“Great price at Christmas time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #316 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Huntington, New York
“Great price at Christmas time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We got a great deal at this hotel,of 200.00 dollars per night and it was well worth it. The location is great, close to subway and restaurants. I was traveling. With two children and my husband and the room was very small, but who cares when you in NY you spend very little time in the room. The hotel bar was CRAZY expensive and the breakfast was too....all in all I would recommend this hotel for sure...

Room Tip: We were in room 222 which had a lovey view of Lincoln Center
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The location of this hotel is fabulous; with easy walking to museums, great restaurants, and a perfect entrance to a fun area of Central Park. The rooms themselves, small even by NY standards, are nice with comfortable beds and great water pressure. The Empire needs to address the leaking shower, which I see from other reviews, is an obvious issue. No matter how we tried to jerry-rig it, we still ended up with a giant puddle on the floor after every shower. The hotel lobby and bar feel more like Jersey Shore, than Manhattan. The animal prints are cringe worthy and the couches and curtains are an attempt at swanky but miss the mark and are just cheesy. We came to NY on this trip with a large group of friends, so we spent quite a bit of time in the lobby and lobby bar area as a place to meet. It was not a comfortable location as the chairs are all too low and deep & oversized just enough that one person sitting in it looks silly and two feel awkward. The rooftop bar presents as a "place to be" with the ropes and bouncers, but has that women-with-glittery-purses atmosphere. Again, more cheesy than the upscale atmosphere I think they are trying to go for. There are 4 elevators in the lobby and they are agonizingly slow. We did very much like the Chowder House, which has a crisp feel and a friendly bartender. Although the location of this hotel is nice - we will be staying somewhere else on our next trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Leavenworth, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I just stayed here in September for our 10th anniversary. The hotel manager upgraded our room and gave us a bottle of champagne. Besides that special perk, the staff was amazing the hotel was clean and beautifully decorated. It has a great lobby bar with great Next to the hotel are two great restaurants and an awesome rooftop bar. The location can't be beat, close to Central Park and the Subway Station. There is a Starbucks around the corner that is always packed. Hint... go a couple blocks you'll find another one that isn't as crowded. We will stay at this hotel again. I did not have one complaint.

Room Tip: We asked not to be in an inside room since I'm claustrophobic. We had a great view of Lincoln C...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Jennifer W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Empire. Thank you as well for choosing to spend your anniversary with us. I am delighted you had a great experience and appreciate all of the great tips shared in your comments. If you should ever need a contact at The Empire, please do not hesitate to reach me at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com. On behalf of management and staff, I wish you a continued happy and successful marriage.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Hotel itself is lovely however do not book the lead in category rooms. They are the size of a cupboard. No joke. Area lovely and walk able to times square however next time I will check sizes of rooms. This hotel is the new kid on the block with the young and beautiful heading for the hip roof top bar. guest list only and flanked by bouncers. If that''s thing great but was not for me. I would stay again but would 100% upgrade room type to ensure bigger. My 6 ft husband had trouble getting in and out of the bathroom it was so cramped.

Room Tip: As above DO NOT book the lead in rooms - they are so tiny. Upgrade all the way.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear 24karen,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your May visit at The Empire. I am glad you found the hotel to be “lovely”. I do apologize that you felt the room was small. I hope we have a chance to welcome you back so that you may experience a different room category that we offer. Please contact me directly at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com if you need any assistance with a future stay. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good location close to Columbus circle and the Lincoln centre. Busy lobby that seemed dominated by a very active bar.

Service was good (cleaning, door man and concierge). We upgraded to a larger room with a seating area given the earlier reviews. This does give extra space, although space still is an issue for storing bags, clothes as there wasn't a true closet. The bathroom was small and again tough to store anything or maneuver.

Overall this would be a solid back up if another hotel wasn't available ( crowne plaza, westin, Parker meridian)

Room Tip: We were on the 3 rd floor and didn't have noise issues although only view was of walls.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear slbe,

Thank you for posting a review of The Empire on Trip Advisor. As Assistant General Manager, I am extremely pleased the location of the hotel and comfort and cleanliness of your room met your expectations. I will be sure to share your comments with our housekeeping and front office team. Thank you for staying at The Empire, and I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of NYC hotels, so I don't hold the small rooms, aging building, noisy AC or street noise against the Empire. Unless you spend a fortune, that's just what you getting in the Big Apple. However, a good hotel compensates for the negative things that can't be changed by acing the things that can be changed. This is where the Empire deserves some criticism.

1) Service, while friendly, is very inconsistent, and the hotel seems to struggle to get the small stuff right. Day 1: room service meal arrives with no salt and pepper. Day 2: one of the room's two water glasses seems to have been removed permanently by the housekeeping staff, and there is no breakfast menu to hang outside the door (there was one on day one). I used up the hotel-provided moisturizer in the little tiny hotel bottle on day 1; on day two, no new one was provided. The 3/4 empty tiny shampoo bottles i left by the sink after my morning shower had been neatly lined up when I returned in the evening, but not replaced or replenished.

2) Amenities: really, no coffee maker in the room? Even crummy motels now offer these. And really, no iron unless you call, ask, and wait 20 minutes? And really, no obvious place to plug things in near the desk or bedside tables? Buy a power strip, guys. Forgot your toothbrush? The hotel will provide a brush a tiny toothpaste tubes... For $17. These are standard and free upon request in most hotels above the Motel 6 level.

Oh, yeah: the shower. The shower stall has a glass half wall on the side closest to the faucet, but no curtain or door, so when you shower water splashes all over. By a shower curtain, Empire Hotel! They're your floors that are getting soaked. And worse, from my perspective, is the fact that there seems to be no way to turn on the water in the shower without getting soaked with cold water first-- because of the glass half wall, you can't reach in to turn it n or off without actually getting all the way in first. And since there is no regular bath tap, just a shower head that cannot be angled,p, you have to basically stand under it the water, freezing, until it warms up.

On the plus side: room service burger was actually delicious, and breakfast not half bad. Staff is very friendly; toiletries are high end; bed is comfy.

Empire Hotel, I hope you get better! My company apparently plans to put me here every time I'm in NY-- it is very convenient to the NY office-- so I expect to spend a lot of time here. Hoping for a slightly more impressive performance from you guys next time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Joseph R, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear RB20122013,

Thank you for the detailed feedback from your stay at The Empire. We take our guests’ feedback seriously and use it to improve the product and service we offer. I will be sure to share your review with our management team. If you need any additional assistance, do not hesitate to contact me directly at jrauer@empirehotelnyc.com. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Empire as I am confident your next stay will be a positive one.

Suffield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We celebrated my niece's birthday in the lounge with about 40 friends and family attending. It was a very sophisticated and intimate location. The appetizers were delicious and the care of our party was impeccable. Gabriel, the manager of our event, was attentive to every detail and was always nearby in case anyone needed him. Our event was to end at 10pm, but we ended up staying until nearly 1am - and we continued to receive friendly service. A very memorable night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!