing Broadway/63rd was so loud, that sleeping without ear plugs is impossible. The a/c is very loud, so we had to switch it off for the night too, then again, I guess the outside noise might actually be just as bad. In winter, with the bad sealing of the window, I could imagine it gets pretty cold!
The maids did not do a good job, one day after a supposed cleaning of our room took place, they did not even replace towls, so handtowls were missing completely and the shower towels were dirty.
The elevators are a joke, sometimes we waited 5 minutes and more before one of them would arrive, not always were 3 in operation, once only one did work after all.
The "pool" is the size of a bigger bath tub, with so much chlorine in it, that your eyes hurt right away.
Value for money is very poor, since rates are high, location is average and sleeping comfort is terrible! You can find better hotels at similar rates, better location and better overall experience.

Room Tip: most rooms are very small, noise level is most probably very high in all rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear asimpilot,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. I have shared your comments with our executive team and we will address these issues accordingly. At The Empire Hotel we offer various room types with different layouts all designed to meet the specific needs of our guests. I am sure we can find the right one for you. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel.

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

To begin with the Hotel is in an amazing part of town, close to entertainment and shopping sites. A wonderful place for families to stay. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and was surprised at their knowledge of the city and willingness to share ideas and suggestions. Lyonel and Michael at the bar were extra friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend the bar and pool deck for the supreme view,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Scarsdale, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First of all, the vaunted Rooftop Bar, with its magnificent view of nothing, should have been kept for the enjoyment of guests, like a building roof should be available to its residents. I didn't anticipate sharing space with a nightclub, complete with bouncers and velvet ropes.

The elevators in this hotel should be ripped up and replaced. There were only 2 of 4 cars working; Each holds about 8 people; and people jam into them like they are subway cars. Maybe some of those elevators to the roof should be give over to the hotel.

Since I was not properly dressed for the rooftop, I hoped the lobby bar would be nice - until they did last call at midnight. Hell, are we in New York City or Podunk? I had to go next door to PJ Clarke's for a beer.

The room design in my King Suite (1036) was absurd: a foot-deep desk positioned smack in front of the widescreen TV, with no desk lighting at all; if you wanted to lean over the desk you would hit your head on the TV. Love that 6 x 6 bathroom with the toilet-paper roll 5 of those feet out of reach, plus cardboard cups instead of drinking glasses. Real classy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear fred w,

Thank you for posting a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service that we offer. Thank you for sharing your candid comments and we will be sure to investigate your reported inconveniences. Kindly note that The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. We have a great relationship with their management team and will be sure to share your comments. They have a commitment to service and welcome feedback. Perhaps the next time you visit, you will have an opportunity to enjoy the Pool Deck. It is now open for the Summer and is the perfect place to catch some rays and enjoy a refreshing cocktail!

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a Saturday and booked the "Splash" package, which included 2 drink vouchers and continental breakfast for 2. Price was good for NYC and for its awesome location. Our room overlooked Lincoln Center. Check in was easy and staff was nice, but they didn't go out of their way to explain anything (like the vouchers). Like many other reviews of this hotel, the elevators are slow so expect to wait a few minutes. Our room was on the 6th floor, standard queen.. Like I said, fine for a night or 2 if you are out and about in the city. Rooms are tiny! Be prepared for a small space, but it was ok for the time we were there. The A/C didnt work in our room and I had read reviews of others who had the same issue. We told the front desk on our way out for the night, when we returned it still wasnt working and no note or message to say someone looked at it.. It was 1am and we had cracked the window open and luckily the night was cool so that helped.
The continental breakfast was kind of a joke to be honest. It was on the rooftop which was great. You get either a bagel, danish or cereal, only one choice. Then there was yogurt and apples/oranges.. They had tea and coffee, no juice.. It was just really basic. Since it was included we were ok. I wouldn't pay separate for it( go to starbucks downstairs!). The pool is very small, just enough for one or 2 people to get wet , not kid friendly!
Overall we were happy with our stay. Location was perfect for what we had planned. Come with supplies such as water and snacks, its beyond ridiculous for how much they charge... I would stay there again with the expectation of I know what I'm getting and for under $300 and so close to Columbus Cir and the park not too shabby for NYC.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!