“I loooooooove the candy hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Hostel

You added Candy Hostel to your Saves list
Candy Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   316 West 95th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
california
“I loooooooove the candy hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My first experience was in 2007 at first I said wow this room is very tiny.. but the price was so cheap what can you say.. After the first night I got use to it and it was only me..If possibe I do recommend bringing a blanket. There covers are very thin. I dont know what the othe reviewers were talking about I never experienced any bed bugs and I have been there 3 times and will be back next month October 2009.. Also there is no other place in Manhattan this cheap.. The Candy Hostel is close to all the clubs, restaurants, bars, broadway and subways.. My only problem was they only had one iron and you had to give a deposit.. Other than that the restrooms were always clean and I never had to wait to use the restroom.. I always had acess to towels and face cloths.. I look at it like this why spend close to a $1000 dollars for a week stay and you can stay at the Candy for about $400 including tax. The rest can be use for shopping , site seeing, partying, taxi's..etc.. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Breda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

The people at Candy Hostel were very friendly, we printed our reservation of hostelworld.com so we could prove that we had booked but we didn't need to take it out of our bags.
They asked if we wanted a room with bunk instead of just a 2 persons bed (i was traveling with a friend of mine) i thought that was very helpfull and nice of them.
The rooms were clean (but small) they had fresh sheets en clean towels (every day clean ones!).
The bathrooms were cleaned every day.
They have a large lounge in another building with a pingpong table, microwave and a tv room where they have movie nights. Another big + for me was that they had free wifi on every floor!
Its 10-15 min to a subway station and about 30 min to Central Park.
If you're going to New York to do a lot and the only thing you want to do at your hostel is sleep you'll have a great place to sleep over there!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

I loved it- and i hated it. We were two friends and we booked the cheapest option (4/6 beds?), but we got our own room. Great, cause then we could keep our stuff there at all times. It was a bunkbed- a good one. 3?4? bathrooms on each floor, 12? rooms on each floor. Im not sure, but there was never a line and i was clean!
The staff was exeptionally rude! theres no wifi in the rooms as they say, but it is in the lobby. A small tv-room, with a fridge thats not working. No stowe or anything. 4 computers in the lobby, along with a vending machine.
The location isnt the best, but its a 5-7 minute walk to the subway, 96th street! in NY youre never really far away anyways. Duane reade up the hill, and lots of restaurants and cafees. Most people there were french, some dutch and a couple of americans. Mostly young people, but we met several people that were 40+
We sat outside at 11pm and cops came said they had gotten complaints from neighbours. We were talking, not even laughing loudly. they chased us inside and said they would lock us up if we went outside again!
Id probably go back, cause ive heard so many horror stories, so i would settle for "ok" rather than risking it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I arrived late at night and were directed to a building next door (which was not the Candy hostel we had booked). The lock on the door was very loose and we did not feel safe. We were really tired so we decided to ask them to move us in the morning. I woke up feeling itchy and immediately knew i had been bitten by bed bugs. We went downstairs and were directed next door back to the main reception. The lady told us she wouldn't swap our room and that we should check out. We had nowhere to stay so we decided to stay another night, not realising how bad bed bugs actually are.

The next day i had even more bites so we went to reception again and it was a different man this time, who happily moved us. We spent the evening washing our clothes hoping to get rid of the bugs. However, the bugs were in all our luggage (which we didn't realise) and we continued to get bitten. Every time we went to reception there was a different person there. We were not ever able to see the manager.

We checked out after 4 days and were told we would get a refund for the other 3 days we had paid for. We have not received any refund to our credit card and the manager has refused to give us our money back when we finally tracked him down on the phone.

We still hadn't gotten rid of the bugs and they came with us to the next place. We felt terrible and told reception straight away so they could deal with it.

We then decided to wash or throw out every single item we had. As you can imagine this is a very expensive ordeal. New luggage, doctor's fees, prescriptions, and finally an expensive but clean hotel. By trying to save money at the Candy hostel we ended up spending way more. A total disaster and i am still having nightmares about the 100 bites my boyfriend and i each had.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the candy hostel for 6 nights and would stay there again in a heartbeat the next time we are in New York. For the price, you can't beat the location and really, if all you need is a place to crash at night, why spend tons of money for a room that you spend 8 hours sleeping in? Yes the room was a bit small - but it had a closet and a tv in it which we weren't expecting - plus like I said, we were only really in the room to sleep. The bathroom was always clean, the staff were helpful, the bed was comfortable (although the linens weren't changed everyday - but I wasn't expecting that they would be). The best thing about the hostel though has to be the location. You are within walking distance (15-20 mins) of Central Park and the subway is 5- 10 minutes away. I would highly reccomend anyone on a budget to stay at this hostel when visiting New York.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Although the rooms are very small and the single elevator is fairly slow, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. For under $100/night in the upper west side, we got a very clean bed and shared bathroom that was spotlessly clean in the morning and fairly clean as the day went on. During our two night stay (Thurs and Fri), it was quiet during the night and morning, no wild parties that we heard. Free internet service in the lobby and $5 lockers in the basement (that fit both of our carryons) for the day we had to check out (since our plane didn't leave til 3pm). Service was fine, although we didn't ask for much, and it was very close to the 1 subway and fairly close to the A line. Good value for the money. I didn't have any problems with either being asked to pay credit card fees or in cash, or being switched to another place. I think this could be because I booked (and paid in advance) through Expedia, and so I would have recourse if they tried the bait and switch thing. Good luck and happy travelling, everyone!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have been to the Candy Hostel three times. The rooms are small but that's okay because you just sleep there anyway. Sometimes the shared bathrooms are dirty but they are cleaned regularly. The staff is friendly and helpful when you have questions.
It's easy to get a taxi near the hostel and the subway is just 3-5 minutes away. You are at the Times Square very quickly.
Sometimes it is a bit noisy during the night because of all the young people staying at this place.

Good Hostel to experience New York City for people without much money!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Candy Hostel? Share your experiences!