“Would not recommend to anyone - stay clear!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #320 of 464 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Would not recommend to anyone - stay clear!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed at the Empire Hotel last week for one night during a quick trip to NYC to go bridal gown shopping. Since I was hitting the big boutiques and department stores along Madison and Fifth Avenues, it was important for me to be relatively close to that area. I booked the Empire Hotel because it was available last minute (literally, booked the room the day before I arrived) and under $300/night. Now I understand why it was still available the day before.

There were many issues with my stay at the Empire. I had relatively high expectations given the hotel's popularity with the media, but also because my close friend had chosen the Empire as the hotel of choice for her NYC wedding a few years ago. The room I was given was about the size of a cinder block, and had absolutely no view at all. The window looked straight into another room on the opposite end of the hallway, which was awkward. Needless to say, the drapes remained closed the entire time.

The bathroom is TINY - no bathtub, just a shower stall, which oddly enough, has no door. L'Occitane toiletries were a nice touch, but I would have appreciated more if the bathroom had been clean. I found a few hairs on the sink upon arrival. Gross.

My fiancé was on a work trip to Chicago at the same time I was in NYC. He tried to call me in my hotel room five times, and four of those times, the front desk of the hotel did not pick up the phone. The other time, they directed him to the wrong room. (Unfortunately, a friend misplaced my iPhone charger, so my cell was turned off to conserve battery.). Incompetence, anyone?

Lastly, I requested a morning wake up call that went ignored. I received no such call at any point during the morning, and I was frustrated by the hotel staff's negligence of its guests.

I would never recommend the Empire to a friend (or anyone, really). I will go out of my way to make sure my friends do not stay here - EVER. This was my worst hotel stay in recent memory.

• Stayed September 2011
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Dear bostongal19,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As General Manager, I would like to apologize for the challenegs you experienced. Please be assured I will share your posting with our Executive Team to address within their respective Departments. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Empire in the near future as your experience is certainly not representative of the levels of service and comfort we strive to provide all our guests.

David McManus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel is old and small, but very nicely decorated. The lounge is wonderful. There are a lack of tables in the room so if you need to do work and lay out papers it is a bit annoying. The room lighting is also poor (ie: a corner of the room I was in basically had no lights near it). Their Internet payment system is horrible, it is slow and crashes. It processed my payment and then basically crashed so I never got an access code. Luckily the front desk staff were nice enough to give me their lobby password so I had free Internet the entire time I was there. The rooftop bar closes too early (10pm).

Other than that the hotel itself was very comfortable, especially the bed. The washroom is very nice, but the design is a bit awkward and impractical. The hotel is also very quiet, which is good if you do not like being disturbed. The hotel's restaurant - Ed's Chowder House is a very nice restaurant, but a bit pricey. Overall this is a fun hotel to stay at. Location is also wonderful as it is very close to Central Park.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing inwards since there are other towers and you will not have a view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear vtsao,

As General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you bakc the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

David McManus
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Everyone in the hotel was so helpful especially the front desk, especially Zuli and Miriam, and the bell men . Kind and curtious. We were traveling with 2 handicap children which is a challenge in New York and everyone from the hotel made it easier for us to get around. The bellmen had the appropriate cabs waiting for us. Zuli and Miriam made sure at the front desk that they got us into accessible rooms. The concierge helped us with dinner reservations and show tickets. We travel a lot and have not been this fortunate to have such great and attentive service. Thank you Empire!

Room Tip: definitely upgrade because the regular rooms are very small
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
southern new england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Left new york 8 years ago when we had kids but return with kids (now 7, 5) once a year to see sports, friends and go to museums. Empire is in excellent location due to proximity to subway hub at columbus circle/59th street, being on family friendly upper west side, near central park. etc. Starbucks in first floor of building. Very nice hotel but not stuffy- they make everyone feel comfortable. Room was upgraded for no apparent reason other than that we had stayed there before. Special kicker in this hotel is rooftop pool (outside) with bar and lounge chairs-great view. The pool is really small but the kids love to splash around after we have tortured them doing grownup things all day. Manager? named Romeo very helpful as was all the staff. There is a "club" on one of the top floors which can be a bit noisy if your room is near it but separate elevator and overall barely noticeable inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

When we arrived there the welcome was so brilliant. when we went up to our room it was so spacious and the bed was so comfortable. The facilites were so great. would definetely recommened it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hanover, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We only needed to stay for one night for a friend's rooftop party...when we arrived we were told the hotel was at 100% capacity and we were being moved up to a Junior Suite! I have never seen a NYC hotel room with so much space! Dinner across the street at the Atlantic Grill was wonderful and the late night drinks on the Empire's Rooftop bar provided a spectacular view... Would definatelt recommend!!

• Stayed September 2011
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Had read other reviews and was a bit nervous but I have nothing but positive things to report regarding my stay at the Empire. Hotel has a great "vibe", is in a great location, and the staff was courteous, efficient and helpful. We'll be back again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Dear Courtney 808,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!