“Two great stays so far” 5 of 5 stars

Lafayette House
38 East 4th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #211 of 452 hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Two great stays so far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I'm a local to NY, but when I want a change of scenery or a deep, fantastic bath, I stay at the Lafayette House. I've only ever stayed on the top floor, street facing room and I've always been very happy with it. The house is lovely and romantic, and the bath tub is to die for! I'm super tall and can sit up straight in the tub and still have the water up to my chin!

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor room facing the street for the best bath experience in town!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reims, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

A great place for independent people. You get your key to the door and you really feel like a newyorker! It was great to be back to our quiet room after busy days of sightseeing and shopping. Great, huge and comfortable bed. We had a fire place in our room which was great as the weather outside was cold and wet. Great location, close to the subway station.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

The house is nice and typical but I would not recommend it if you don't like old building and cold. I don't know if the owners are making savings on the heater, do not know how to use the heater or if the heater is really from the 20s but we were really upset with the coldness in the room and the fact that we always had to beg to get some heat in the room.
This plus the fact that you pay $450 a night for a cold room with no breakfast I thought I could have found better.

• Stayed December 2013
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Lafayette House is my new place to stay for an overnight in NYC. In addition to the great neighborhood and fabulous shops close by, there are numerous wonderful restaurants to choose from within walking distance. Our room was lovely and connected to the outdoor garden. A bottle of wine was waiting for us upon arrival. The room decor is charming and the fireplace made it nice and cozy. I recommend the Lafayette House to anyone wanting a quick get away or for even a longer extended visit to New York.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are extra special but I'm sure any room you choose will be fabulous.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely staycation at Lafayette House for one night in the Balcony King suite. Upon arrival our room wasn't quite ready yet, but the staff held on to our bags while we ran a few errands close by. We were back within 15 minutes and our room was ready, plus we received a complimentary bottle of wine. The room had a spooky charm to it and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Our only reservation was that our fire place did not work. The staff bent over backwards to try to fix it, but unfortunately no one could figure out why it wouldn't work. At the price we were paying to stay there, we couldn't help but feel a bit gypped on that part of the experience.

Overall we still had a lovely stay. It was a great place to spend a romantic evening and I'd love to go back and stay in some of the other rooms some time.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This area just keeps on getting better. Lafayette House provided the perfect sanctuary after spending my week in NY combing the many fascinating boutiques and tenement architecture in the area. It felt like my own apartment with a secure entrance and beautiful victorian fittings. I returned late at night alone and felt very safe. The bathroom had the best bath I have ever had. My room was quiet with a beautiful view into a vine covered courtyard.The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. I stayed in room 5. I notice one reviewer said the rooms are dark- this is an original victorian building- the rooms have spectacular multiple original light fittings that give the place its charm and atmosphere. I stay in NY twice a year and will defiantly be staying at Lafayette House again.

Room Tip: Room 5 on ground floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dave P, General Manager at Lafayette House, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
To have our property described as a sanctuary, there is no greater compliment. Thank you, and we'll look forward to your next visit!
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this lovely hotel based in an early 19th Century brownstone in the East Village during August 2013. We were booked into the Queen room but on arrival were upgraded to the King room as the hotel wasn't at full occupancy. We were very impressed with the size given all we had been told about tiny NYC hotel rooms. The room was furnished beautifully with antique furniture including a regency style sofa and little table and chairs with a view. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bed linen divine. Added extras such as a complimentary bottle of Cote du Rhone wine, a library of books and magazines in the room, fluffy robes and slippers, lovely toiletries and a working fireplace rounded out a memorable stay. The bathroom isn't modern at all, with old reclaimed bathware, tapware and tiles. For some this may be a negative, especially given the price of some of the rooms, but we thought it only added to the charm.

The only negative was that we could hear the guest in the room above ours walking around at times - but I guess that is what you get staying in an old brownstone. It didn't bother us greatly.

While guests are left pretty much to themselves with hotel staff rarely seen, any request we had was promptly dealt with by the friendly onsite manager. It really did feel like I was staying in someone's beautiful home.

The biggest plus of this hotel is its location. It is in a reasonablly quiet street, but just metres away from great bars, restaurants, cafes, art galleries, boutiques and the subway. The area was buzzing but it felt really safe as well, even at 1am in the morning.

If I come back to New York, I would be more than happy to stay at Lafayette House again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
That's very kind, and thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Been to Lafayette House? Share your experiences!