“Worst Hotel we've stayed in in a long time” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

Save Saved
You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #309 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Konigswinter, Germany
“Worst Hotel we've stayed in in a long time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The arrival experience was nice, friendly staff greeted us and the service was swift. Internet was complimentary, the king size bed was comfortable. So much for the positive impressions.
Our room was so small, I would say not more than 11 sqm, with a bathroom the size of a broom closet (a small one!). The windows have nowhere close to European standard (double glazing?!?) and the noise level in our room, facing Broadway/63rd was so loud, that sleeping without ear plugs is impossible. The a/c is very loud, so we had to switch it off for the night too, then again, I guess the outside noise might actually be just as bad. In winter, with the bad sealing of the window, I could imagine it gets pretty cold!
The maids did not do a good job, one day after a supposed cleaning of our room took place, they did not even replace towls, so handtowls were missing completely and the shower towels were dirty.
The elevators are a joke, sometimes we waited 5 minutes and more before one of them would arrive, not always were 3 in operation, once only one did work after all.
The "pool" is the size of a bigger bath tub, with so much chlorine in it, that your eyes hurt right away.
Value for money is very poor, since rates are high, location is average and sleeping comfort is terrible! You can find better hotels at similar rates, better location and better overall experience.

Room Tip: most rooms are very small, noise level is most probably very high in all rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear asimpilot,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. I have shared your comments with our executive team and we will address these issues accordingly. At The Empire Hotel we offer various room types with different layouts all designed to meet the specific needs of our guests. I am sure we can find the right one for you. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Empire Hotel.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

To begin with the Hotel is in an amazing part of town, close to entertainment and shopping sites. A wonderful place for families to stay. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and was surprised at their knowledge of the city and willingness to share ideas and suggestions. Lyonel and Michael at the bar were extra friendly and knowledgeable. I highly recommend the bar and pool deck for the supreme view,

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Scarsdale, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First of all, the vaunted Rooftop Bar, with its magnificent view of nothing, should have been kept for the enjoyment of guests, like a building roof should be available to its residents. I didn't anticipate sharing space with a nightclub, complete with bouncers and velvet ropes.

The elevators in this hotel should be ripped up and replaced. There were only 2 of 4 cars working; Each holds about 8 people; and people jam into them like they are subway cars. Maybe some of those elevators to the roof should be give over to the hotel.

Since I was not properly dressed for the rooftop, I hoped the lobby bar would be nice - until they did last call at midnight. Hell, are we in New York City or Podunk? I had to go next door to PJ Clarke's for a beer.

The room design in my King Suite (1036) was absurd: a foot-deep desk positioned smack in front of the widescreen TV, with no desk lighting at all; if you wanted to lean over the desk you would hit your head on the TV. Love that 6 x 6 bathroom with the toilet-paper roll 5 of those feet out of reach, plus cardboard cups instead of drinking glasses. Real classy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear fred w,

Thank you for posting a review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel on Trip Advisor. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service that we offer. Thank you for sharing your candid comments and we will be sure to investigate your reported inconveniences. Kindly note that The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. We have a great relationship with their management team and will be sure to share your comments. They have a commitment to service and welcome feedback. Perhaps the next time you visit, you will have an opportunity to enjoy the Pool Deck. It is now open for the Summer and is the perfect place to catch some rays and enjoy a refreshing cocktail!

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a Saturday and booked the "Splash" package, which included 2 drink vouchers and continental breakfast for 2. Price was good for NYC and for its awesome location. Our room overlooked Lincoln Center. Check in was easy and staff was nice, but they didn't go out of their way to explain anything (like the vouchers). Like many other reviews of this hotel, the elevators are slow so expect to wait a few minutes. Our room was on the 6th floor, standard queen.. Like I said, fine for a night or 2 if you are out and about in the city. Rooms are tiny! Be prepared for a small space, but it was ok for the time we were there. The A/C didnt work in our room and I had read reviews of others who had the same issue. We told the front desk on our way out for the night, when we returned it still wasnt working and no note or message to say someone looked at it.. It was 1am and we had cracked the window open and luckily the night was cool so that helped.
The continental breakfast was kind of a joke to be honest. It was on the rooftop which was great. You get either a bagel, danish or cereal, only one choice. Then there was yogurt and apples/oranges.. They had tea and coffee, no juice.. It was just really basic. Since it was included we were ok. I wouldn't pay separate for it( go to starbucks downstairs!). The pool is very small, just enough for one or 2 people to get wet , not kid friendly!
Overall we were happy with our stay. Location was perfect for what we had planned. Come with supplies such as water and snacks, its beyond ridiculous for how much they charge... I would stay there again with the expectation of I know what I'm getting and for under $300 and so close to Columbus Cir and the park not too shabby for NYC.

• Stayed August 2013
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Let's start off by saying that I absolutely loved the Empire Hotel. On my recent trip to New York I had the opportunity to stay at both the Empire and another hotel that we will not mention here. The Empire was by far the superior choice.

What had originally drawn me to the Empire was the responsiveness of their Assistant General Manager Joe. I saw that he was very active in responding to guests here on Tripadvisor and you just do not see that very often. It seemed like he really cared about the guest experience and was willing to go above and beyond in order to make sure the guest had a great stay and that they were satisfied with the hotel. That turned out to be very true and I have to say Joe really over delivered for me on this particular trip. Within minutes of my arrival at the Empire I knew this was going to be my go to hotel when traveling to NYC.

The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I was registered and had keys to my room in just a few minutes, no delays of any sort. Upon entering my room I was very pleasantly surprised. I stayed in a Jr. Suite and this room was at least twice the size of any rooms I have previously had in NY. Everything was very clean and the views out of both, yes I said both, of my windows were spectacular. The room was nice and cool and both of the air conditioners produced a nice steady stream of cold air (yes again, I said both!). The bathroom was very nice and had a great shower with an overhead showerhead which is nice because I am pretty tall and most hotel showers force me to somehow become 5'6 in order to get underneath the water. They have done a great job of renovating this hotel while still keeping all the character. All in all the room was great.

The location was also fabulous. Right across the street from the Lincoln Center Theater and just a few short blocks to Central Park. Lots of great food close by as well.

I did not make it up to see the rooftop bar/pool this time but look forward to checking it out next time.

Thanks again Joe, I sure appreciate the hospitality and I will be back. To everyone else, please give the Empire a try I am sure you will love it as much as I did.

Side Note: When I went to the second hotel of my stay I was very disappointed in the very small, cramped and dirty room with a view of a brick wall. Bad choice to move but I needed to be on the other side of town for the remainder of my trip. I will know better next time.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suite was a nice upgrade and worth the extra charge
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel is well located, and the staff was friendly. Despite this, the hotel generally was unprofessional. The rooms (we had a suite) lacked any suitable place to put one's clothes; the wifi was inconsistent; the elevators were broken and unreliable, and the lobby felt more lack Grand Central than a hotel. The Hotel, unfortunately, is trading more off its rooftop bar, than it is off the basic services of being a hotel. If one is looking for a well run professional hotel- avoid. If one wants a place that wants to be a club that also offers beds- then it may be the right place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear NYCinBp,

Thank for the review from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. The Empire Rooftop is managed and operated separately from the hotel. Guest service is our highest priority and focus at the hotel. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to regain your confidence and trust in The Empire Hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived, we were greeted by the lovely nick who was extremely friendly, warm and smily. He was aware it was our honeymoon and went out of his way to treat us by sending prosecca and chocolate strawberries to our room.
In addition, the concierge (male with blonde hair) was also extremely helpful and friendly. Te hotel is also very central and close to the subway. In general we had a very positive experience.

Some of the previous reviews on trip advisor are extremely harsh about this hotel, there may be some slight issues such as the slow elevators, but it really wasnt the end of the world. We also found the wifi in the lobby perfect and the shower was very powerful and warm at all times. Regarding the "small pool", at the end of the day it is new York and its a bonus to even have a pool.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Donna22mcc,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. Thank you as well for choosing our hotel to celebrate your honeymoon. I am thrilled that our hotel and the service of Nick Front Office team met your expectations. I will be sure to share your review with them. They love to hear positive feedback from our guests. I appreciate your honest and candid feedback. We never advertise our pool as Olympic size. It is a refreshing and relaxing plunge pool on our Pool Deck which has plenty of space to enjoy a cocktail and music overlooking Lincoln Center. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!