“Service beyond the call of duty!” 4 of 5 stars

Be Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Canal Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #73 of 451 hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Service beyond the call of duty!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed for the weekend - the room was spacious for NYC, and the hotel was simple and nice. But what was extraordinary is that the man at the front desk walked 2 blocks with our luggage to meet my husband in the car because the road was blocked off for a park parade. He wouldn't even accept a tip, though we insisted. Regrettably I forgot his name, but what a memorable experience. Thanks Be Hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at Be Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at Be Hotel for your most recent trip to NYC.

It was great to read that our staff went “above the call of duty” and assisted you with your bags during the road closure as a result of Pride NYC. The young man’s name who helped you is Dante, who has been great addition to our team since we opened. I will make sure that he gets recognized for his efforts over the weekend.

We truly believe that customer service is the backbone of Be Hotel. I truly believe that we are more than just “simple and nice’ but we also know who we are. While you may not find the most luxurious of accommodations, you will find a TEAM who is dedicated to providing our guests with a clean, comfortable environment and hopefully creating many more “memorable experiences.”

We are in the process of enhancing our amenities and I hope that you come back to visit us so that you may experience these improvements firsthand. Should you decide to come back to Be Hotel, please feel free to reach out to me at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com.

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Budapest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed at Be hotel for 5 nights. Chose it because of the locations - Chinatown area is one of my favorite. The room was really small, but that wasn't a problem. There was no cupboard for clothes not even some hooks to hang the clothes note a single chair. That was quite a downside. Otherwise the rooms was nice and clean, the shower was working perfectly and the bathroom was functional. Everything went so well and the staff at the reception was kind and helpful, but as the check-out time is at 12 and my flight was in the late afternoon I asked if it's possible to store the luggage for an hour or so. That was possible so I left 2 suitcases and my bigger purse there. At the airport I noticed that my euros were gone...i had counted the euro notes in the morning and now there were only coins left... not so nice surprise! Also some Hungarian forints which I had in my other wallet were missing. I shouldn't have left my wallet and purse there but somehow i trusted that if i store something, even some money for hotel baggage store it would have been safe there. S be careful and don't do the same mistake!

Room Tip: Choose as big room as possible!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at Be Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your most recent trip to NYC. It seems that there were some positives and some challenges during your stay which I would like to address.

I was happy to read that you were pleased with the "nice and clean room" and our "kind and helpful staff." I also read that you had some issues with the Superior King Room you booked.
The SPK is our most modest room and unlike all of our other rooms, due to lack of space, there is no closet in the room. I will look for a solutions to this issue based on your feedback.

You emailed me shortly after the lost monies incident happened and we have been in communication since. Based on surveillance footage that I reviewed, I found no wrong doing on the part of the staff. I also mentioned in my previous email that if I found someone to be guilty of this that I would respond accordingly but as mentioned above, I did not find any wrong doing.

This is a difficult situation from both sides. We never want a guest to leave unhappy or slighted in anyway and it is impossible for me to assign blame if I cannot prove that this took place. I feel terrible that monies were lost but based on the information I saw, we were not responsible.

Should you want to discuss the matter further please email me at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com

Eduardo Aguilar

***Note to our readers- Our hotel is monitored 24/7 by cameras and your belongings are safe and locked in our storage area. Theft in our hotel is NOT tolerated and if anyone is found to have stolen while on our property they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law***
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed at the Be one night with my brothers and sister for a family reunion dinner in Manhattan. We had a "family suite" which had beautiful modern decor, outfitted with two double beds, one queen bed, and, most importantly, two bathrooms. The queen bed was even in its own separate area that can be closed off from the rest of the room. Everything was immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. The staff at the front desk (especially Javi) was very helpful in not only checking us in, but giving good directions to nearby sites. The hotel's location is good, within walking distance to the 9/11 Museum (about 20 min. walk), and a subway station. We were on the fourth floor and had absolutely no traffic noise. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your most recent trip to Be Hotel and for all the positive feedback!

Our housekeeping staff works very hard to keep the rooms clean and "immaculate" and our front desk team always tries to make things easy for everyone by always offering assistance. I will make sure to let Javid know that he impacted your stay in a positive way.

The goal with our suites seems to have worked! The spaciousness and additional bathroom make a BIG difference when travelling with several people. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the room and that it worked out for you and your family for the reunion.

I hope that when you decide to have another reunion in NYC that you come back to Be Hotel. Should you decide to please email me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

His take: I just finished spending a few nights at this hotel. It was initially a bit difficult to find, since the entrance is sandwiched between Popeyes and a Budhist temple, and there is the word "Be" above the door. This hotel does not have food or a large lobby. What makes this hotel great is the comfort, cleanliness and service that was provided. Before my stay began I emailed the manager Eduardo about a fitness center, he relied to my email promptly. The room is a bit small but more than adequate for our needs, the beds are extremely comfortable (I got the manufacturer and models of the pillows and mattress for my next home purchase). My room was on the second floor but it was so quiet that I didn't hear any of the city sound with the exception of an occasional police siren. With the curtains closed the room was dark enough for a pleasant afternoon nap. I liked the location a lot, right in Chinatown and adjacent to Little Italy. Soho was in walking distance and two blocks from the B-D subway line. The stay more than exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you very much for taking a few moments to write about Be Hotel and commending our "comfort, cleanliness and service."

It was a pleasure to provide you with the details prior to check in with regards to the gym. Having a neighborhood gym where our guests can go for $10.00 a day with a room key is a nice treat. I hope that the mattresses will be just as comfortable in your new home as they were here in the hotel for your afternoon naps!

It is always great meeting new people and I am glad that I got chance to talk to you and your family several times throughout your stay. We definitely hope to see you soon at Be Hotel.

Asker, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I took my family (6 adults total) here for our 5 day trip to NYC in late May. I was a bit sceptic at first as the hotel had no restaurant and I couldn't find it on Google Street View. However, after calling the hotel and taking to the staff i was assured that there were places nearby to grab breakfast (both Chinese cuisine and classic American diner style).

When we showed up we were greeted by incredibly a polite and helpful staff, and was at our room after a quick check inn (we got there around midnight, so no other guests were checking in at the same time).

We comfortably fit 6 adults in the suite (a family that don't mind sharing a double between two people), and also had space for our relatively large amount of luggage.

Throughout our stay we were always greeted by the impressively helpful and service-oriented staff, and the location was great for seeing both midtown/central park and also Lower Manhattan.

After 5 nights at the Be Hotel with the purpose of seeing the City I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable place to stay centrally located in Manhattan.

The only minor issue we had was that our AC didn't work properly, and that they were unable to fix it before we left - they had the technician look at it first thing in the morning after we told the front desk it wasn't working, but they had to order parts in order to fix it. The fan still worked and the staff even offered to put in additional standing fans for us if we needed it. Again, the staff and the GM were incredibly helpful and worked out a solution that we all were happy with.

The free WiFi was nice and worked really well. They were also more than willing to help us by storing our luggage for a few hours and then helping us load it into the taxis.

I can't stress enough how helpful the staff was, and what a pleasure it was to be hosted by them.

I highly recommend the Be Hotel!

• Stayed May 2014
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at Be Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you very much for the detailed review you provided from your most recent stay at Be Hotel. It is great to read our guests rave about our staff. Each employee genuinely cares about the people that walk through these doors. There is a craft to customer service and we are all humbled by the fact that you were impressed by our "helpful and service-orientated staff.” I will make sure to share this with them!

The hotel an air conditioning issue arise during your stay and I am glad that we were able to resolve the issue in a timely fashion and provide both parties an amicable solution. Problems will present themselves but we always do our best to solve them with our guest’s needs in mind first.

In closing, I want to thank you again or staying with us and allowing Be Hotel to host you and your family. It was an absolute pleasure and I hope that we may host everyone again. When you decide to come back to New York City I hope that you reach out to me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com for another great stay!

Succasunna, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Had an excellent experience staying at this hotel. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Located a few blocks to the entrance to Chinatown and the Manhattan Bridge. Clean and spacious room, even with a king bed. Stayed on the fifth floor, quiet and didn't hear any street noise.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and king bed.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at Be Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us at Be Hotel on your most recent trip to NYC. I was pleased to read you had an “excellent experience” and it means a lot coming from such as seasoned traveler, as documented in your profile. We appreciate the tips you provided our future guests as well. I would love for you to come stay with us again the next time you are in NYC. Should you decide to please feel free to reach out to me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The "Be" hotel is right at the crossroads between the Manhattan bridge and Chinatown and other places of interest. The subway is literally steps away and the room I was in "301" had a great view of both the bridge "monument" and a graphic park, a bike-path strip and a Greek orthodox church! The corner room had HUGE and very well-insulated (sound & heat) windows. If you open the window expect to hear a lot of traffic; after all "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore..." However, close those windows and pull the curtains and you'll sleep in a very quiet and dark room. Again, I must reiterate that DO NOT EXPECT the solitude and quietness of the backwoods in Vermont, as this IS New York city at its very core! Here are our main observations:
1. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful! They will go out of their way to help you if they can! The lobby is small, quiet and very cozy, with minimalist design furniture and counter. We entered the hotel being assaulted by the street noise, and when the double glass doors closed behind us, it was so quiet, it gave you the impression you lost your hearing!
2. The room was wonderful, well apportioned, with LOVELY bedroom furniture, extremely well apportioned, spacious, with two HUGE windows, a semitransparent cloth curtain and a heavy cloth curtain to block the ample light that comes in the morning. It has a large screen HDTV and although our room did not have a fridge, by the time you make it it will possibly be there. The hotel was recently renovated, so possibly not all equipment has made it in yet. So if you get a room, ask if the room is equipped with a fridge. There is a big closet with enough good quality coat hangers to accommodate heavy jackets. There is also an electronic safe for your use. A nice touch was a fancy coffee maker with Starbucks coffee for brewing... (what happened to good ole' Dunkin' Donuts coffee?)
3. The bathroom vanity was modern, with clean lines. Large sink accommodates even the most demanding guest.
4. Internet connection is free, but spotty in the room. One night it was excellent, the next night was only one bar. I read somewhere that some rooms have weak signal... Surprisingly I was on Skype from the lobby to the elevator, in the 3rd floor hallway to the room and the line did NOT drop, even in the elevator.
The hotel is wonderful because it is also away from the typical tourist traps. You step out the door and you see real people going about their business. The whole area is an anthill... Busy people, of all hues trying to make a living... Plenty of restaurants at a stone throw. Unlike other hotel staff, they would not look away or pretend to be busy pecking at their Facebook profiles, when you walked in, but they would actively and genuinely inquire whether all your needs are met!
I know one thing! On my next trip! I am NOT experimenting! I am heading right back! The price? It's not cheap, but if you want cheap, the YMCA and similar establishments are ready for the less demanding traveler. One thing I am not certain is parking; however, there is an all night parking garage 80 feet away, and they charge - I think $35 a night.
It's a wonderful non-descript place on the outside, and a real JEWEL on the inside!!!! Just wonderful and THAT is why I took time to write all my impressions.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a great view - albeit you may risk occasional WiFi connectivity issues. The corne...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BeHotel_GM, General Manager at Be Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
We cannot thank you enough for this amazing review in highlighting our strengths but also identifying some of our deficiencies. We always want our guests to make informed decisions as to where they choose to stay, and we hope that choice is still with us at Be Hotel.

A constant theme throughout all of our reviews, is our staff. I cannot be more proud of the consistent level of service they continue to provide. It is a testament to them as good people who genuinely want our guests to feel welcomed and happy during their stay.

We are looking very closely at making some key improvements to the rooms to enhance the guest experience. These upgrades will take some time to come to fruition. We ask for patience while we go through this initial opening phase of the hotel.

I thank you again for this amazing write up on Be Hotel and urge you to email me directly at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com, so that I may facilitate your next stay in NYC. We very much appreciate you "not experimenting" and "heading right back" to Be Hotel. We look forward to your next visit!

**For all of our readers** We have since rectified our “spotty” internet issue. Should anyone have any concerns prior to their stay or during their stay please contact me directly. I can be reached via email at eaguilar@behotelnyc.com

Eduardo Aguilar

Been to Be Hotel? Share your experiences!