“Excellent place. Central location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AKA Times Square

You added AKA Times Square to your Saves list
AKA Times Square
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   123 West 44th Street, Between 6th & Broadway, New York City, NY 10036   |
Sydney
“Excellent place. Central location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment for nine nights and we were completely satisfied with our choice. The living area was spacious, modern and well equipped with all amenities. The rooms were serviced only once during our time, however when we asked for new towels, wash powder etc. it was supplied quickly and without any fuss. We had free wi fi and it worked well all the time. One of the best things about the apartment was the washing machine and dryer. Most necessary items for travellers. AKA is so close to the entertainment area and is in fact within walking distance to most tourist sights. There were many restaurants close by so there really wasn't any need for us to use the kitchen facilities although we did have light breakfasts before heading out each day.
The staff were absolutely fantastic, they assisted with some tour bookings, gave advice about places to visit and how to get there, but most of all they always had a smile and friendly greeting as we walked passed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the AKA apartments

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

hotel apartment in good location close to attractions like shopping and times square as well as restaurants, hotel have very small lobby but nice, the stuff are amazing and good help to us
price is expensive but again this is NY

apartment are nicely furnished, with washed and dryer and dish washer
bath room has rain shower in my one bed room apartment

2 lcd TV and stereo with iPhone docking

save box was secured to the floor it is bet hard to get stuff in or out of it

Room Tip: use room in high floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at AKA Times Square in July 2013. We had everything at our doorstep ... Times Square was literally a 45 second walk to the right! The location was second to none ... Broadway theatre district, great restaurants, parks, shopping and the MTA Subway and Bus system takes you everywhere.
On arrival, our check-in was fast and easy. We stayed in a studio room which was HUGE - the size of a one bedroom apartment! The room was situated on the fifth floor toward the front of the building and we had no problem with street noise. The apartment was tastefully furnished and the full sized kitchen had all the conveniences of home ... not to mention the separate laundry nook with a front load washer and dryer ... which came in very handy indeed.
The personnel at the front desk were always friendly and helpful. Our theatre shows were reserved with the help of the kind gentleman at the front desk.
We had an amazing experience in New York City and at AKA Times Square ... we can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite September 2013. Room was clean and well appointed with plenty of kitchen utensils and a huge fridge. I particularly appreciated having a washing machine and tumble drier as the weather was so hot.
Both bedrooms were a reasonable size and there was lots of wardrobe and drawer space. Living space was huge and with 4 of us staying we never felt in each other's way.
Bathroom was small, but perfectly adequate, although I would have liked a bath.
While there was little natural light, the in-room lighting was great, so I didn't notice.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Overall, we had a great time and would seek out other AKA properties in future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This apartment hotel is less than 2 minutes from times square and yet very quiet. A great place if you're staying for over a week. The front desk service was fantastic with very friendly and efficient staff. The rooms were spacious and very well appointed. The only slight disappointment was the size of the bathroom. More of an en suite really. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've stayed in two separate AKA properties in New York City for a grand total of 40 days, so it seems about time to write one of them up. As I've mentioned in previous reviews, I am a writer and a photographer and I go to New York twice a year for fashion week, which requires me to work super long hours shooting in very stressful/strenuous situations. Basically l'm never sight-seeing, or enjoying New York's fab restaurants, I am actually living and working while I'm there, so the 'apartments' at AKA, with full kitchens, consistent wifi, and washers and dryers in the unit make this way easier.
Sadly, there are some issues. Of course, as others have said the location is very noisy all night long (not really the hotel's fault, they can't help street noise) so you must be a heavy sleeper or bring ear plugs to get even a few hours of sleep. Also, as others have said there really isn't any 'services' at the hotel (no bar, café or room service- although the Mela hotel’s restaurant across the street will deliver to you) I don't really mind the lack of service, as I usually cook myself while working in New York, but it is something to consider. My issue with the AKA is that all my trips I have never had a problem-free experience. Once they had no water, and I wasn't able to shower before my first day of shooting (when I objected staff told me 'just deal with it') another time I got the flu and was very ill, but the heater broke and the hot water got turned off in our room do to construction (?) in the hotel and it took several days of my feverish phone calls to get them to do anything (each time I was told 'just deal') this last time, the hotel was replacing beds on the upper floors and employees blocked both elevators so that guests were not able to leave or return to their rooms. This was done without the courtesy of telling anyone in advance, so at 7am as I raced out of my room to catch the 7:05 train, I had to wait...for 15 minutes in the hallway not knowing what was going on, with all my camera gear and I was very, very late for the shoot. This costs me money, time, and potential future jobs. NOT OK. When I questioned the front desk people about this they said 'just deal'. This seems to be the answer for everything. At this point, I am planning on finding a new location for my work trips to New York, I am just sick of crappy attitude from the employees and sick of paying 300+ a night to ‘just deal with’ a myriad of problems.

Room Tip: Buyer beware, noisy at night, lots of upkeep related issues and not-so-polite staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed 10 nights here. I have to say when we first arrived at the AKA I was a little disappointed. The room was nothing like the photos showed, we found out later that the photos on the internet weren't actually of this particular hotel, which I think is a little deceiving. Anyway after i got over all that I really grew to love it. The washing machine and dryer are a godsend when you are travelling and there wouldn't be many hotels in New York that have those. The location is just brilliant, literally two minutes walk to Times Square, walking distance to the bus depot the pick up points for the Hop on Hop off busses, 10 to 15 minute walk to Central park. It is just the perfect spot. Even though it's close to Times Square, it was surprisingly fairly quiet. Lots of little restaurants in the street. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The only downside is the rooms aren't serviced everyday, but with the washer and dryer I just washed my own towels everyday. I would definitely stay there again. We've only been home just over a week and really miss it. The bed was hard though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AKA Times Square? Share your experiences!