“Great air-conditioning during the heat wave!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #320 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great air-conditioning during the heat wave!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

The air-conditioning was great during the record-breaking heat wave and our room was quiet, cool and clean...perfect for recovering after a long day in the city. We didn't spend much time there, but the housekeeping and doormen were efficient and thorough. Right across the street from the Lincoln Center and Central Park. No in-room coffee service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the inside of the building to avoid street noise...I didn't hear a thi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear JimTownGal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our air conditioning exceeded your expectations and that you got thru our most recent heat wave!! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I chose the Empire Hotel for my 30th Birthday Celebrations. Unfortunately on arrival, the room was not what I had been assured by my travel agent. Instead of a double with 2 beds, I had a very small room with one bed, and no A/C. And considering the weather (28 degrees) it made our first night very uncomfortable indeed. On speaking to reception, they said there was nothing they could do that night, but I would have to pay for an upgrade the following day. The second room was far more comfortable with A/C. The hotel itself was lovely, roof top pool is significantly smaller that it is made to look in the pictures, but was pleasant. The roof top bar was nice, but you cannot get in, despite being a resident unless you start queueing significantly early. And it wasn't really worth the wait. All in all, an excellent location, very fashionable hotel. Just a shame the smaller rooms dont have AC. And considering it was a special occasion, there was no consideration given. Slightly disappointing. Would stay again thought due to location.

Room Tip: Small rooms do not have AC so definitely check before you go!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I live in the neighborhood and needed to have some work done on my apt, so figured i would stay nearby ..It was really a great chice. Room was super cool and new and current. It was 100 degrees out and the pool was perfect. The rooftop bar was too hot at night, so the lobby bar was my choice. It was fun, active, not crazy but a great scene. The service was as good as a hotel that charges 3 x as much!
The only complaint is poor service at breakfast restauarant. They need to get that together. Alot of people standing around and running around, but no one could seem to get any one a cup of coffe til the 3rd request...

Room Tip: I didnt ask, but got an upgrade and it was adorable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I checked in on June 26, 2011 and was not satisfied with my room. I was promised a different room the next day. However, the staff was not made aware of the requested change. Therefore, I spent yet another night in a room that was not to my satisfaction as I would be there for 14 days. I spoke with the assistant manager on the following day, she promised me a new room. Upon my return to the hotel from school, not only did she honor her commitment but the bell staff had already moved all of my items and left them in the same way in my new room as they found them in my vacated room. Needless to say, my stay turned out to be the best ever in New York City. I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to the manager whose name escapes me now, the staff and especially my favorite bartender whom I secured a glass of ice from every evening, he talked with me and handed over my glasses and/or bucket with a smile every single day of my stay; Miriam and Veronica especially for their hospitality, smiles, consideration of my needs and warmth. Their attempts to make my stay wonderful were successful. As for the bell staff, they were awesome as well (always willing to help and provide a bit of cheer and conversation for one such as I who loves to talk. Zuli checked me in the first night and listened to my concerns about my room. She offered me yet another room. Romeo, met me with a smile each time I passed the counter and stopped to ask him a question, request a key and/or directions. I absolutely loved my stay at The Empire Hotel in New York City from June 26 through July 10, 2011. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Several of my staff members (teachers) were residents as well. From all indications, they were pleased as well. We will be back next June, July and/or August.

Room Tip: Make everyone whom you speak from the travel agent to reservationist aware of your needs and do so i...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I've stayed at the Empire at least 30 nights over the past 2-1/2 years, primarily on business. And I'll stay there again.
PROS:
--location, location, location (perfect for Upper West Side/Midtown West--across from Lincoln Center)
--many great restaurants within a few minute walk
--bigger rooms can be very comfy
--price relative to other nearby hotels is (usually) very affordable

CONS:
--not really a business-oriented hotel; caters more to the tourist (i.e., non-repeater) crowd
--check-in experience can be extraordinarily frustrating (read: takes too long, even for repeat visitors)
--staff isn't generally the warmest I've ever received--particularly the front door
--can be a little overwhelming when there's an event or Fri/Sat nights when the club upstairs is crowded--it's annoying to have to weave through lines of scantily-clad 20-somethings (or wannabes) just to get into the hotel you're paying $300/night for
--I have experienced the problems others have mentioned (a/c not working or too loud; missing towels and bathroom amenities; rooms not completely cleaned)--what's annoying is how consistent they aren't.

I'll likely stay at this hotel again because of the location, and the price vs. other nearby hotels. (And no matter how small the rooms are, they're still bigger and more functional than the ones at the nearby Hudson!)

Room Tip: stay in a middle floor--away from the lobby and rooftop club crowds
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Aside from a great hotel, kudos to your customer service team. Mariana M.was fantastic. She greeted us when we checked in and made sure that we had a great stay. The hotel needs a team of Marianas!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Carlos1931,

Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that our service levels exceeded your expectations. We have to agree that Marianna is a true asset to our Team and we are lucky to have her! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Warm regards,

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have never reviewed a hotel before but felt strongly about our stay here, We are a family of 5 who were visiting New York for 7 nights, I wanted to book a hotel that had a pool so that the children could relax after a day's sightseeing-what a mistake choosing the Empire! The 'pool' consists of a tiny plunge pool that you can't swim in ,just dip in and out,3 people in it would be too many! I think it's very misleading to say they have a pool deck,if not false advertising. What they have is a very trendy,very expensive,cocktail bar on the roof where children are not welcome. The rooms are tiny,bathrooms even tinier...trying to think of some positives,location is great,beds comfy,wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear laura0709,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Empire Hotel. I am sorry to hear that our pool did not meet your expectations. Our website does state that our pool deck includes a plunge pool for our guests to enjoy during thier stay. It is a rare amenity that we are happy to be able to provide to our guests especially during weeks like this! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and that your family found the beds to be comfortable. I do hope you will consider returning to the Empire in the future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I may be of any assistance.

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!