““If you do not spend any time in your room, then the hotel is perfect!”” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Empire Hotel

Save Saved
You added Empire Hotel to your Saves list
Empire Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West 63rd Street, New York City, NY 10023 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #304 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Fountain Hills, Arizona
““If you do not spend any time in your room, then the hotel is perfect!””
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you are going to NYC with the intentions of never being in your room, then this is the place for you. The location is fabulous. 2 steps from Lincoln Center, and also a subway stop, 2 minutes to Central Park and a 10 minute walk to Time Square. This hotel is very conveniently located. Of course, in NYC, everything is about location. The hotel lobby is great, the bar/lobby is fantastic and the rooftop bar and pool are amazing! The views are awesome and the drinks are great. The rooms are a bit of a disappointment. Make sure you know which room you are booking ahead of time. The firstroom we were given was the size of a closet. You can not walk in to the room with your luggage in your hand at the same time because there is no room for both you and the luggage. There is no room to even shut the door without climbing on the bed to shut it. We talked to the front desk because we had booked a 'standard' queen and they gave us the smaller version. They then gave us the room we booked and the view of all the standard rooms is of duct work, garbage and the heating/cooling system. The room is small with no place to store any luggage, but you can at least shut the door. The air was not working in the room and it was 90 degrees outside with 100% humidity. Being from Arizona, I can stand heat...mixed with the humidity and no working A/C, it was a bit hot. Just beware of what room you are booking before you arrive! We were never in the room. The location made up for the room.

Room Tip: Confirm the room type you are booking!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear AZGina,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced with your room, and please be assured I have shared your concerns with our Executive team to address accordingly. I do hope you will consider returning to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at the Hotel if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I had read some Trip Advisor reviews prior to my trip, and was concerned by some of the negative reviews. We touched base with the Hotel Manager and I have to say, the response from hotel management was outstanding. We were warmly welcomed upon arrival, there were no issues with our room upon checking in. Once we got to our room, we received a call within minutes from the hotel to ensure everything in the room was in order. The room was clean, a great size for a NYC hotel, and the location is outstanding - right across the street from the Lincoln Center, 2 blocks from Central Park, and just south of a great little neighborhood full of boutiques and restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definately return; however, HIGHLY recommend booking a Junior Suite to make the most of your visit - these rooms are very nicely appointed with a great sized bathroom and a very comfortable king sized bed. We were on our first wedding anniversary and management really made this stay memorable for us - thank you to Jennifer, David and staff.

Note: This is a trendy boutique hotel, with lots of "comings and goings" of young people, and line-ups to get into the hotel's roof top bar. If this is your 'scene", this is the perfect hotel for you!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Empiregmanager, General Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
Dear cyntremb,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. As the General Manager, I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. On behalf of Jennifer and myself, we really appreciated you reaching out to us in advance of your reservation to express your concerns and are thrilled to see your five star review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire the next time your travels bring you to NYC. Please dont hesitate to let us know the next time you will be visiting us!

Warm regards,

David McManus
Martinsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Hotel room was clean and a very comfortable bed. It was a small room with a very small bathroom. The closet was a joke. The view was an ally. I loved the the whole atmosphere of the hotel. In front there is a little park with tables directly across the street from Lincoln Center. Whole foods a few blocks away at Columbus Circle. I felt very safe. I would stay again but with a larger room and one with an actual view.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear dplnj,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Empire Hotel. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Assistant General Manager
ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I go to NYC a lot and this was my first time at this particular hotel. My experience at the Empire Hotel was not an over all bad one, however it could have been a lot better. It was enough of an experience that I will not be back.

My friend made the reservations for a double room for two nights. She had printed the confirmation and brought it with her. When we had arrived the staff was terribly unhelpful and didn't even have our reservations in the system. They "made room for us" and gave us an extremely small room with one bed. No one had apologized to us for what appeared to be a mistake.

By the time we had got up to the room, we were fine. I mean, how long are you going to spend in a hotel room in NYC anyway? We could get through two nights of sharing a bed. However, during our stay there our room wasn't cleaned by housekeeping. When we asked for more towels we felt like we were inconveniencing the staff. We waited almost two hours to get an ironing board. When we called the front desk we got an attitude from who ever was in the front telling us if we didn't like the service in the hotel we could always go somewhere else, however since all of the rooms in the city were booked we wouldn't be able to get a room. Again, i was a little disappointed with the customer service.

On the last morning of our stay I had left early to go for a walk while my friend was meeting someone for breakfast. While on my walk,I had lost my wallet with my my credit card, cash and room key in it. I was upset. I called my friend to tell her I couldn't get up to our room.and she called the front desk and told them I had lost my wallet and I didn't have my identification or my room key but I was on the reservation list. When I made it back to the hotel the woman at the front desk had me in tears. I was all ready upset because of my missing wallet, but she treated me like I was inconveniencing her to ask her to get into my room. She made a big deal that she had to get security and I would have to identify everything in the room to them before we could get upstairs. She went on and on and made me feel like I was a criminal. I totally understand the process and they can't and shouldn't let just anyone walk into a room, but she could have been nicer and had some customer service skills. She had nothing. I was crying in the elevator with the security guard and he was extremely nice and asked me to name one thing in my room, which I did and he let me go in.

My favorite incident would have been when we got a phone call from the front desk at midnight saying we weren't supposed to be in the room and we needed to leave. My friend spoke to them and things we thought were straightened out. About an hour later the manager of the hotel came up and asked what we were doing there and my friend had to explain things all over again. Perhaps people skills and communication and organization is something this hotel needs to work on.

I guess it was the little things that added up on this trip that make me never want to stay here again or recommend it to others. i know everyone has a different experiences, however this was mine. First impressions stick.

As one who tries to remain upbeat and positive, I do have to say that the hotel is extremely clean. The bellhops were extremely nice and polite as well as the security.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Imw8880,

As the Assistant General Manager of the Empire Hotel, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while a guest at our Hotel. I do appreciate you bringing your experience to uor attention, as I will be sharing your feedback with our Executive Team to address accordingly. I was pleased to read that our Room Cleanliness and service levels of our Security Team exceeded your expectations. I do hope you will reconsider returning to the Empire in the future, as I know we can do a better job of ensuring your stay is seamless. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

SIncerely,

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

My daugher and I were on a last returning trip to NYC as she was 4 and a half months pregnant. I called the day before ahead to notify we would be arriving after 10:pm, and to ensure again there would be separate beds in our room. When we arrived at 11:30pm we were informed our room was not available. They gave us " all that was left" which was a single room with a VERY VERY BAD pull out sofa, only in the room. When we went down to ask how they expect us to sleep on this broken down sofabed they said that is all they had. My daughter slept on the floor, after they gave one extra blanket and pillow. It was very cold and uncomfortable.
Also they have a very popular roof top pool and when you try to get into your hotel in the evening the doorway is completely blocked. They have bouncers that just stand there and look at you, instead of directing traffic so you can get in.
I have been to NYC many time and would NEVER go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't bother they don't care!
  • Stayed June 2011
Milan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights on business in May 2011. The first night I arrived late and jet lagged so just had dinner in the rooftop bar. The food was a bit overdone on the design and not amazing while the cost was too high for what you get. Same story with the cocktails. But the design and atmosphere of the rooftop bar were cool. The downstairs lounge/bar was beautifully designed and the drinks were good that time (this time I chose a good wine rather than a cocktail). There were many people coming and going to the bar which gave the hotel a very "happening" vibe. The rooms were good, but simple and small. I had everything I needed but the temperature was a bit hard to manage. The bed was wonderful though. All in all it was a good hotel and I would be happy to stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Dear terrberr78,

Thank you for posting your feedback of the Empire Hotel on TripAdvisor. As the Assistant General Manager, I am happy to hear you enjoyed yoru stay with us and had an opportunity to enjoy our Rooftop Lounge and Lobby Bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empire in the near future!

Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Gorgeous room, very, very comfortable bed and lovely view (my room looked out to Lincoln Center, I could see the Metropolitan Opera House from my window!).

I have stayed in plenty of hotels in NYC and the Empire is by far one of the nicest I have experienced. The restaurant is not bad either. Friendly staff at both the front desk and the restaurant. Only 4 stars for the rest. review because they didn't have many vegetarian options. FYI, if you like Starbuck's, there is one right next to the hotel.

Just two little things: the bathroom was a tad small (not a big deal, it is NYC after all) and had that single paned glass shower door which can make for a mess in the bathroom, 2) the internet connection in the business center was so slow that I could not access my email at all. You also have to pay for the internet use at the Business Center (a Kinko's-like set-up). These two points are really nothing in the grand scheme of things though.

One last thing: I booked and paid for my room through Priceline.com. When I went to check out the front desk had mistakenly charged me for the room. It took them no time at all to fix the problem and credit my room back to my Visa.

Room Tip: I purchased my room through Priceline.com.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
EmpireManagement, Manager at Empire Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear PJinNJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the entire Empire Team, I would like to thank you for your star rating! We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Been to Empire Hotel? Share your experiences!