You added Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   121 West 28th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #227 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rauma, Western Finland, Finland
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here in 2009 for 5 nights. The rooms are rather big with a very, very nice beds. Free wi-fi, shower that actually worked perfectly, and the luxurious and relaxed feeling that you get in the room is just something awesome. The only negative sides were the noisy A/C, that had to be switched of for the night, and quite an expensive breakfast. But it was still warm and cozy during the night, and the breakfast was just stunning. Everything tasted better there. If you don't want to go to a hotel in Times Square but still want to stay in Manhattan, this is a fine choice!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location ideal and beds comfortable. We agree with you that our breakfast is delicious thanks to our great chefs. Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you during your next visit to New York!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ended up staying here for a few days, completely unplanned after being evacuated from our lower east side airbnb apartment during Hurricane Sandy. The hotel was great - quiet, clean, comfortable beds, free wifi, excellent hot shower, free coffee and tea in the lobby. The location was decent (although I prefer the lower east side) but close to times square if that's your kind of thing. Close to koreatown as well which was good for us because there wasn't much else open for food for a few days!
If there was one thing I'd mention it would just be that the elevators can be a little slow at times. No big deal.
All in all I'd recommend the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea, and if I found a good rate I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea during Hurricane Sandy! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our beds and amaenities comfortable and convenient. Thank you for your kind words, and we are so happy we were able to provide a home away from home for you!
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just back from two enjoyable days in New York, City where we stayed at the HGI Chelsea. Great location, near 5th Ave., Penn Station, and the High Line--great for strolling and people watching. The room was comfy, the hotel ambiance quiet and efficient. The staff could not have been friendlier and more accommodating. We especially want to mention our pleasant interactions with front desk agent Johnmary, and Manager Terry Chin. The porters were friendly and the concierge was helpful, directing us to destinations we wanted to visit. We will definitely stay at the hotel on future visits to NYC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and hotel amenities convenient and comfortable. Our entire staff makes every effort to accommodate our guests and make them feel welcome. I will be sure to pass along your compliements to Johnmarie and Terry. They are wonderful assets to our team. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed here once before, and really enjoyed my visit. I returned in January 2013 for business, and stayed one night. Again, this hotel shines in the service department.

You aren't going to be blown away by the street that it is on (surrounded by operating flower shops and Asian food stores), although you are only a few blocks from all the sites you want to visit. The hotel itself doesn't have a grand lobby or fancy world-famous restaurant attached. You aren't going to be able to do backflips or run laps in your room, and you won't have a four-star spa to visit. However...

You ARE going to be blown away by the welcoming staff and great customer service. Every single person working at this hotel has the same friendly demeanor, and offer great, quick results. They work to do everything to make your stay perfect, and if something goes wrong, they are apologetic and quick to correct it. Amazing.

You will also love being able to walk half a block to the Number 1 subway (7th street local). This line connects to just about every other line, so make sure you get your MTA card! You are also not too far from a PATH train line.

You will like the nicely priced rooms (especially for Manhattan standards) and clean surroundings. I sleep very well in this hotel, and have never had issues with construction noise, although admittedly I do wake up extremely early when I travel on business.

You will have plenty to eat! The attached restaurant is GREAT for breakfast, and has a fair price. I like being able to just come down to the lobby to eat before heading out for the day. They have hot and cold options, so there are lots of different ways to get ready to face the day. The bar is also a nice place to have a drink if you're playing it low-key. They also had Hot apple cider in the lobby!

All in all, I will continue to stay here when I visit New York, and suggest it to anyone else traveling to the city. My only reservation in recommending this hotel is that it might become so popular that I can't get a room when I want to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us! Our staff works diligently to bring personal attention to every guest interaction and making sure everything is spotless. We are happy to hear our location was convenient for your many adventures as well. It is nice that we are so close to major attractions, but yet our guests are able to escape large crowds and a lot of noise. Thank you again for your kind words, and we are looking forward to seeing you during your next visit to New York!
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Beautiful hotel, in a nice location. Lots of reviews regarding the overall feel of the hotel, no need to say more.

My huge problem with this hotel comes from their ludicrous billing procedure, and appalling customer service (once you've left the hotel!). My 5 night stay came to $1560. Imagine my shock when I checked my bank balance, only to see over $3600 had left my account! The reason? Well, it seems that this particular hotel has not got the hang of returning pre-authorised transactions, (used as security when you check in), before they actually bill you at check out - meaning that the poor unsuspecting guest is left with a huge hole in their bank balance until the money eventually finds its way back to your account. Worse still if your not from the USA.

Whats more frustrating, is that I've always assumed the Hilton to be a beacon of good customer service. I mean, you're paying for it? This is where this particular hotel now proudly sits ranked bottom of every hotel I've stayed in.

When I first got home and saw my balance...of course the first reaction is "oh its mistake somewhere, I'll ring the bank" The bank told me why my balance was so low, and suggested i contact the hotel as they could still cancel the pre-authorised transactions and the money would be back in my account in no time. What did the hotel say? "No, we haven't charged you twice, the error must be with your bank" It was not the fault of my bank.... In the end, there must have been twenty emails to the hotel, calls to customer service and many to the bank. In the end it took 19 days for my £1200 to get back to me, and left me without cash over Christmas. I even got the phone number of the department at the bank that Terry Chin, the hotel manager, needed to ring. But he couldn't be bothered. They have yet to even acknowledge that the transactions took place, let alone an apology or compensating me for the extra cost and inconvenience they caused. I had to investigate the whole thing myself, as at first you assume the hotel are telling the truth....when I got to the bottom of what really happened, and what the Hilton could do to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else, I emailed again. Terry Chin's response? complete silence!

I would recommend Hilton and Garden Inns to anybody.....just stay well clear of this one unless you have a good relationship with your bank manager.

Room Tip: City view rooms on the high floors are great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hgichelsea, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Shaun C.,

Please accept our sincere apology for the incident. As with all of our guest, we do call the bank and help in anyway we can. Not sure what happened. We understand your frustration and assure you, we have shared your experience with our team in an effort to help prevent similar issues in the future. If I may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss the incident further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

Silvio Zinnanti
Assistant General Manager
212-564-2181
silvio.zinnanti@hilton.com
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was very satisfied and the staff was wonderful, especially the breakfast servers. The breakfast package is well worth the extra $20 paid for the room for 4 people. There was construction noise outside very early which is not the hotels fault. When we checked in there were a lot of airport delays that morning so people did not check out on time, which caused us not to be able to check in at 3:00pm. We had a lot of luggage and had to leave it with the front desk. The hotel is very clean and convenient to Herald Square, Penn Station and all subways. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient and breakfast ideal. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team memebers who work in the morning! . I apologize the room was not immediately available at check in, but I hope the front desk staff was able to quickly accommodate you. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in New York!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Every single staff member I interacted with, bellman, front desk, security, servers, etc. were friendly, helpful and welcoming. The location is half block to 7th Street subway local and easy walking distance to 34th street where you can get almost any subway line. Walking distance to Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Macy's, Fashion District and many, many bars, coffee shops and places to eat. Rooms are smaller than typical Hilton Garden Inns, but as I would expect for a NYC hotel and are very well laid out. Despite a sign explaining how to use TV, it still took me a good 10 minutes to figure out! Free wifi if you are Hilton HHonors Gold or Diamond or an AT&T customer. Wifi is slow and disconnects often. Only two elevators for 24 floors (and no freight so housekeeping uses too), but not too awful. Rooms can be a little noisey from both outside and neighboring rooms, but not bad. Breakfast buffet is very nice, I got for free at HHonors Diamond perk, not sure I would pay $18 for it. Lowest price Hilton-family property in Manhatten for the dates of my stay; less than Hampton Inn and much nicer. Absolutely would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team members friendly and our location convenient. We also agree that both our location and value are ideal. I apologize you were faced with elevator checkout "rush hour." Unfortunately, we have a limited number of elevators due to the size of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea? Share your experiences!