“Very disapointed-staff are very unhelpful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Broadway Hotel and Hostel

You added Broadway Hotel and Hostel to your Saves list
Broadway Hotel and Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 West 101 Street, (at 101st Street and Broadway), New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #334 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Fife, Scotland
“Very disapointed-staff are very unhelpful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I am used to staying in hostels, as I have travelled a lot, and since this one calls itself a hostel and hotel, I was even expecting better than a hostel. However it was worse than any hostel I have ever stayed at, and in truth ruined my trip to NY. First of all we arrived at midnight to be told they didn't have a room for us, despite our booking-they then found us a room eventually but after such a long trip, and tehm knowing what time we were arriving this was a bad start to our stay. We then never got any sleep that night due to the VERY loud heating system. We complained about this and were told to just put heating off and that all heating systems sound like that(Totally untrue!!). However because we were desperate to sleep we put heating off, and it still continued to make the noise, that with traffic noise resulted in no sleep in 5 nights. We consistently asked to be changed to room we should of had but were told there were no spare rooms-yet they were still taking bookings?!. The state of the shared bathroom was horrendous. Blood in the toilet-pads in the bin (no sanatury bin?). The bathroom was also not cleaned till about 10am every morning. We complained to a number of different staff and were just shrugged off or told to go to our room and someone would come up-they never. Eventually spoke to manager on our last day and despite everything all she could offer in compensation was free luggage storage ($5) or free coffee. I honestly never normally write bad reviews, but in this case I wanted to warn people, as it did ruin my trip. The rest of my trip also had shared bathrooms in hostel type enviroment-but we never experienced anything as bad as this!!.

Room Tip: Do not go in winter if you need heating, or get room by road. In saying that you may not have choice...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Indonesian first
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

For what i payed, this place is superb. I slept in one of many dorms, basically a room for 2. Hostel was clean, bathrooms and common area too. Helpfull staff, good location with best metro line closeby. Internet only downstairs but very Nice to sit there. Rooms are basic but ok.

Room Tip: Lower= less stairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stafford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

After a bit of a shaky start with our private room not being available on our first night and having to stay in bunk beds, the staff came through for us and got us into our private room for the rest of the stay. Staff are friendly and helpful. The room was nice, comfortable bed and a TV. This hotel is a bit out of the way of the main touristy New York, but, saying that it is very close to Central Park which is just lovely. For a good value place to stay, I recommend.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had a private room here for 10 days and were very comfortable. The location is perfect (very close to the subway) with some good restaurants near by..... The bathrooms were a bit 'old school' but were clean enough. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this place and would stay here again when in NY. It was great value for the location - simple but clean and welcoming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a gem! Loved this place! We stayed in a private room for about $800 for 8 days and loved every second of it. Only a short walk to the station and 2 stops away from Times Square. Nice restaurants surround the hotel/hostel that are good quality and not pricey. Will recommend this place to everyone and I will come back on my next visit.

Casablanca, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nice position, close to subway, coffees and shops. Clean and simple. Nothing special, but not bad.
Wifi is working only in the common space.
For some unknown reason, there was a bad small in the hallway, during all our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This may be because I have only stayed in one other hostel before, but I found this place really disappointing, especially after all of the great reviews. It's adequate in terms of a mattress to sleep on, and the bathrooms are leaky & old but at least exist. However, for how noisy the swarms of people are in the building & hallways at all times, how dilapidated the building is, & for it being in Harlem, I don't understand the positive feedback. If you go down the wrong way on the street, you are instantly in a bad area. My friends who live in NYC thought I was crazy for choosing a place in this location. And having a roommate was horrible (but I also just don't do roommates in general). I understand that other hostels put 4+ people in one room, but I've also stayed at a hostel near Union Sq where I had a private room and felt much safer on the street. I think this establishment just lives off of the buzz of being "near" Broadway (it would actually take you like a half hour to walk to the part of Broadway you think of when you think of NY) and the fact that foreigners and tourists don't know anything about the location. After the first night, I changed to a different hostel because I couldn't take it anymore. Just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Broadway Hotel and Hostel? Share your experiences!