“Fantastic Apartment Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AKA Times Square

Save Saved
You added AKA Times Square to your Saves list
AKA Times Square
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   123 West 44th Street, Between 6th & Broadway, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Apartment Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights at end of March 2012. Having booked after finding a recommendation in one of the sunday newspapers we were delighted with this place. Very clean and modern and spacious with great features including dishwasher and full kitchen equipment, washer and drier as well as a fitness room and free wifi. The rooftop bar was being renovated while we were there so we are looking forward to enjoying that on our next stay. Even though this contruction was happening and impacting on the small lobby it was kept clean and quiet and the staff were most helpful. Location has advantage of being in walking distance to many attractions and although close to it was much quieter and less frenetic than Times Square. One comment we would make is that the apartments facing the street would benefit from black out blinds to cut the glare from the Times Square lights at night. We would definitely recommend this hotel and will be back next time we visit New York.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this Apartment (not exactly a hotel) as a family of three adults and two children. It was really comfortable and the location of the hotel was just perfect. It has almost everything that I would expect from a hotel ( clean rooms,large kitchen,complimentary wi-fi and business center) They don't offer breakfast,lunch etc. But this's NYC who would like to stuck into a Hotel to eat.

Stayed April 2012
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I am used to visit NYC at least two times yearly (tourism). I have been guest of several hotels, from high priced to budgets and it was my first visit to AKA, the best lodging I stayed there. So, AKA It will be, from now, my place to stay in NYC mainly due the kind attention and professionalism of the staff, high quality of the service, premises, state-of-art appliances and equipments disposable to the guests.
Unlike some reviewers say, we found the bathroom (studio) withsufficient espace, larger than what I saw at others hotels
CON: The room needs a more effective blinding system in order to assure a more dark room at nights.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We were so pleasantly surprised by this little gem of a hotel in the middle of times square. At first, I was reluctant to bring my two young children into the hustle and bustle of mid-town Manhattan, but the location was perfect, just off the main intersections of Broadway and 7th. The facility itself was perfect. The apartments were large and had plenty of space (at least for Manhattan). The kitchen was perfect - appliances were high-end Bosch and Sub Zero. It even came with in-room washer/dryer, which was key for a traveling family with kids who spill food all over their clothes. The rooms were surprisingly quiet. We were on the 4th floor, and while the main sitting room was a bit noisy due to the street noise, the interior bedroom was quiet and dark enough for my young 2 year old to nap.

The service at the hotel was also noteworthy. They were attentive but non-intrusive. Prompt and friendly. I was even beginning to suspect that New Yorkers were a lot less rude than I remembered. Then we went out on the streets and realized that I was wrong. New Yorkers were still rude, but AKA was exceptionally warm and inviting.

Truly a wonderful experience, especially for those traveling with small children and families!! Thanks, AKA!

Room Tip: Rooms with interior bedrooms are a must to avoid street noise.
Sydin-eey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

Very good and spacious suites. Good service. Only issue is it too close to Times Square meaning it is often hectic near the ata. We always tried to take subway to and from 6th Avenue so we could avoid the madness of Times Square and Broadway.
Generally for the price, size and cleanliness I would recommend.
Due to location difficult to find good food in local area. We solved this by ordering free delivery from 2nd Avenue Deli.

Stayed April 2012
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I paid about $340 for a one bedroom suite for a night, I got the rate on booking.com and it was one of those really busy weeks in NY where even a 3 star hotel like Holiday Inn is $289.... So I saw this and thought... I will try it.
I read the reviews on here and a few people had mentioned the bathroom being really small, I didn't think so, not for NYC, in fact the shower itself was really quite large... The living area and kitchen are fantastic, really spacious, loved it! For meetings, it worked out really well.
Hard wood floors throughout ( I now kinda hate carpeted hotel rooms) I wish more establishments would go the wood route.
Service was great, I did arrive early and my room wasn't quite ready but they pointed me up to the 2nd floor where there is a great business center an fitness center, free coffee and water, comfortable working or meeting space. I liked it. Now, we were very close to Times Square and alot of theaters too, lots of dining options... I also recommend the Italian place next door!
The King bed was a little firm for me, but alot of folks may really like that.
There were bathrobes in the closet and a washer dryer (nice one) in the unit too! GREAT for staying more than just a night or two.

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed at AKA Times Square for a week. I booked a studio with study - it was the trip advisor reviews that sold it to me - I took the tips of previous guests and requested a high room to reduce noise and 44th St side for more light. The booking and front desk staff were really helpful and always on even when we came and went at ungodly hours. The apartment dimensions are great - it is really spacious - the decor is stylish - has a fantastic well equipped kitchen and bathroom and it is great to have a washer and dryer. I booked a rollaway for my 11yr old and this was placed in the separate study which operated as a separate bedroom - it was great - well away from TV so kids go to bed and parents can stay up. Now for the seeming part - it did seem like the perfect apartment but sleep became an issue - the bed was comfy enough but there was too much noise both from the street - I was on 10th floor - there are only 12 floors so could not get much higher - I was woken by garbage trucks etc and I am not a light sleeper - and the air con was extremely loud - the experience for my daughter was not much better - while the room was quieter the rollaway was really uncomfortable and the positioning of the study next to the front door was unfortunate. The front doors were quite clunky and were difficult to close without slamming. We were woken several times by the adjoining apartment door slamming and I am sure they were unfortunately woken by us. This is something the apartment complex could address but as far as the other noise goes it may be an idea to opt for a back apartment and turn off the air con.

Room Tip: High floor - there are 12 floors - I was on 10 on 44th st side - I could still hear street noise -ga...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to AKA Times Square? Share your experiences!