“Nice Stay - Close to the Subway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #316 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Fort Worth, Texas
“Nice Stay - Close to the Subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked through Hotwire so got a great deal. It was a short walk to the Lincoln Center subway station and made it easy to tour the city. The rooftop deck is neat. Clean room, fun decor. Nice stay for a quick 24 hours in NYC. It would probably end up being cheaper just to valet, we parked at a garage around the corner and it was very expensive.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Puyallup, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We traveled to NY for a wedding near LIncoln Center. This was the perfect hotel to stay in for our event. The location is very nice. The subway is just across the street at LIncoin Center. The cabs are always at the hotel and were readily available when we needed them. You can walk to Central park. We also stayed in Midtown, and this location was much nicer. The service was great, we were treated like extra special customers. The rooms were very nice and the look was dark modern. The rooms are very small as in many NY hotels, so be prepared. We had two Double beds. We had 3 large bags because of the wedding and there wasn't a good place to put the bags. If you have smaller bags, it isn't too bad. The room was very clean. Some of the paint was peeling on the bathroom door, so it wasn't perfect, but the overall look was nice. The shower door was different with no door or curtain. There wasn't much chance of showering without getting water on the floor, but it wasn't too bad. They supplied new floor towels/mats every day. The air conditioning worked great which was a concern as I had read bad reviews about the air conditioning. If you have a concern like that, call the hotel ahead of time or email the manager and they will make sure you are satisfied. We also enjoyed visiting with family in the lobby. It was a little noisy with a bar right there, but the atmosphere and furnishings were very modern and appealing. The rooftop pool is a little lap pool, We tried to go swimming, but even on a hot evening, the water was way too cold. We had vouchers for breakfast which was nice. Ed's Chowder House is such a beautiful restaurant. We didn't have an opportunity to eat there for other meals, but the service at breakfast was fabulous. Having worked in the travel industry, and having stayed at other properties in NY, this one is very nice. I think people have the conception that 4 star is really deluxe, but I figure a 4 star in NY is like a 3 star other places, and the stars don't always indicate how nice they are, but how many amenities are available. This one matched my expectation for a 4 star and I am so glad we stayed there. I would reccomend this property and would stay there again. Look for specials. We got one from the hotel's website.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask which room is quiet and has good air conditioning units. We were on the 7th floor...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here for a week in July on business. I had a nice room but was paying top whack for a superior double, so would have expected as much. It was pretty dark though, as was the lobby, the lifts and the corridoors, which were all very brown... The service was fine, the hotel has a high turnover of guests so always lots of coming and goings with guests. Hotel pool is more like a large bath and was full of kids when I saw it. Roof top bar is fine, great if you smoke, seems to be populated by twenty and thirty something's with high heels and clearly deep pockets. A round do drinks for five was 100 dollars. The location is great and there is a Starbucks one minute walk away for breakfast. It opens at 530 so is great if you are jet lagged. There is also a 24 hour duane reade 2 minutes away for all your tobacco/food/medicine/cosmetics needs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Missbloggs,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your fedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am pleased to hear you had an opportunity to enjoy all the Empire Hotel has to offer our guests - a plunge pool on our roof deck, our beautiful Rooftop Loungs and our amazing location. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Firstly just to point out I've resorted to writing this review as talking to hotel staff gets you nowhere at this hotel.

And also to point out the location is great etc. etc. but hotels are in the service and experience industry and it's the job of hotel staff to ensure that each guest's experience is up to scratch. Sadly on this occasion, our experience to date (yes I'm still at the hotel - only cos I've paid up) has been disappointing.

Similar to other reviews on this site, on check-in we were made to feel like the bad guys for booking a room through a third party website offering a special offer on rooms at a lesser rate. Having booked a standard queen, at check-in we were told this was a single room and "was the smallest room in the hotel" and would we like an upgrade for an additional fee. Given we were a couple, a single bed wasn't going to be suitable. We agreed to the upgrade at our expense, this decision was greeted with a cheer from the girl behind the desk that she had got an upgrade furthermore she left the desk and went into a room next door and cheered again - unbelievably unprofessional. At this point we decided to look at the upgraded room as well as the 'single' room. The single room although small had a queen bed in it, which was fine. Given we were told this was the smallest room and by the impression from the girl at the desk,the worst room in the hotel we asked to see the manager to see what we could do.

The manager came out to speak to us, but were not even greeted with a hand shake, smile, hello, how can I help - totally on the defensive straight away and we were made to feel that we had done something wrong, like we were in a courtroom as opposed to a hotel lobby, on honeymoon. The tone we were spoken to in was totally unnecessary and inappropriate (left my new wife in tears) and has tarnished our overall opinion of the hotel since our arrival resulting in this post.

After this meeting we decided not to go with the upgrade given our treatment but to add insult to injury our room was next to the entrance to the rooftop pool deck with people going up and down until 3am so the noise was incredible. Minor issues like room keys repeatedly not working, rooms not being made up I can live with, but as a paying guest I cannot let the manner in which we were treated go by. It seemed like as we had paid for a room at a cheaper rate we were going to get a lesser level of service. I have never written a post on this before on any hotel and I have stayed in many hotels all over the world but have never felt this strongly and felt it necessary to voice these issues.

I don't mean to tar all the staff with the same brush, as most have been great, but unfortunately our experience at the beginning of our stay was unacceptable and all we would have expected was to be treated in a professional and civil manner.

M. Dunne

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Dunne,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel I could not agree with you more that in the service industry, it is all about our guests. That is why I was so disappointed to read your post. I was pleased to hear, however, that you were still our guest in the Hotel as it provided us an opportunity to ensure that the rest of your stay was enjoyable. I do hope that the Empire Team was able to take such a negative initial expereince into a postiive one and that you were pleased with our efforts. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you and do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire Hotel the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Good hotel in great location. We booked a room with 2 dble beds. Confirm noted the beds and also that there was free wifi. When we went to check in they had us in a room with a king bed. We had to wait a few hours for the right room to be available. Then we tried to use the internet it was saying that there was a high charge for it. We had to work threw that issue as well.

Reasonable room and great location. Was a nuisance that we had to keep negotiating for what we had booked for.

Be prepared. It seems like this place does huge volume. It has that feel and the staff although pleasant enough, just seem to deal with the masses.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear smiffie22,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire. As the Assistant General Manager, I would like to apologize for the challenges you experienced upon check in. Please be assured I will be sharing your post wit our front Office time so they are mindful of providing the appropriate amenities booked by our guests. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel if I may be of any further assistance. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcoem you back to the Empire in the near future.

United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The only thing good about our stay at The Empire was how nice and clean the room and hotel was in general. Unfortunately that is the only thing that was pleasant about our stay.

When we checked in we were supposed to be given a waiver explaining that we would be charged an extra hundred dollars per night for insurance purposes and after check out the money would be given back. We were given that waiver on day TWO of our stay, after we asked why our account was charged an extra two hundred dollars. The hotel charged my card three times before they told me that my card was declining. I showed them my bank statement showing the charge FOR the hotel as a pending charge and they basically called me a liar. How could I post a fake charge to my account? To further prove that they did in fact charge me i called my bank and we had a conference call with my accountant and he thorouly explained to the rude manager that the account was on hold because the amount was charged more than once at the same hotel, when I called to approve the charge, it was approved and would be posted to my account at 3 PM that day. The only response from the manager was "so are gonna get the money?"

The staff was not attentive, at all, i had to explain this situation to 3 different front desk members because no one communicates. the manager was rude and not understanding, all he cared about was getting his money NOW, not caring that he charged my account three times without my notification, and the amount charged to my account was not the amount that I was quoted. I was never given a waiver to sign when I checked in, there is no organization. when we finally figured out the situation with my card the manager said he'd charge the card one last time and give me a call when it goes through. An hour goes by and he doesn't call so I called and he said they got the payment. I am positive that they wouldve called immediately if the card didn't go through, however.

This was a horrible ending to what could have been a perfect trip to this beautiful city. The rates are way to high and create high expectations that are not fulfilled by the staff. I would never recommend this place to friends or family despite the nice overall appearance of the hotel. I wouldn't even recommend this place to someone I didn't like.

Room Tip: If you DO decide to stay here, choose a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Than D,

Thank you for your feedback. Upon reviewing your account, it appears that we had some challenges securing authorization on your credit card which prompted our front office team to reach out to you for an alternate form of payment. Although your credit card is not formally charged until checkout, we do need to place a hold on the necessary funds upon arrival. I do apologize if this not communicated to you effectively by our team. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any further assistance.

Voorhees, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great location midtown near Lincoln centre and central park. The lobby pool deck and rooms aredecorated in a funky chic style and are very comfortable. Unfortunately the front desk staff's attitude didn't match. We were there for a wedding and couldn't give us a half hour late check out to allow us to finish attending the next day brunch. And they were rude about it. Very disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bzucknj,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant GM I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and hope you had a great time at the wedding. I apologize that we were not able to accomodate your late check out request as we have a small window of time to prepare our rooms for our arriving guests. I hope this did not inconveninece you in any way. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!