“Fine for sleeping and showering but nothing else.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Candy Hostel

Save Saved
You added Candy Hostel to your Saves list
Candy Hostel
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   316 West 95th Street, New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
London, United Kingdom
“Fine for sleeping and showering but nothing else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

The beds and bathrooms are very, very small but clean and we didn't encounter any vermin, but this isn't a hotel to stay in if you want to do anything more than sleep in a bed and wash yourself in the bathroom. For example, it is totally beyond me why anyone would come to NYC and then sit in the grotty TV room. Unless you are an excitable group of teenagers who have never been away from their parents before and the giddy sensation of freedom will make you run up and down the corridors shrieking with delight. There are plenty of those around - expect noise at all hours.

Staff are perfectly helpful and we were not charged for wireless. Decor was miserable and crumbling but you don't pay these prices and expect Versailles. All in all, perfectly acceptable budget hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

From the main site (http://www.candynyc.com/):
Cinema room : disgusting
FREE soap : tiny bar in the bathroom
One block from Subway : actually 2 blocks
Free Subway and Bus maps : ran out
FREE WiFi (wireless internet) : NOT FREE - $8 dollars a day

Not a social hostel. No events during the start of the week. Hot water wasn't working. Bathtub was filthy. Room was damp and smelt. The staff NEVER have change for their own drink/food machines or computers or lockers. Computers cost money to use. Lockers are 5 dollars a day (they won't store luggage for free on your last day). Noisy rooms since the floors make noises when people are wondering through the hallways.

Bed is clean. Closest subway is an express stop on the 1,2,3 line.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

could not find it to begin, reception not helpful rooms tiny not clean, broken locks

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Largo, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

im not sure if they have Bed Bugs because i didn't see any but the receptionist told me they did but they treated them humm idk. i would only recommend this hostel to a party person or someone who just doesn't care. the first couple of nights the heat wasn't working, the guy at the desk told me to check out then i was like your so rude. the bathrooms where actually clean. also they have a lot of strays that come by and hang around it made me very uncomfortable

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My first trip to America and we arrived at the Candy hostel about 10pm at night only to be told we had to walk 5 blocks away to their sister property the chocolat hostel. The staff at the candy hostel were beyond rude and offered no assistance as to which way we even had to walk. we were terrified holding onto our bags hoping we didn't get mugged. Eventually when we did arrive at the chocolat hostel my cousins bed had already been slept in so we asked to be moved to a different room which was just as bad. nothing like you see in the pictures. People we shared a room with had teh same thing happen to them they sell you the candy hostel when you book online with the nice pictures and then send you off to their sister properties when they get busy. This was a rude shock to our holiday in New York and I will not return to this property I will only ever using Hostelling International from now on as they do not brag about their properties or have a great amount of photos but the service and quality are exceptional.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

5 of us stayed for one week in 2 rooms with a shared bathroom.

In all honesty I would say if you are someone who likes their creature comforts in life then don't pick the Candy (pay for something more) but if you just want somewhere to sleep the Candy will do, especially at the price they charge.

The rooms were large enough and while they contained only the beds clean. The heating in the room was good I was never cold although outside it snowed. The bed linen was changed every other day and while was mismatched was clean. Towels all be it small hand towels were provided along with a bar of soap.

The bathroom was near at hand (we did use the other bathrooms on our floor when we all decided to have a shower at the same time without any comlaint from other hostel occupants) and the domestic staff cleaned it daily. I must say having viewed the photo of the toilet on here I think it shows how unclean some people can be rather than how shabby the staff are, people themselves are responsible for making sure things are in the bin and the toilet flushed not hostel staff.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Having locked myself out they came immeadiatley and let me back in. Helped with the internet access ( although on internet says free check booking form says it costs) which was $8 for 24 hours. Help was also given with storage of luggage prior to leaving and they called a taxi to the airport for us which although more expensive than on the way from the irport was still a good price.

The lounge had obvoiusly seen better times but the sofas were comfortable and tv always on.

We were there for 1 week and not one of us recieved any bites from bed bugs although they do seem to be a problem throughout New York at present.

If you want a palace or 5 star hotel pay for it if not pay the Candy price and enjoy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

Hi.

I just stayed at the Candy Hostel last weekend for only one night. It seemed to be ok for an hostel when we came there. I mean nothing special and the only real thing in our room was that bed but it didn't matter because we knew we would only stay for one night. Long story short after 1 day I noticed some itchyness and now I have 50 bed bug bites from only ONE NIGHT! I saw a weird bug on the bed when we were leaving but I had never seen a bed bug before so I didn't think about. Now I know what it was and I just can hope that I didn't bring any bug home with me :(. DON'T GO THERE

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Candy Hostel? Share your experiences!