“Decent food, poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Forty2West Italian Bar & Chophouse

Forty2West Italian Bar & Chophouse
42 W 48th St, New York City, NY 10020-1509 (Manhattan)
212-262-6200
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Rockefeller Plaza & 6th Avenue
Transit: D F M N B V
Description: Whether it is a business lunch, a pre-theater supper, a celebratory dinner or a private party, forty2West can accommodate your needs. We can help turn ordinary occasions into extraordinary meals, and special occasions into affairs to remember. Our large bar has it's own menu with plenty of room eat while having cocktails and socializing. A great place to meet before dinner or just catch up after work with friends. Our private rooms can accomodate small groups of 10 to largers groups of 80 for a seated dinner to groups as large as 150 for a cocktail style event. Private rooms and private bar are located on the mezzanine level of the restaurant with a balcony overlooking the main floor.
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Decent food, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We had a good dinner but the service was outright bad. Toojk forever to even get water, then we were already done with our appetizers when they finally brought the wine over. Admittedly they were extremely busy, but in such an establishment, they should be able to handle it, or at least keep us drinking.

Visited December 2011

Bergen County NJ
“Great NYC Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We recently had an early dinner here, so the place was pretty empty.

We ordered the crabcake and escargot appetizer. Both were well prepared.

They also serve a basket with lots of different breads, cracker and breadsticks.

Both of us had the filet mignon. They were cooked perfectly and one of us likes medium rare and one likes medium. One thing I liked was you could sample the sides at 3 for $21. This was more than enough to share.

The dining area was contemporary with some great music playing. Staff was pleasant and helpful.

There are a lot of steak houses in midtown, but I would definitely recommend this place.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Commack, New York
“Delicious, delicious,delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I loved the appetizers, the entree and the desert! The filet was perfect! The fish was fresh! The price was reasonable for the location!

Visited February 2012
Canton, Ohio
“A little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Went to AJ Maxwells for dinner on a Thursday night during Restaurant Week. Although I was going to order the petite filet, the waitress in the lounge area raved about the skirt steak so I ordered it instead. I was very disappointed. It was overcooked (the bartender tried to convince me that it was pink but I couldn't tell because of the lighting) and tough. The whole atmosphere was not comfortable and inviting. If they want to push cheaper cuts of meat, they shouldn't put a filet on the restaurant week menu - or be involved in the restaurant week specials for that matter. Every other restaurant I tried during my stay was fabulous, but not AJ Maxwells. Fortunately there are many steakhouses in NYC. Next time I'll try a different one.

Visited February 2012
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
“First class steak, perfectly cooked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

After a five-block walk in the rain, I was not in the best of moods, but the ambience, and the friendly front-of-house welcome soon dispelled this. The waiters were intelligent, informed and articulate, but unobtrusive (no "Hi - my name is Bubba - and I am your waiter for the evening" here!). I ordered carrot and ginger soup (and you could taste the ginger), fllet mignon with asparagus tips, wild mushrooms and potato gratin, finishing with apple pie. Everything was as it should be - the steak was of the highest quality and cooked to perfection.- the mushrooms extremely tasty, and the asparagus melting. A meal that would be hard to better anywhere.

• Visited January 2012