“A big fan of the Empire” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #314 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, England
“A big fan of the Empire”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I first heard of the Empire hotel as a Gossip Girl fan, and then it was in SATC so when I saw the deal on Travel Republic for only £600 for 5 nights in August I jumped at it! The hotel is located really well, 5 mins away from Columbus circle, 15 from Times Square and near a well connected Subway line. You can see Central Park from the roof as that's just 2 mins away. There is a starbucks literally underneath it and a few other shops located on the main road from the Subway/Columbus Circle. The Lincoln Centre is on the door step!

We found the service to be efficient and very helpful, when we arrived the air con in our room wasnt working properly and this was in the summer, so we were moved to an alternative room immediately. We managed to be in New York the same week as both the earthquake and hurricane (unlucky!!) and the hotel were excellent with advice and guidance etc.

There were only 2 negatives, one is the size of the room...I know NYC rooms are small..ive stayed in a few different hotels but for a 4 star i was expecting a little more space, there was barely room for 2 of us to walk either side of the ned, never mind put our suitacases out! Also the same problem with the water in the shower...think this is a serious design flaw. The other reason is the rooftop terrace/pool/bar...I was very confused as guests have direct access to the pool deck (which is fab but as others have said this is a plunge pool NOT a proper pool..its tiny!!), i went up there and could see the hotel Empire sign...however this is not the same place as the evening bar/club and to get to this even guests have to go down to the lobby and then queue and go up in a separate lift to the bar area...I really think they should offer guests some kind of priority/direct access and its one of the major selling points!!

Going back to NYC in Sept this year but cant get the Empire for less than £180 a night so i must have got an excellent deal last year. Overall i would recommend it, its a fab hotel in a great location...but just be aware of exactly what you are getting for your money.

Room Tip: Inside rooms have no view....make sure you check out the GG cocktails in the lobby because they dont...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear nutytart,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Finding a great hotel, with descent prices in a good location in New York, is no small feat. For the perfect ' girlfriend' weekend or a quick get a way while catching a show- the Empire Hotel fits pretty darn well!
Having stayed there years ago, I recall smallish rooms, some with views that look towards the river and bathrooms that didn't allow exactly spell modern. But they've remodeled(not sure of the year) and the rooms now are soothing and comfortable- albeit a bit small- with modern bathrooms and some luxury touches.
Frette towels and sheets, a good comforter and a mattress that allows rest for weary shoppers at days end ... add to the benefits this hotel provides.

For Lincoln Center activities, you cannot touch this location and if you wish to shop... whether at Barney's or Bergdorf, the shops at Time Warner Center , this location is tops.

It's an easy walk to the Subway- giving you great freedom to zoom around the City ( I made it to Meatpacking and the Lower East Side in about 20 each) but also allows you to stroll through Central Park to enjoy the Met or take a short cab ride to most of the City's most popular attractions.

If you are a jogger.. your option other than Central Park, is the fantastic West Side park.. and the smaller boutique style shops of the Upper West Side are just a few blocks away.

The lobby is windy with doors that seem to be constantly opening , but the check in and check out process was smooth and friendly. A great Bell Captain ( sorry, cannot recall his name) managed to control of 15 some odd bags of ' shopping treasures' along with our regular totes with a smile!

Drinks in the lobby bar and mezzanine area were not as good as we had hoped. The mixologist could use a bit of training , given there are two insanely good bars just a few blocks away were drinks are not only conjured up from incredible imagination, but are truly memorable ( Bar Bolud/ Bolud Sud and Lincoln) .

I do however, plan to make The Empire- my NYC home away from home, as it allows me to visit with my UWS friends and connect quickly to the LES where I enjoy the fresh , less corporate feeling shops and restaurants.

There is a Starbucks immediately attached to the lobby for those who cannot talk until they have their first cup ( hmmmm) and while there are restaurants who are attached to this hotel, I did not try either.

It was snowing the weekend we were there, so the rooftop and it's view- which we heard was pretty fantastic- was not the place to head. There is a ' wait on line' to get in bar scene up there.. but to be honest, I did not have the energy to check that out scene ..after long hours walking the streets of Manhattan trying to help restore the US economy!

All in all.. the Empire feels comfortable and the rooms good. I'd love a few more plugs for all the electronic stuff we need to charge and maybe a better place to get a good look at the outfit or makeup.. all things they can add if they'd like.

So for an easy location and good space that is a nice blend of luxury, location and amenity.. try the Empire Hotel. I'm headed back this weekend, and will update my review based on that say.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, you might opt for a higher floor. This is NYC .. so don't expect si...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Logistar,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback of our property on TripAdvisor. From your posting, it sounds as though you took advantage of all the amazing amenities we have to offer our guests including the Lobby Bar and our incredible location! We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Was pleasantly surprised at the renovated digs of the Empire Hotel. The only reason I didn't rate it as very good was because of the bathroom. When we took showers, alot of water ended up on the floor so we had to mop it up with towels. Clearly, an unanticipated error in the design.

The bed, pillows and duvet were a great upgrade.

We stayed on the first floor, which was suprisingly not horribly noisy. And we were only steps away from the workout center, which besides great equipment, always had good water.

We kept being surprised at how close it was to everything! Sure, the room was close but it wasn't claustrophobic.

Room Tip: Get a room that's lower down from the club on the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear lauraleah,

Thank you for posting your review of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC (from Chicago!)!!

Assistant General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is my third time staying at The Empire. Each time I have a good experience. The staff is always nice and helpful. It's a great location. You can either walk to a ton of places or grab the train (either at Lincoln Center or Columbus Circle) to places further away.
THE ROOMS ARE SMALL, if you need a large room, you should book a suite or choose another place, however if you are like me and are only using a room for sleeping, showering and changing clothes, then its perfect (I had a standard queen. The king rooms are a little bigger, but not by much, so I just opted for the queen). The club is nice or if you want something quieter, you can hang around in the in the lobby or on the mezzanine, they have great seating in those places if you want to have a drink and relax. Also, because I had stayed at the hotel a few times prior, they did send me an email with special offers (I got one night for free) and if you are a returning guest they have a nice card and cookie waiting for you in your room :)

Room Tip: Don't book a queen room if you need/want a larger sized room. Book a suite instead. The king s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Lenetra,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you are a loyal guest of our property. Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the Hotel if I may be of any assistance moving forward.

Linwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on Valentine's Day because of it's close proximity to Lincoln Center. We arrived about 1:30 pm and knew our room probably wouldn't be ready until the 3pm check-in time. The man at the front desk asked for our cell # and said they'd call us when the room was ready. We went out for a stroll through Central Park and around 3pm started to head back to the hotel. We never received a call but assumed the staff didn't call because we knew check-in was at 3. We planned to go back to the room, relax for 30+ minutes and then shower for our 5pm dinner reservation. When we went to get our key from the front desk it was approximately 3:10. We were told our room had a problem and we would have to wait 15 minutes more. I was highly annoyed because the man didn't offer us an apology or even a drink at the lobby bar. We waited in the lobby for EXACTLY 20 minutes. I then sent my husband back up to the desk to get our key. The same gentleman said it was going to be another 20+ minutes. My husband then heard another man at the desk offering a different room to a woman who was evidently not pleased w/ her current room. We demanded another room because it was already 3:40 at this point and the man said "there is nothing else available" and we'd just have to sit tight. No apology...NOTHING. My husband said he wanted to speak w/ the manager because after overhearing the other woman getting a choice of room, there was clearly another room available. If I pay for a hotel room from 3pm until noon the next day, I expect it to be ready. If it is not, another room should be offered. We basically argued w/ the man until finally around 3:50 they gave us another room. The room was very nice, but we had NO TIME to relax and just barely made my 5pm dinner reservation. My husband had to skip his shower altogether. The hotel was very pretty, but the large amount of dust on the floor in the lobby was overwhelming.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear pinapopper,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. On behalf of the entire Empire team, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced when you first arrived at the Hotel. Please be assured I have shared your posting with our Executive Team to address within their respective Departments. I do hope to have the opportinity to welcome you back to the Empire the next time you are in NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any future assistance.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Great place. The valet, bellhop, front desk, housekeeper, bartender, restaurant madre d, all made for a really great experience. Our junior suite was really beautiful, most comfortable bedding, convenient tv that angled in all directions off of the wall, the snacks and drinks weren't overly expensive and the system didnt charge you for just picking up an item like some modern amenity trays and refrigerators. The only down side in the room was that the shower was not that much pressure and the half-shower door lets water out. Lobby could use some new fabric on the furniture, glass doors into the lobby are very heavy, rooftop bar smells, has sticky floors, way too crowded, waitress was very rude.

Room Tip: Hotel for NYC was unbelievably inexpensive, get upgraded!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Joefrombrooklyn,

As a fellow "Brooklynite" I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sharing your insights with our Executive Team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Cool hotel, incredible location across the street from Lincoln Center. Do not get an inside room-it overlooks an airshaft. We were upgraded to a suite by the manager.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear SassySandi049,

As the Assistant General Manager, I am so pleased to heary ou enjoyed your most recent stay with us at the Empire Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!