“911 Memorial New York” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
VIP Tour
$109*
and up
Viator VIP: Empire State Building, Statue of...
Ranked #6 of 633 Attractions in New York City
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: The National September 11 Memorial Museum at the World Trade Center bears solemn witness to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 and February 26, 1993. The Museum honors the nearly 3,000 victims of these attacks and all those who risked their lives to save others. It further recognizes the thousands who survived and those who acted with extraordinary compassion in the aftermath. Demonstrating the consequences of terrorism on individual lives and its impact on communities at the local, national, and international levels, the Museum attests to the triumph of human dignity over human depravity and affirms an unwavering commitment to the fundamental value of human life.
Haverhill, Massachusetts
78 attraction reviews
“911 Memorial New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was bitter sweet. With the reflective pools, statues, trees and beautiful walk ways. Loved it/. We will never forget

Visited September 2013

New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“Very Emotional Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

It took me until June 2014 to visit. As a native New Yorker who was in NYC and saw the terrorist attacks it was not a place I wanted to go to. But a friend from Texas was here for a few days and asked me if I could show him around, and he wanted to see the 9/11 Memorial. He enjoyed it very much as a site to honor the victims and first responders. I thought the site was tasteful and a proper setting although some construction is still ongoing. Worth it and I only wish that visitors would keep in mind that this is a place to remember the fallen, not a place for laughing and playing around.

Visited June 2014
103 attraction reviews
“Very moving and tastefully done.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We came here in June, and I think the museum had only recently opened. We had not pre booked tickets but went quite late in the day and there wasn't much of a line up. Unfortunately, it meant we only had about 90 mins so had to be mindful of time, which is not something you want to worry about when you're visiting such a place. Honestly it was humbling. A very emotional and overwhelming experience, but like I said it is very tastefully done, respectful and very moving. It is actually underground, you can see some of the original tower. There are a couple of sections. One is the 'In Memoriam' which has pictures and information about all the victims, even video presentations on each one. I couldn't watch those though as I'd started crying. There is another main section (no photography allowed) which has news stories, tv reports, actual audio from the United 93 flights, and physical evidence of the tragedy of that day. This is a really hard area to take in as it's so emotional, but it is very well presented, and I felt that it gave it a really personal touch. But I really struggled to hold it together by this point. Walking out, I was so glad that we had experienced this amazing museum, but the feelings of sadness will stay with you after you leave.

Visited June 2014
Lawrenceburg, Ky.
“Respectful, well-executed tribute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

The 9/11 Museum memorializes the lives that were lost and tells the story of the attack in a tasteful and reverent manner. Our tour guide gave richly detailed descriptions of the major artifacts and the events of Sept. 11 and the days that followed. She set just the right tone for an experience that could have been emotionally overwhelming. The museum houses an amazing array of articles that tell the stories of some of the individuals involved as well as the attack writ large. The 9/11 Museum is a must-see for anyone who wants to better understand the attack, pay their respects, and teach a new generation that didn't experience that day.

Visited July 2014
Medina, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
“It made me feel like it happened a week ago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were in New York, so we felt like we had to go any see this. I was hoping that they would have done a great job with this museum and I feel like they hit a home run! Yes, you can visit the actual outdoor memorial for free, but the museum is just something you HAVE to include in you visit here.

My only small complaint is that the area where most of the artifacts are stored could have had larger tv screens and a lot more room to spread out. That area felt a bit cramped. But, make no mistake, this whole museum is something you have to see!