“Misses on almost every mark.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #320 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Cleveland, Ohio
“Misses on almost every mark.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This hotel has only three things going for it…location (right next to Lincoln Center and close to Central Park), good beds, and it appears to be fairly clean. We just returned from a four night stay in late November 2011.

We stayed in a ‘Deluxe Room’ paying approx. $540 a night…hardly a cheap room, even for NYC.

There was just too much wrong with the room to be satisfied with the Hotel. There are hotels that disappoint and hotels that simply leave a foul taste in one's mouth...this one is the latter.

The bathrooms are small, about 7’x7’ with the walk-in shower only half glassed so that when taking a shower it was virtually impossible to not flood the floor with a significant amount of water. The bathrooms had virtually no counter space due to a foo-foo stand-alone sink where you could barely get your hands under the faucet to wash them. Other than that, there were 3 very small shelves, maybe 4-5” deep to store items.

The room, as stated in other reviews, was extremely small which creates a variety of problems. There are actually NO DRAWERS TO STORE UNPACKED CLOTHES IN so we basically lived out of our suitcases. There is also an extraordinary small amount of space to hang clothes in…maybe 3 feet wide and I could not actually hang a men’s sport coat without it bunching on the bottom shelf as the space is shared with a refrigerator and a small safe.
We were on the third floor which had an extraordinary amount of road noise…and yes, NYC never does sleep. Even worse was the lack of soundproofing in the hallway and the room doors. As people returned to their rooms in the wee hours of the morning, you could very clearly hear conversations and doors banging shut throughout the night - total misery from a sound level perspective. While we made our reservations two months in advance, we were told that room floors were not guaranteed, but also that we did not want to be too close to the roof as there is a nightclub on the top floor with music and frivolity going on until 2-3 in the morning.

Honestly, the three times I was at the front desk doing business – oh yeah, and they charge for internet access! – there were several people who appeared to be very upset over room issues ranging from quality to the cost of supplemental charges. I heard all three directly state to the front desk that that they would never be returning to the hotel - I don't know what their specific complaints were, but the desk staff did not seem to bat an eye.

Run far and fast from this overpriced - and based on most of the reviews – extraordinarily overrated hotel. Given the choice of going to NYC and staying at the Empire or staying home, home would win every time…and I live in Cleveland Ohio!

As my wife stated...."I've stayed in a Hampton Inn for $125 that was nicer than this."

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear OhioTGN,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the Assistant General Manager of the Hotel, I am sincerely disappointed to hear of your challenges with your room. I apologize that the space did not meet your expectations. I would like the opportunity to welcome you back as my guest in the future so that you may experience an alternate room type that I am confident will meet your travelling needs. Please contact me directly at the Hotel to discuss further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights 25th-30th October 2011. Upon checking in, we were given the card to our room. When we got to our non-smoking room, it smelt like somebody had just put out a cigar in there, the air-con units were outside the window and really noisey and the room was tiny. You had to walk into the bathroom, half close the door, struggle through the gap and then fully close the door (this is from a size 8 woman!). I immediately called the front desk with my complaints, was told the hotel was fully booked that night but to leave our bags packed and we would be moved tomorrow, and that we had only paid for this type of room! Upon returning to the hotel the following evening, we checked with the front desk where we had been moved to, to be told we had not been moved and the person that had taken my call did not leave any notes as to why we requested a move! When we eventually got to our new room it was bigger and slightly quieter. During our stay a parcel had been delivered for us without our knowledge. At no point during our stay were we made aware of this, infact the first we heard was when we arrived back in England! At this stage we contacted the hotel, who arranged shipping using the credit card details we had to leave with the hotel when we checked in. When the credit card bill arrived, we had been charged £56 for the shipping, for a t-shirt!! I contacted the hotel asking for themn to reimburse the costs, but was told that they did put a note under our door (they did not, or we would have collected it!) so they would not pay the costs. All of this aside, the hotel is a great location for the price, and has been 'tarted up' but not to a great standard. Would I stay here again? No!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Dionne C,

Thank you for providing me with your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your most recent stay with us and would appreciate the opportunity to discus your stay in greater detail. Please contact me directly at the Hotel so I can review what transpired so I may adress accordingly. I look forward to hearing from you.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Just came back from a fantastic trip with my daughter and my niece. A big of the fantastic part is definitly the hotel. The only negative thing that I agree with other guests is that the rooms are quite small, but how much time do you spend in the room when you are in manhattan?!? The sleeping quality is excellent and that's more important! When we needed something from the housekeeper or the concierge we got it right away. The bathroom is ok, could be much better if you could close when taking a shower, instead of having water splashing out. If I go back to N Y, I will definitly choose this hotel again. The location is perfect, close to shopping, starbucks, central park........and many other things.
I want to thank Zuli for a friendly and superservice, for all the information and suggestions we needed during our stay!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Teodoraliliandiana,

As the Assistant General Manager at the Empire Hotel, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I look forward to sharing your amazing feedback with Zuli. Hope to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future!

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I'm now on my last night staying at the Empire hotel - and I have to say - it's great!

There are a few bits and pieces that you'd want fixed (e.g. the doors don't close properly on their own, so it's happened a few times that the employees have knocked and asked if it was left open by mistake - awesome service though!), but it's overall a great place to stay in New York! Location is amazing - and for the price - awesome!

Kudos to Zuli for help with great breakfast!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear AthlasF,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I spent 3 nights in the posh, boutique Empire Hotel with my friend last week. The rooms are quite small for US standards, but we managed. The bathroom is extremely small and the shower has a stationary glass that goes half way across, but nothing to keep the water from splashing out. I didn't realize how wet the floor was. There is a wall shelf, but no counter space at all.

It is across the street from the Lincoln Center, about 2 blocks away from Central Park, Starbucks next door.... My friend had a class all day, so I spent my day walking around the city. It was a beautiful "chamber of commerce", not a cloud in the sky day! I loved seeing the families in the parks with their children, the carriage rides thru the park, seeing the Rockefeller Christmas tree going up, Times Square, etc. We spent so much time outside the hotel, that we didn't have time to enjoy the bars or restaurants, but I can tell you that there was a line around the block to get into the nightclub when I arrived from the airport late at night. The property is beautiful, clean, and the staff were very helpful. It is several blocks north of Times Square, but the subway and taxis are easily accessible.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view, but it was very quiet to be in the city.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear ChickPosseeGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoy your stay with us and have an opportunity to enjoy all NYC has to offer! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Templeton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

After reading a number of negative reviews, we were apprehensive about staying here, booked as a result of our Priceline bid. Much to our delight, this is a wonderful hotel. The staff is helpful and friendly. The room had great beds and was as big as we needed. The only negative was the shower, which is an open design and somewhat unusual. It took a while to figure out how to get hot water, but their engineer staff explained it and it works fine. Other than that we would definitely recommend the Empire. The food at Ed's Chowder House was excellent, and the location across from Lincoln Center can't be beat. Don'[t believe everything you read in these reviews. People love to complain, but we had nothing but a wonderful stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade fpr a larger room than standard. Well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear countydufus,

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Empire Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

What impressed me the most was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. The Concierge was a treasure, so helpful, also the receptionists we met and Rose in the Chowder House was delightful. Ok our room was small especially the en-suite( you couldn't have got in it if you had been a large person) but the cleanliness was good, and the bed very comfortable. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Lizcurrier,

On behalf of the entire Empire Team, we wold like to thank you for posting such a complimentary review of your recent stay with us. Our staff strives to provide the highest levels of service and I couldn't be happier to hear that they made your stay so enjoyable! I look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Happy Holidays!

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!