“This Loft was AWESOME!!!” 5 of 5 stars

The Soho Loft
199 Lafayette Street, New York City, NY 10013 (SoHo)   |
Ranked #425 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Ill
“This Loft was AWESOME!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I stayed at the Soho Loft with 8 of my friends for an engagement party. My stay here was absolutely amazing. Each of my friends and I slept comfortably at night and were able to Party at night! Everything was clean and renovated and I felt right at home. I would highly recommend this space for any type of event!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank thebestguest

AussieAl21
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed at The Soho Loft about a month ago and had a wonderful time! I was traveling with 10 friends and it was between this or a 3 star hotel we found in midtown so we decided to change it up a bit. The loft is in the most amazing part of Manhattan! If you are not familiar with Soho it is the prime location, great food, fashion, nightlife and easy to get everywhere. I would def suggest staying here if you are coming to Manhattan with a group of friends!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

For those of us who know New York City it is quite hard to find a quality place to stay that is in a great location, without spending a fortune! I came across The Soho Loft and booked it for a few of my friends who were coming in from out of town. The loft was extremely affordable, in the best part of the city and really a true New York Experience!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

The worst accommodations I have ever seen. The bedrooms were closets without windows. Incredibly hot and noisy. I slept on a towel rather than in the bed. Bathrooms were in very poor shape. Common area was not even close to as pictured! Little furniture and lots of dirty dishes. This was just BAD BAD BAD!! Never again. I am still shuddering when I think about it. DIRTY! Run down! Poorly appointed! Nothing good to say. Police station across the street was a noise factory. I just cannot believe how bad it all was.

• Liked — Not one thing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2009
11 Thank BostonNoThanks

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Orange County
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Please note that I have not stayed here yet. My experience is based on the pre stay experience I had with this company. My stay was supposed to be Oct 5-11 2008 I booked this Loft because 1st- was in Soho, 2nd the pictures looked good, 3rd the price was good, 4- I was contacted immediately. I never should have done it. They require you prepay on a credit card and sign a "lease." I should have known better by the tone of the emails. Unprofessional, Lacking in tact or intelligently written. The terms of the contract are short. Basically (but vaguely) It says cancelation policy is within outside of 6 weeks prior to the stay a refund of 75% will be given back if re-rented. I didn't think we'd cancel. Well, after reading all of the horrible reviews on Trip Advisor and other sites - I canceled. I immediately emailed the 2 people I dealt with told them about the reviews. One review stated that they actually book private partys in the "commom" space and they can go all night. The guests aren't allowed to be in that space during the party. As well it said, the party guests use the same bathrooms as the overnight guests. Plus, the rooms do not lock. One reviewer even said the day he arrived his bed had been used and sheets were not changed. Gross! This was not the mature, private, clean and comfortable arrangement I wanted. In my cancelation letter I mentioned and asked if there would be parties booked. I recieved confirmation that there could be a party booked. I was contacted not by the original people who took care of me( we'll call them kevin/sales and James/rental agreeme\nt)But by the Director of the Loft. After some correspondence, the Director, we'll call him Leroy, stated that he might have a private apt. I was very much interested in it and wanted details. It would be easier to just change locations instead of cancel. He didn/t get back to me. I had to be the one to initiate all communication each and ever time. Plus it took 3 or 4 emails to get him to answer. He finally, after a week said he found a place. I wanted details. After 3 days, still no details. He kept sending one sentence emails like "don't worry" etc etc. After 4 emails and 3 days of asking, I finally emailed and stated that I wanted the address and details of the place by end of day. He emailed back and said" don't worrry, call me at lunchtime tomorrow" I did what he said - he answered the phone and put me off.. again. He said he was busy and to call him around closing time. I agreed. However after all of the correspondence, unprofessional behavior, abrupt and strange emails, I decided to cancel. His response?: "No problem" I had since sent 2 emails asking the status of my refund. No reply. I have a feeling even if they did re-rent my space - I may not see my money. Very very shady. by the way, this location was found through VacationRentals.com which in itself does not have a good reputation according to reviews. Do yourself a favor, stay at a well known reputable hotel. It's worth it. As of now, I have booked a hotel for the week and will have to shell out another 2000K. The Soho Loft cost 299 per night plus tax.. ugh.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
13 Thank Princessdog9
az
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Beware. The property manager (who lives with you in the space) will change any agreement at anytime. We were promised breakfast every morning which she decided not to do. We were promised that we could leave our bags in the space after check out time because most of our group was leaving in the evening. She decided that would not work for her. We were promised housekeeping, which NEVER occured. She disabled out internet half way throught the stay...Unfortunately, we paid in full, in advance. And she could change the key lock at anytime and lock us out of our space.
Though the space wasn't exactly what was portrayed in the images posted, the space worked just fine for us. It was the horrible woman that runs the loft made us unhappy with the experience.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank meisaak
berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

Small, dark, poorly ventilated rooms; horribly mean and angry loft manager (who lives on premises).

OK, first the (only) good point: the common area is very large spacious, and sort of looks like the pictures on the website. That's where the good stops.

Aside from this common space, the rest of the loft is parceled up into tiny rooms with paper-thin walls; only one of these rooms has windows, and the room with windows has one of them boarded up! The rooms are stuffy, poorly ventilated, and the lack of sufficient light fixtures makes them very dark. The thin walls and non-functional air vents ensure that you can hear everything that anybody else does.

The place itself is poorly kept - each room has a refrigerator, but you have to clear your fridge out of putrifying food before putting your stuff in. The floor is never mopped - walking barefoot on the hardwood floors for more than 10 minutes leaves your feet black.

And, to top it off, as other reviewers have mentioned, the loft manager is a nightmare. Seething anger is the only way to describe her.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family