“The best Peruvian food in the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pio Pio

Pio Pio
702 Amsterdam Avenue, New York City, NY 10128-5212 (Manhattan)
212-665-3000
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
New York City, New York
“The best Peruvian food in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Pio Pio has by far the best Peruvian food in the city. Besides that, the ambiance is fabulous. Candlelit restaurant with amazingly kind servers - it's definitely out of the norm for NYC. Their menu boasts of seafood and the typical rotisserie chicken, beans and rice. I always stick to their seafood because it is always fresh and amazing. I had their striped sea bass with a mango chutney last time I was there and it was heaven! I would strongly recommend reservations, otherwise you will be waiting for quite a long time. A fun place to go for a group date, too! Check it out - you won't be disappointed - and make sure you try their desserts!

• Visited August 2012

New York
“Very good Peruvian Food- Front desk staff need to adjust attitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had reservations with with my work friends/colleagues at the Hell's Kitchen location before a broadway show. We were running late. We had trouble finding parking. When we called to let them know, the girl at the front desk was not very friendly. She said simply, "We have you as a no-show." Now mind you, our reservation was for 4:30 p.m. One of my friends got nervous that they would not seat us. I was thinking, "Give me a break. I have NEVER known a Manhattan restaurant to be PACKED before 6:30p.m." Of course, when we arrived we waited for a few minutes at the bar, and then they were able to accommodate us.

Once we sat down, the service was very good. We ordered a "mixed ceviche" and a "fried mashed potatoes" appetizer. For dinner, we shared several entrees, including "Lomo Saltado" and the "Matador Combo." All the food was great, and the sangria too. We told our waiter that we had to make a 7:00p.m show, and he was very accommodating. I would have liked to try a dessert, but we didn't have time. All in all, I really enjoyed this restaurant. The only negatives are the girls at the front desk that definitely need an attitude adjustment!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Markham, Canada
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the best meals I've ever eaten. From the ceviche, the tamales, to the chicken, to the tres leches dessert, every bite was fantastic. The food is very fresh, and the chili sauce is superb. Considering the location, you're not going to get a much better value in Manhattan. Great ambience. It makes you feel that you're not in a basement, with high ceilings, and floor to ceiling wooden walls.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Fantastic food and fun experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a great restaurant. The food is amazing and the ambiance is also fun. My favorite place to eat in the city.

Visited December 2012
Scarsdale, New York
“EXCELLENT PERUVIAN FOOD AND REASONABLE TOO!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Last night we had dinner at Pio Pio for the first time on the recommendations of our friends who joined us, They recommended the Empanadas de Pollo for appetizers. These are stuffed with chicken and very tasty. We then shared two orders of the Peruvian Combo. Each plate has a whole "Mama Juanita's Rotisserie Chicken". While it comes with french fries and avocado salad, we asked for rice and beans instead. We also ordered two " Ensalada de Avocado", salads with avocado, fresh lettuce and vegetables. While the restaurant was very crowded and noisy, the ambiance was friendly and comfortable. The service was exceptionally fast and the food was out of this world delicious! We were tempted to ask for Mama's chicken recipe but we will be content to just come back soon and order it again!

• Visited December 2012