“Good Service, but horrible location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Hotel and Hostel

You added Broadway Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Broadway Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 101 Street, (at 101st Street and Broadway), New York City, NY 10025 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #324 of 454 Hotels in New York City
Düsseldorf
“Good Service, but horrible location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We took a room with two seperate beds for two nights, because of good reviews that we found in tripadvisor. Unfortunately we were dissappointed by the whole place which can be compared with an old army residence. The AC was not working well, the beds were of the the cheapest kind, and the carpet seemed to be old and dusty. The shared bathroom was constantly under water, while the shower did not have enough water pressure to be effectively used.

The service on the front desk, however, was very friendly and helpful when it came to giving directions or answering any kind of questions.

To summarizes, you will find a dirty and run down hostel, that you will want to leave soon enough. The hotel is well located at Broadway street, and not far from the next subway station to the city center.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The bed looked like the exsorsist laid in it. The tub had a few bugs and the service was horrible. I checked in and saw the room & went immediately to the front desk to get a refund. After an hour of a run around they gave me half of a refund. Do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed in the Broadway Hotel & Hostel with a friends for 6 nights in a twin room. The hotel is in an excellent location - 2 blocks from the nearest subway (5 from an express line) and has plenty of cheap options for meals and breakfasts in close proximity.

The room itself was fairly basic but did have a sink and LCD TV. The beds were comfy and the sheets/towels were replaced daily. My only gripe was that it was very hot at night - the air con unit was too noisy to keep on at night and the ceiling fan gave inadequate ventilation. Also, being on Broadway the traffic noise can be quite bad - we were on the second floor.

The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily but I found they are quite old and poorly ventilated meaning they soon become full of other people's shower water - and hair! They are shared between different rooms but are private in themselves meaning you can lock yourself in and have bathroom like at home unlike other hostels.

Despite not serving any meals the hotel had simple breakfast options to buy and also had a small kitchen to keep and cook your food. The lobby area was very nice with 2 TVs, free WiFi (not in rooms) and plenty of sofas. The PCs cost money to use though.

All in all it was good value for money and would stay there again if travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room furthest away from Broadway - it will be cooler and less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed in the Broadway Hotel and Hostel for 11 nights, and found it to be very accommodating. The staff were very young and friendly, and very eager to help if we needed anything. Our room was cleaned very well every day, and although we didn't have a room with a bathroom, there was always an available bathroom when needed. The common area was nice and had wifi, which was great. The room had a nice tv and air conditioning, which was a life saver. There was a subway and lots of nice places to eat and buy groceries close by. Central park was also close enough to go for a walk in every evening. I'd definitely recommend this hostel, and the only negative thing I have to say is that the lift was incredibly slow.

Room Tip: No need to get room with a bathroom, as there was always one available when we needed it and we rare...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My son and I came to NYC to look at colleges and were lucky to get a room with 2 beds here. This is fantastic value for $$. Bagel place across street has good strong coffee, tasty 24-hour diner is around the corner. Hotel is right off Broadway, close to the subway, Columbia U, Central Park. Walls are painted vibrant cheerful colors, and pillows/artwork in rooms are also splashy/colorful. Someone took care with all the decor, it's a bit arty/funky/hipster. Our room had a sink which we appreciated and room was bigger than we expected with big window with lovely view of Broadway, some pre-war buildings, leafy trees. There was a slight incense smell in the air, which I loved & reminded me of hostels of my youth, not those awful plug ins and chemical smelling room deodorizers. (I'm very sensitive to smell).

Great roomy common rooms downstairs with books to borrow (my son read Londonstani while there), fridge, microwave, coffee facilities, computers, TV, fresh popcorn. Nice place to hang out and meet people or just chill. Hotel will also hold your bags all day after you check out for $2 a bag, which we took advantage of.

Room was very clean as was bathroom which was down the hall. There are at least 3 on the second floor where we stayed and we never had to wait. Plenty hot water. One shower I used did spray some water onto the floor, but not too bad, and I just put my clothes and towel in the opposite corner and all was fine. A/C was good (we stayed there in humid summer). Beds were not as firm/hard as I like but perfectly adequate, not saggy, lumpy. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Felt very safe and also quiet which we appreciated, both inside the hotel and outside on the street. Lots of young European and Asian clientele and backpacker types. This is both a hotel & a hostel so you can get private rooms or bunk bed communal ones. We had a 2-bed private room. For $150 (with all taxes&fees), this is an awesome deal in a great location.

Room Tip: If you want NYC ambiance/view, get a room on the outside of the hotel that overlooks the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Riverview, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went on a solo trip to NYC for 5 days/4 nights and needed a cheap place to stay. Having never been to the UWS, and this hotel was affordable, I went for it. Reading other reviews on here I had some trepidation but the most important factor was that it was clean, one of my big worries in *any* hotel.

The staff I encountered were very friendly. The room was comfortable for just me, and the shared bathrooms were indeed clean and cleaned very regularly.

The only concerns to point out: The doors in the hotel, at least on my floor, slam themselves and the staff, when cleaning or going through rooms, allow the doors to slam. At first I thought this was noisy guests until I realised it was routine rounds made by the staff. While it's comforting to know they are active, engaged, and cleaning, it's quite alarming to constantly hear slamming doors early in the morning & afternoons. I can only recommend to the hotel perhaps placing soft-closing mechanisms on such doors.

Across the street (103rd) there is some kind of pet hotel, pet hospital, something with animals, and there is significant noise from this building; and while that's not the hotel's fault, with the the AC units in the window, this allows significant noises to come in & affect one's sleep. I understand this isn't controllable by the hotel, however it is quite jarring to her animal screams (birds, etc) at 6am. I'm also a light sleeper and city noises took awhile to get used to. Broadway is also a busy road and a few blocks away there's a firehouse and some centre for police, and there is constant sirens to be heard.

All in all the hotel was a pleasant experience, and I'd likely consider staying here again. The room was very clean and constantly made when I returned to my room. Despite animal sounds and sirens, the neighbourhood is fantastic (I recommend Broadway Bagel across B'way) with options for shopping & eating, and 2 MTA stops nearby (103rd and 96th on the 1, 96th on the 2 & 3 trains).

My trepidation was put to rest when I arrived and they did a good job at accommodations. Bravo to Broadway Hotel & I would suggest you strongly consider this establishment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the Broadway Hotel and Hostel from 24 May to 30 June. We stayed in a queen size room with ensuite bathroom. The room and bathroom are small. Housekeeping did a great service, our room was made up every day and we got clean linen and towels. The staff at the hotel were really efficient and helpful. There were loads of restaurant options on Broadway. We had lovely pizza, a great lasagna and fantastic Mexican on the days we ate in the area. There were also 2 diners 3-4 blocks down. The metro runs from 103 street, the number 1 line takes you anywhere in Manhattan you would want to go and you can also catch red number 1. Stop and then hop onto another line with ease. I would recommend this stay and even stay again.

Room Tip: We did walk past the dorm bathrooms on our floor and must say there were not often busy and they wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Broadway Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!