“Excellent Location at an Affordable Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #322 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Orlando, Florida
“Excellent Location at an Affordable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I booked two nights at this hotel blindly without even knowing the name. It was a pleasant suprise for a price that was south of $200.00. The common areas ared dated, but nice. The elevators are small and slow. Most rooms have no view. The pool is smaller than a hot tub. There is a South Beach style club on the roof which draws crowds on weekend nights. The guest rooms have been updated are are very nicely done. Small, but very nice. The hotel tries to make up on low rates by trying to sell you everything in your room. The mini bar concept on steroids. But all things considered, a very nice stay next door to Lincoln Center at a very good price. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a low floor to mak ethe elevator experience as short as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Truman G,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here in 2007 and 2008 and came back again this past week. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! First off, there were no glasses in the room, there were 2 flat pillow on each of the double beds and the room was so hot! We had to have engineering come up about the airconditioner and he told us it was because our room was big! BIG? there was less than 2 feet from foot of bed to wall and the bathroom was minute! Engineering had to finally bring us a fan that we left on for our 3 day stay. We called for ice and each time it took over 30 minutes, no matter if we called for it at 10 am, 5 pm or 10 pm. Oddly we ran into friends who were staying at the hotel and they too said they would never come back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear rmeri,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback thru TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager I would like to sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced during your recent stay with us. Please be assured that we continue to strive to enhance both our product and service levels and work to exceed our guest expectations. I would appreciate the oopportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com if I may be of any assistance.

Brisbane, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Nice place for those that are not claustrophobic, or those that don't like bright rooms. It was kind of what i expected of new york small room. we had 2 double beds no room to swing a cat. & we had 4 people all with luggage. Nearly checked out after 7 min after experiencing 10 - 12 people squeezing into lift which is for 8 maximum.Tagain claustrophobic i got off every time more than 6 people got in as you can imagine it took me time to get to my detination The pool is very small lap pool the reason we booked was because of pool and picture of pool roof area.. what a mistake -I wanted to escape the darkness but you can't take your own food or drink onto the roof area. paid $20 for a gin & tonic.decent walk up to the roof area after leaving the lift. lobby area again dark, 3 of the 4 lifts worked. close to central park & subway. night club great for kids to escape to. Wi fi in lobby but as i say dark strain on eyes if you have docs or papers to read.

Room Tip: it has been renovated, if you like light & bright don't book the empire
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Marie T,

Thank you for providing us with your fedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I apologize for the challenges you experienced with the elevator and can assure you that it is since been rectified. We do have several different room types at the Empire and although it is challenging to fit 4 adults in one room, I am sure we have a room configuration that will accomodate your travel needs. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the property if I may be of any further assistance. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time you are in NYC.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I’ve visited New York City several times and stayed in numerous hotels. The Empire Hotel is without a doubt, the best hotel I’ve stayed at thus far. My stay at the Empire Hotel was really nice and so were the staff, especially Daniel, who greeted my friends and I as we entered the hotel and as we left each day. A pleasant smile in the morning makes a great start to one’s day. Daniel gave us great advice and helped us find our way around the city. The decor and ambience at the Empire Hotel were beautiful. The rooms were elegant and classy. The bathrooms were contemporary and very clean and the beds were exceptionally comfortable. Unfortunately the pool was closed when we went, but there will always be a next time! I would definitely return to Empire Hotel on my next trip to New york City. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Aiyana M,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to sharing your post with the Empire team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Layton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great place, but didn't have an ATM in the Hotel, which was frustrating cause I had to leave the hotel to find one. Other than that, it was a great place. The hotel was located in a great place which was very nice. Was able to go to central park and the subway was very easy to get to. The hotel is is decent shape for being so old. Would I stay there again, yes. I've stayed in many hotels in New York and almost all have had an ATM there which made it so convenient for me, so I was a little disappointed that this hotel didn't have one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Boston w,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will share your feedback on the ATM with our Executive team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Just spent ten nights at this hotel with my teenage daughter. Our room was adequate but no more. It was on fourth floor at the front of the hotel so had a view of the Lincoln Centre - lovely. Best feature of the hotel is the location - excellent for access to subway, close to amenities and Central Park. The rooftop 'pool' is tiny - I would guess approx 4 feet by 10 feet and was full of children on the one occasion we visited. All the sunloungers were occupied by people or 'reserved' by towels - not worth the trek up to the roof! Have not previously stayed in NYC so nothing to compare with but not a patch on London hotels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michelle G,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our amazing location. The rooftop pool deck is only for guests of the Hotel and I apologize that it was crowded when you made your way up there. It really is a unique amenity for our guests and tends to fill up on hot July afternoons! We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My fiancée and I booked this hotel for our annual NYC trip on Priceline. The rates were much better than similarly situated / rated hotels in the city and it was a last minute trip, so we thought we had gotten lucky...sadly we were sorely mistaken. Aside from the fact that this place seems thrown together (read other reviews about room size, bathroom design, etc...) the closing mechanism on our door did not function and our room was broken into on the first day we were there - and my iPad was stolen. Both my fiancee and I have traveled extensively and never had this happen so when we went to report this, we were surprised at how awful the experience turned out being.

Upon reporting our room was broken into, the "security" officer gave some vague excuse that he was too busy right then, and told us to check back with him in an hour. So we did, obviously frustrated and confused by the lack of concern (I can only imagine if we were in the room when it were broken into and assaulted); at which point he referenced the fact that we had left our door open and that the hotel was not responsible. He said that we could report it to the police, but basically there was nothing they could do. You can imagine how awesome it was spending 2 hours with the NYPD on vacation. After the police left we circled back with the hotel staff, and realized just how worthless they were.

I will commend them on how adept they were at removing my fiancée and I from the front desk 'public area' to discuss the fact our room was broken into, but in every other regard they were a hot mess. Contradictory statements, the front deck manager avoiding us, the security officer making ridiculous accusations that we had left the door open and that there was 'no way' a hotel employee would enter a room...basically playing a game with us and putting the responsibility back on us. I could go on and on about how the hotel wouldn't provide a key log for our door (although it purportedly showed that we had left it open?), or that there was no proactive measures taken to talk with us about what had happened, or how the security person told me to go to Apple because they would assuredly replace my device...but I won't.

The bottom line is that a little understanding and professionalism would have gone a long way - I get that any yahoo can walk into a hotel and claim their priceless jewels were stolen - but in instances where the hotel really is at fault and the jewels really were stolen, they should consider a different approach.

...and now we're going to sue them! If this happens to you, be aware that in common law states (oh, I guess they didn't realize my fiancée is an attorney...Oops!) that there is an Innkeeper Statute that basically puts the responsibility on the hotel to assure it is safe and secure. There is a $500 limit, but that will cover most of the cost of my iPad, and if nothing else hopefully it will force these jack-holes to think before they blow paying patrons off.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Josh M,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I can assure you that the Hotel did everything possible to assist you with your lost item. If you would like to discuss your experience in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jbaldwin@empirehotelnyc.com.

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!