“Like waking up in space!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM New York Times Square

You added citizenM New York Times Square to your Saves list
citizenM New York Times Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   218 West 50th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #31 of 457 Hotels in New York City
SF Bay Area
“Like waking up in space!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

So high tech and cool, I thought I was aboard a futuristic space craft when I woke up. The lighting, in room tablet control panel. Amazing decor and staff. Really, really fun. They put it all together perfectly!! Good job!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
citizenLance, Manager at citizenM New York Times Square, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello ottotolen,

Thnaks for sharing your stay with us. Glad you had fun. I assume you used one of our wilder wake up settings...maybe the one where the TV goes on or the countdown!

I look forward to seeing you back here soon.

citizenLance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've just returned home from 6 fantastic nights in this great hotel so now it's time for my review. First , Hotel Location - couldnt be better! 2 mins walk from Broadway and less than 10 mins stroll from Times Square. Two nearby Subway stations within 300 feet of the hotel helps you get wherever you need to go , once youve mastered the art of tranferring between Subway lines! Now onto the hotel its-self and what can I say that hasnt already been said - cool , trendy , young , funky , different - call it what you will , you wont find any stuffy old fashioned bell hops or doormen here , just young friendly attentive staff that can't do enough for you. Checking in is painless and easy via the computer terminals , if you need a hand theres always a staff member there but I found it really easy. Onto the rooms , I was in 607 which is a corner room (I think) so it is slightly bigger and has the wash basin in the conventional place in the bathroom. I loved the mood lighting , the electric blind and shutter all controlled from the Samsung tablet (there are switches on the wall also if thats easier) you control the temperature of the room , the fan speed and the TV via the tablet as well. Theres a room phone which works like Skype and is really cheap , I phoned England for five to ten mins every day for 6 days and I paid just over $4 for my calls - contrast that to my cellphone company who wanted $1.70 A MINUTE!! The bed is so comfortable too , I had a great nights sleep every night , a few mornings it was only the amazing "rain" shower that perked me up , NYC is certainly tiring! I loved the great big drawer under the bed , perfect to store my suitcase , backpack and assorted cables and chargers! A nice touch in the room is the 2 free bottles of Evian water in the fridge every day , great for when you come back to the room after a hot day sightseeing , again , some well known hotels could learn a thing or two here. Always lile having a room safe too and the model in the CitizenM will be familiar if youve ever toured Europe. Now , my favourite subject FOOD! And beer lol. Breakfast - A choice of Granola , Yoghurt , Fresh Fruits , a selection of pastries , fruit juices and hot food - excellent crispy bacon (just how I like it!) pork sausages , applewood smoked chicken sausages , roast breakfast potatoes (loved those and never had them before!) , frattitas and roasted tomatoes were usually available every day , all top quality and very tasty - plus a complimentary coffee of your choice - add it at check in and save 3 bucks a day (16 instead of 19) trust me its worth it! The lobby bar does a cracking pint of Warsteiner too , although I didnt partake at breakfast time lol!

To sum up , if I am ever back in NYC I wouldnt think of staying anywhere else - the only downside is eventually you have to go home!!!

Stayed July 2014
Hi Duncan1969,

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay here. Your review really touched on everything and I was so glad that our concept connected with you. citizenM is different than most hotels. I am excited that you would stay with us again.

Also, mastering the subways is no easy feat...well done. Most life time New Yorkers still use their phone app...including me!

Thibodaux, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My family and I stayed at CitizenM, a Scottish chain, recently and were very pleased with our time there. The rooms were attractive and looked small and European on first view, but the arrangement of fixtures and furnishings was such that we did not feel crowded after being in the room for a while. The room was clean and well-kept. The mattress on the bed, an extra-long king, was quite comfortable. As far as I know, all the rooms in CitizenM are the same, so if two stay in a room, they will share the extra-large bed.

The en suite bath was sizable, with no tub, but a spacious shower equipped with both a rain shower and and a shower with a detachable head. Since the hotel is European in style, no washcloths are available, and we ended up buying our own sponges for use in the shower.

The lobby area was attractively decorated in a cool but inviting style, with comfortable seating and a bar adjacent to the seating area. The food was very good, from breakfast to light snacks, and hot dishes for dinner. Since we didn't eat lunch at the hotel, I'm not sure what was served.

The rooms had working wifi and a tablet with access to the internet for the use of guests. The lights, shades, and curtains operated through functions on the tablet. Very high tech, but user-friendly.

Several computers were available for use by guests on the mezzanine, and there were a sufficient number so that a computer was always available.

My one complaint was about the public restroom, which was not clean and well-maintained. I complained to the staff, but I did not rate the hotel down because everything else about the hotel was so satisfactory.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi GrandmereMimi,

Thank you for giving us such a detail review of your family's stay. I was very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. We are of course biased, but agree that the functionality of the room outweighs the size. Please accept my apologies about the restrooms. We will be more diligent.

See you soon.

Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Beautiful, funky hotel. Love the Times Square location and the rooftop bar. The guest room was modeled similarly to a mass market cruise ship room, with a frosted glass encapsulated bathroom that left little to the imagination. Aside from the visual privacy concern, there is a two inch gap at the bottom of the bathroom door that ensured a total immersion experience for other guests in the room. I'd definitely stay here again if traveling solo, but not as a couple.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello ImNotCandy,

Thanks for sharing your visit with us & others. I was very happy to read you felt the hotel was beautiful and you enjoyed our location. Sorry our bathroom experience was not to your liking. We do have a curtain in the room to add a bit more privacy but understand your other comments.

Glad to hear you would return as a single traveler...we look forward to seeing you then.

Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Modern, very European hotel, in a great location. Near Times Square and the theatre district....Price was affordable for NYC. Room is the size of cruise ship room, but with a great shower and large comfortable bed. If your goal is to go out and do things in the city and just use your hotel to sleep in, this place is perfect. Staff is young and eager to please.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
citizenLance, Manager at citizenM New York Times Square, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Hi Kathy S,

Thanks for your review. Giving our guests an affordable luxury experience is our goal and glad to read you found our price was such. I am especially happy our team did well. I hope to see you on your next trip.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at CitizenM Time Square; NYC on July 8th-10th and I wish I could have stayed longer!
My flight back to the U.K flew from JFK and I had arrived in New York after a month of an awful business venture in Orlando... CitizenM made my last two days in the U.S completely worth while!
I'd read the reviews of the comfy beds and free WiFi and had short listed this hotel as one of my possible stays... I am so glad I chose to stay here!
The Bed is insanely comfortable and Huge!! I had to try my hardest to get out of it for a day of shopping, but it was perfect after a long day to fall asleep in! Yes, it is wall to wall but I don't see why anyone would complain! Easily spacious for a couple also! Falling asleep watching the city lights was a nice little touch!
Controlling the room via the tablet was amazing, mood lightening, which could be personalized and switching lights on/off, along with curtain and blind control made sure you didn't have to leave your pillow once comfortable.
The room was perfect size for me and really gave a home away from home bedroom feel! Perhaps, anymore than two people in there would be way too crowded to really enjoy it but for me it was great.
There is a variety of storage options for luggage and clothes and everywhere was spotless throughout my stay. Also, there is a room safe to leave valuables and a mini fridge with complimentary Evian water bottles inside.
The bathroom was amazing, a handy sized 'pod' like shower and toilet combo and the different options of the shower made it convenient for a quick shower or relaxing one after the gym, with the rain fall shower head and the normal.
My room was right by the elevator and I was never awakened by any sounds of that or any neighboring guests.
The Gym and the Roof Top bar were just right, The gym had all you really needed for a quick workout, with complimentary towels and water. I enjoyed a complimentary cocktail on the Roof Top Bar,which I was given a voucher for upon check-in, it was delicious, with great views!
The Staff... are AMAZING! The management should be really proud of who they have working for them! Everyone was friendly and made me feel welcome straight away, even sorting me out a higher level room, when the one I was mean't to stay in was having its tablet updates.
I wish I had met Brie right at the beginning of my stay, on my last day she helped me redeem my luggage where we spoke for ages about my trip and what sounded like an amazing time she was having working for and at CitizenM. Brie helped me with my luggage and even hailed a friendly cab for me to take me to JFK.
Overall, I loved my time staying at CitizenM New York Time Square! I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Central Park and The Waldorf Astoria Towers many a time when in the city but I really have found a home away from home at this hotel! It is uber modern and everything a hotel should be in this generation! I just wish I had stayed here during my birthday trip in January! I cannot wait to recommend it to more friends and family when they visit!

Thank You to Everyone at CitizenM! See you soon!

Room Tip: The higher you are the better the view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi SarahJP21,

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings about citizenM with us & others. We too believe a hotel should be your home away from home and have designed citizenM that way. Not so much in how we look, but more how it feels. The way you are treated, the ability to customize things like lighting and music in your room and the variety of different common areas to fit your mood or needs...that's what we think makes people feel at home. I am glad you were happy. Thank you too for your comments about the staff. Brie will be excited to read her name (again) in a guest review.

See you next time.

Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

A colleague and friend recommended this place to me, boy is he a better friend now! Yes the rooms are small, but they have everything you need. Fridge, wardrobe, shower, massive bed, working air con etc etc. the staff are amazing, I met Lance, the manager. Awesome. He really does care and that filters through to his team. Each and everyone of them smile, are polite and engaged, brilliant. He found out my room was a tad noisy, we are in Manhattan, so it's understandable, but in 3 minutes he'd fixed me another, much quieter room, with a drink on the house as compensation. Breakfast is fresh, tasty and very reasonable. Free chips and nuts with drinks. Great gym and rooftop bar. I'm a frequent visitor to NYC and I will not stay anywhere else right now, for the very reasonable rates they offer. Book it now, before word gets out!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
citizenLance, Manager at citizenM New York Times Square, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hi vickiandrich,

Thanks so much for sharing your visit (so far) and your kind words with us & others. I am glad I was there to help. And thank you for sharing your other experience today when we spoke. It was very rewarding to hear the team was so attentive.

citizenLance

Been to citizenM New York Times Square? Share your experiences!