“Awesome Cuban Food - Energetic Atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guantanamera

Guantanamera
939 8th Avenue, (Between West 55th and West 56th Streets), New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
212 262-5354
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Guantanamera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #690 of 11,276 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 55th and 56th Streets
Transit: A,C,B,D,1 at 59th St/Columbus Circle, N,R,Q,W at 57th St
Italy
“Awesome Cuban Food - Energetic Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

A colleague and I showed up at 8 on a Saturday night. We were told the wait was 15-20 minutes. We waited until 9:05 before we got seated but it was worth the wait.

We split a tamal appetizer, which was delicious and came with garlic butter mojo sauce for dipping.

I had the Ropa Vieja, which was served in a bowl made of plantains (tostones). The meat was tender and the best tasting Ropa Vieja that I've ever had. It came with rice and enough black beans to share. He enjoyed his Vaca Frita. We split a side of moduras (sweet fried plantains) and they were great too.

It was $58+tip for all of it which is on par with Manhattan prices. Delicious food, great atmosphere, make a reservation.

Oshawa, Canada
“OMG-SOO GOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I LOVE my Cuban food and I knew I couldn't leave New York without having some Cuban food. When we walked into the restaurant the staff was great, cheerful and super nice. The waiters dress as school kids from Cuba with the blue and red neck ties. It was at times hard to communicate with the waiters since their English is not so great but I would just switch to my Spanish.

The food is AMAZING. The taste brings me back to Cuba many times. The Yuca is exquisiteness. I just loved it all and the prize was worth every bite. I wish they had a restaurant like this in Toronto. I would be there every day. I will definitely come back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Of Course!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a great pre-theater place....it's conveniently located and its attitude is casual, relaxed, happy and understated -- like Cuba. They offer a Pre-fix menu for $16 for lunch -- three courses... more food than necessary and delicious. The atmosphere is happy and the food is a nice take on Cuban traditional plates (I've been to Cuba - this is a fair representation). I wasn't crazy about the sangria (too sweet and syrupy) but that shouldn't stop you -- especially for a quick pre-theater meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
i
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I walked in not knowing what to expect . Never been to a Cuban resaturant, but the place looked inviting and authentic. Staff was very friendly. The seafood paella was very good. A fairly large serving for one person. If not very hungry, it could be shared by 2, along side a couple of appetizers. The only drawback was that it was a fairly hot day, and they were not air conditioned.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carmichael
“A total Cuban experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Guantanamera not only serves authentic Cuban cuisine (Paella that will fill you up and satisfy your palette), but the staff is friendly, hard-working and attentive. The only drawback is that they were so busy on a Sunday night that they couldn't fill our water glasses fast enough. We went on a night with live music. It wasn't too loud, but don't expect to carry on an intimate conservation. Eat before the music starts, then sit back and have a miojito while you move your body to the music. Dancing is encouraged-with or without partners.

Dress for warm temperatures. The doors remain open and there is no air conditioning.
Don't miss this place!