“A lot of pros, A LOT of cons” 3 of 5 stars
Review of AKA Times Square

Save Saved
You added AKA Times Square to your Saves list
AKA Times Square
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   123 West 44th Street, Between 6th & Broadway, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
San Francisco, California
“A lot of pros, A LOT of cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've stayed in two separate AKA properties in New York City for a grand total of 40 days, so it seems about time to write one of them up. As I've mentioned in previous reviews, I am a writer and a photographer and I go to New York twice a year for fashion week, which requires me to work super long hours shooting in very stressful/strenuous situations. Basically l'm never sight-seeing, or enjoying New York's fab restaurants, I am actually living and working while I'm there, so the 'apartments' at AKA, with full kitchens, consistent wifi, and washers and dryers in the unit make this way easier.
Sadly, there are some issues. Of course, as others have said the location is very noisy all night long (not really the hotel's fault, they can't help street noise) so you must be a heavy sleeper or bring ear plugs to get even a few hours of sleep. Also, as others have said there really isn't any 'services' at the hotel (no bar, café or room service- although the Mela hotel’s restaurant across the street will deliver to you) I don't really mind the lack of service, as I usually cook myself while working in New York, but it is something to consider. My issue with the AKA is that all my trips I have never had a problem-free experience. Once they had no water, and I wasn't able to shower before my first day of shooting (when I objected staff told me 'just deal with it') another time I got the flu and was very ill, but the heater broke and the hot water got turned off in our room do to construction (?) in the hotel and it took several days of my feverish phone calls to get them to do anything (each time I was told 'just deal') this last time, the hotel was replacing beds on the upper floors and employees blocked both elevators so that guests were not able to leave or return to their rooms. This was done without the courtesy of telling anyone in advance, so at 7am as I raced out of my room to catch the 7:05 train, I had to wait...for 15 minutes in the hallway not knowing what was going on, with all my camera gear and I was very, very late for the shoot. This costs me money, time, and potential future jobs. NOT OK. When I questioned the front desk people about this they said 'just deal'. This seems to be the answer for everything. At this point, I am planning on finding a new location for my work trips to New York, I am just sick of crappy attitude from the employees and sick of paying 300+ a night to ‘just deal with’ a myriad of problems.

Room Tip: Buyer beware, noisy at night, lots of upkeep related issues and not-so-polite staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed 10 nights here. I have to say when we first arrived at the AKA I was a little disappointed. The room was nothing like the photos showed, we found out later that the photos on the internet weren't actually of this particular hotel, which I think is a little deceiving. Anyway after i got over all that I really grew to love it. The washing machine and dryer are a godsend when you are travelling and there wouldn't be many hotels in New York that have those. The location is just brilliant, literally two minutes walk to Times Square, walking distance to the bus depot the pick up points for the Hop on Hop off busses, 10 to 15 minute walk to Central park. It is just the perfect spot. Even though it's close to Times Square, it was surprisingly fairly quiet. Lots of little restaurants in the street. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The only downside is the rooms aren't serviced everyday, but with the washer and dryer I just washed my own towels everyday. I would definitely stay there again. We've only been home just over a week and really miss it. The bed was hard though.

Guernsey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I were staying at the Sofitel New York also on 44th street.

Last Thursday night my wife was treating me to a show on Broadway - The Lion King.

We were all dressed up and walking towards Times Square on 44th street when suddenly it started to rain heavily.

We took shelter under the AKA hotel canopy and were discussing how we could get to the Minskoff Theatre without getting wet. We didnt want a cab as it was only about two blocks away but the rain was torrential.

I was just about to return to the Sofitel ( a block away) when the AKA doorman came out, gave us an AKA umbrella and sent us on our way. I promised to return the umbrella on returning from the show BUt he insisted on us keeping it.

It was a very generous gesture and got us out of a sticky situation. Other people arrived at the show looking like drowned rats whilst we arrived dry and beaming from such an unselfish gesture.

Thank you mystery doorman.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

A good experience from start to finish. Was going to spend one night at AKA on the way back from Chicago and could not stay there on the way through as they were fully booked. They were very accommodating in storing luggage for 4 nights before arrival. Reception was good and professional. Moved all luggage up into rooms when they were ready and we were out to lunch. the rooms are clean, well appointed and also have a kitchenette. AKA is also situated just off Time Square, so very central.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon. We ordered a car to pick us up; this was done via email with the hotel and the service was excellent. On arrival, we were told about the nearest convenience store so went and stocked up. Everything here is 24 hours so whether you need toilet roll or beer, it's available ALL the time. They helped us book a few tours and excursions and pointed us in the direction of the near AT&T so we could get a data plan and use Google Maps when out.

There weren't any towels when we went up to the room but a quick phone call and about 400 fresh fluffy towels arrived within 3 minutes! Champagne and a personalised note in the room congratulating us was a wonderful touch. The appartment was huge, with a study area as well! So many cupboards, appliances, TVs... The only let down was some small spots of mildew in the bathroom but you can see it was as clean as they could get it so thats wasn't bad. Really if that's the worst thing to say about a hotel, you're doing well.

• Stayed September 2013
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed from Aug 25 to Sept 1. If you are looking to stay right in the middle of the sewer that is NY/ Times Square then you wont get better that that the AKA. It is literally (Americans love this word)100 meters from Times Square and close to Dwayne Reade (basic groceries), all the top Theatres and the Hop On / Hop Off is also within a 15 minute walk. However the hotel itself seems a bit tired and run. Our room although a good size for NY was grotty with a dirty floor as evidenced by dark black marks on our socks after 5 minutes, dirt stains on the mat, grease and grime in the kitchen caused by previous occupants using the hot plates - I suppose we never felt really clean. One of our windows was stuck open and I had to stuff a towel in the gap to close it off to the outside. The washer / dryer is a huge bonus as you will want to wash your clothes after a day on the streets of NY. The hotel has no bar or lounge area where you can sit and have a quiet drink or coffee at the end of the day and chat with other travellers. Other than one guy called Kevin who was very good most of the staff had that typical NY attitude of "do you mind not bothering me" if we had to ask a question etc. Don't get me wrong if NY is on your bucket list then you must go, but a word of warning, unless you are staying with family / friends then 5 days is plenty to see all the famous must do sites as if you stay any longer (we stayed 7) the noise, the traffic, the construction, the masses of people, the rubbish on the streets, the vomit, the sewerage smells, and the homeless people will wear you down. When we first arrived we would be out daily for 12 hours but by the end of the week we were glad to have the sanctuary of our room (such as it was) to fall back on and our days finished much earlier. In the end we were glad to be moving on to our next stop (Washington). A much better idea is to add a couple of extra days to Boston / Washington if that's the way your going.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We just recently stayed here in a one bedroom apt. It is large for New York standards which was great after a long day in the crowds. The apt is equipped with everything you would need! Best was having the washer and dryer! It is not a large building which made the waits for the elevators minimal and the desk staff available. The location is great only a half a block from Times Square. The street it's on is not busy either. Would definitely return if we ever make our way back to New York :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AKA Times Square? Share your experiences!