“Great for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #320 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“Great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

For the price, I think this is a good in-between hotel. Meaning, it's not the Mercer or the Four Seasons obviously. But, much more interesting and swanky than a Marriott. Feels like a W with some historical architecture. The location is great for walking and subway access. Staff was friendly and helpful. We had only two short waits for the infamously slow elevator, but nothing horrible. The bathroom is seriously lacking in practicality of design. Air conditioner worked well and wasn't too loud. Beds were comfortable and the view from our room was fabulous of Lincoln Center. You can hear noisy people in the hall, but typical of a building this age.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am a native new yorker , but no longer live in the city . I was brought in to speak for a conference at a university and they put me in this beautiful boutique hotel. Due to my lack of planning I forgot my credit card ( for deposit ) .. but we worked it all out . The front desk staff however , while cordial were certainly snobby. I guess it is midtown so maybe its to be expected , not sure . I know there was no real effort to be very welcoming , and I think it was because of my attire :) But one staff member , really went out their way to give us the level of customer service I was expected to receiving at the many hotels I travel to frequently for work. His name was Ricky. He was very pleasant and accommodating. He really went out his way to make make sure we were comfortable and I am very appreciative of that. Especially since I was coming in after a 7 hour delay in the airport . Many thanks to him . Empire this review would have been way more unpleasant . But Ricky saved the day . Thank you so much!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear ladyblue80,

Thank you for the detailed review from your most recent stay at The Empire Hotel. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service that we offer. I am pleased that overall you did enjoy your experience with us. It is great to see that Ricky was able to save your stay. I will be sure to share your review with him and the entire team as well. Thank you for staying at The Empire Hotel.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Empire Hotel for a week. The location was brilliant for tourists: minutes from Central Park, next to the Lincoln Center, 15 minute walk from Time Square. Only complaint, location wise would be that the number of reasonably-priced eateries in the area was limited (or they were hidden well and the hotel didn't help us to find them!).

Our room (superior, 4th floor) was spacious for NYC, had a great bathroom (though drainage from the shower not good and risked over-flowing a couple of times). We were able to see out onto the Lincoln Centre Plaza, which I liked.

We found the service average - it was polite enough but we didn't feel really welcomed to the hotel and there was certainly no effort made to provide any extras or useful information. Free wifi was available in the lobby area which is gorgeously decorated in an Art Deco style but I still think its fairly ridiculous not to have free wifi in the rooms, these days.

We had drinks in the hotel bar - excellent and innovative cocktails - and dined on one night in the chowder house attached to the hotel on the first floor: both were on the expensive side but great quality and worth the money.

Would we stay again? There wouldn't be any reason not to, but I think we'd have been better staying further out where food and shopping were cheaper and traveling in on the excellent subway network to see the touristy things.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay here for our one year trip to the city! When we arrived, we were told our queen bed bedroom wasn't available yet (we arrived RIGHT at check in time) and would be any minute, but then we were promtly greeted by the manager and told that we were being upgraded to a king suite!! In celebration of our anniversary! And then given a few small favors from the hotel! So to say the least the staff was very nice! The atmosphere was very much relaxed which is nice to come home to in a busy city, and the hotel is beautifully decorated! Our room was supurb with a great view of the lincoln center, and overall the noise level is not bad! My favorite was the showers and the very friendly maids! The hotel is smack dab next to central park, a good 10 min walk to times square, and a few blocks from the nearest subway (About a 5 min walk). The rooftop bar was AMAZING, stunning, and very popular! Drinks are a little pricey but what isn't in nyc? (Expect anywhere in the city to have $8 beers and $15 wells)
Only slight cons? Elevators are very slow working and our room was a bit cosmetically damaged but not anything bad! (no shower door, bathroom door was cracked, etc)
Def recommend this hotel.
Fyi- husband and I are in our younger 20s for those wondering but can completly agree that this a very nice, upscale hotel! :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear amjamber,

Thank for the great comments in your review. It was a pleasure to host you and your husband on your anniversary. It is awesome to see that you had a memorable experience and are looking forward to returning. Thank you for the tips in your comments. I am sure other travelers will find them useful as well. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel.

Regards,

gm@empirehotelnyc.com
Isleworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Whatever you do, do not accept a run of the house room!! We originally arrived and was placed in a nice looking but very warm room (and considering that this is Dec in NYC it was a little strange) but we proceeded to stay in the room... For the night!!! After a long 8 hour flight we settled down only to be woken up by what I can only describe as a trainers (or sneakers) in a tumble dryer sound. This kept us awake the whole night. However come morning the staff couldn't be more helpful. They discussed the issue with our agent and moved our room (albeit to a smoking floor room but that would have to do as it was over the Xmas and NYE period.) After that though we began to enjoy ourselves and could only then relax. The bar/ lounge area was very nicely kitted out and the staff there are a great complement to the hotel. The club at the penthouse was really nice to and was always packed of an evening. The location is great and the price is good, also with a Starbucks and Duane Reede within touching distance you can't go wrong lol.

Room Tip: Stay away from run of the house and beware of the tax and hotel deposit, as a first time traveller t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel, as i had read some pretty bad reviews about it before I went in November 2012. The hotel for me was more about a nice space to chuck my suitcase and get a nice comfy sleep. My check - in was prompt and the concierge was very helpful. My room (standard) was a nice space for two and the bed was very comfy. My room was located one floor below the rooftop bar, when the window was open you could hear the odd group chatting but nothing that kept me up all night. The only thing that did make me worry was some of the things they say they charge you for like bath robes, umbrellas, etc weren't in my room when I checked in (not that I wanted them) but thankfully I was not charged for something I never had. Overall this hotel is really elegant and I had a really nice stay during thanksgiving! I would defiantly recommend it for tourists who want a nice hotel, good price and great location!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Staceyeliz,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your November visit to The Empire Hotel. You must have had a great experience as it has been quite a while since your visit. You have to come back soon. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Reading feedback on Trip Advisor only helps us. If you ever need a contact at The Empire, do not hesitate to reach me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to New York.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went because of the location but after a few days that wasn't enough to justify the hotel. To start with only half the elevators worked at any time and the waits were 5 minutes or longer to get one. We tried to take the stairs, but discovered the second floor is 4 stories up a dingy unmarked stairway. The rooms are nice enough but be careful of the showers. The rain shower head washes you and the bathroom floor, so be careful you don't slip. Plus if you request turn down service don't expect to get towels for the morning, that happened to us twice. They took the wet towels and left the two of us with one towel for bathing and washing. The rooms do not have coffee pots, we were told to go to the street vendors outside for our morning coffee. We went to Starbucks at the corner every morning. The brochure states that there is free wireless at the pool deck, not true, its in the lobby and is really slow. Room wireless is expensive for the speed and price. Last then I'm done, if you want ice you must order it through room service and wait 1/2 hour and if your unlucky and your television breaks the repair man will kindly unplug it for you and then leave. I will be looking for a new hotel in the future.

Room Tip: The hotel converts and clloses the pool every evening into a disco which is bad for children and any...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 2westie,

Thank you for the detailed feedback from your recent stay at The Empire Hotel. I am disappointed and concerned to hear of your negative experience. It is certainly not indicative of the service our staff strives to provide our guests. I have shared your comments with our executive team and we will address accordingly. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We would like to note that our Pool Deck and The Empire Rooftop are two separate areas of the hotel. We do provide music and sometimes a DJ on the Pool Deck but it is always a comfortable and fun place for family and friends to enjoy. Please contact me directly at gm@empirehotelnyc.com if you would like to discuss your experience or if you need any assistance. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back as I am sure your next experience will be a positive one.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!