“Trendy Hotel, Comfortable Beds, Noisy Neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

The Bowery Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Bowery, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)   |
Ranked #77 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chapel Hill, NC
“Trendy Hotel, Comfortable Beds, Noisy Neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

The thoughtful decor of the Bowery Hotel evokes an elegant bygone era. Mosaic tile floors, Faux antique carpets and fixtures, gilt and velour abound throughout the hotel.

This is a great hotel for "artsy" folk who enjoy people watching, and basking in carefully contrived elegance.

The beds are very comfortable, the service is very good, the decor is very unique and celebrity sightings at the hotel are common.

However, the hotel lack amenities that some travelers might really miss. For instance, the ability to control the temperature of your room, take a bath in a bathtub, or a watch a decent sized TV, instead of a tiny flat screen dumped on the corner of a writing desk.

Also, keep in mind that the hotel is right across the street from a fire station, and isn't in a "no honk zone", so it can get pretty noisy at night.

However, if you're looking for a very hip hotel that does its best to live up to the hype, the Bowery Hotel is a great place to be.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

The Bowery Hotel
My new favorite New York hotel. The idea was to evoke a classic New York pre-war apartment…and it really works, right down to the doilies and key-in-keyhole bathroom door lock. This place is almost like magic, it suits my taste so! Huge windows look out over lower Manhattan in a most contemporary way and the nostalgia isn’t twee at all.
Honestly, it’s been a few months since we were there and I can’t remember every detail but I’ve stayed in several other new NYC hotels since and this one remains my hands down favorite, even when compared to ones like the Crosby Street Hotel. (It’s gotta be those doilies!)
The bar is also gorgeousness itself in a tastefully overdone way. It would be a great place to meet someone for a drink though it does get crowded in the late afternoon and evenings. The location might not be for everyone, but it’s just up from the new Museum of Contemporary Art and the neighborhood is very cool. I’m looking forward to another stay soon!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dancingnancy
Santa Monica CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

I reserved a King room for about $400. When I was shown to the room, it was tiny and I rejected it. I asked for something MUCH larger and was offered a "Suite". It was much larger but is was not a Suite. Just a bathroom and a larger room with sitting area.

Hotel has wireless but it's not secure. I used m Sprint MyFi.

Parking is at a separate garage. Allow 30 minutes for your car to be delivered.

Superb front desk staff. Hotel had 2 doormen, 24/7

The Bowery Hotel is pet friendly. No surcharges for pets.

It was also nice to note that the housekeeping staff DID respect my DO NOT DISTURB sign.

Location: Great, convenient Lower East Side, a few block from Katz's, whole foods etc but it's not very picturesque. Convenient to subways.

Would I return: Maybe....I'd get clarification on room size first.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank YPAnow_dot_com
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

We stayed in midtown last year and wanted to experience a different side of New York so booked The Bowery Hotel for its location.

We booked a King but were upgraded to a Suite. The room was a good size with windows on two sides so there was plenty of natural light and a great view down The Bowery. All the windows have blackout blinds along with a ‘net’ curtain and normal curtains. The bed was extremely comfortable with luxurious soft cotton bedding. The mini bar contained everything you might want. It was great having windows which open, although we didn’t open them at night as it was too noisy. The hotel decor is sort of ‘old England’ and a bit dark, which is not really my thing.

The staff were ok. There’s an exercise room available. You get complimentary wifi and a newspaper every day, along with a little tray of sweet bits with the turndown service. The bathroom toiletries are good quality. We didn’t try the restaurant or lounge as there were too many other places we wanted to look at but both seemed to be busy every evening.

A few gripes - the bathroom was a bit on the snug side; the shower looked grubby and tired; the ceiling mounted ‘waterfall’ shower head was partially blocked so sent water spraying in all directions; this type of shower head is fine if you want to wash your hair every time you shower, but if not it’s a problem.

The hotel is in a great location for getting to all the downtown areas including Greenwich Village, Soho, etc. Bleecker Street subway is just around the corner. There are several really good restaurants within walking distance which I’ve reviewed separately.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BugLet
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

I'll keep this brief. The Bowery is nice. I liked it. In fact, I have no complaints other than the fact that my husband and I payed $475 a night for a King room (no taxes, etc. included)...no frills. I was fine with the price. I just didn't think it was worth it. The room was not as large as I anticipated and I was not entirely pleased with the location. Yes, I know...I agreed to the price and location when I chose the hotel. I would definitely stay at a W or at the New York Palace Hotel if I were visiting NY again. More bang for the buck and much better location. If you DO stay at the Bowery though, check out Il Buco around the corner. Great restaurant.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenniferlcordes
down south
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I find it interesting that the common social economic group this hotel wants to diffrentiate is the 30 somehting group. It was not welcoming to our group of griends in the lobbly and I found it quite odd. I believe it's or the "see and be seen crownd".

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank lulumagnolia
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stayed at The Bowery for a Saturday night of fun with my husband and some friends. We normally book with points at the W Union Square but decided to try the Bowery for my husbands birthday. We were not disappointed! Great old feel to the hotel and amazing, friendly staff. Didn't have the 'corporate' vibe most front desks have these days. Rooms were bigger than I expected and had a unique feel to them. Bed was fantastic, so comfortable.
The location is perfect! We are not as familiar with this neighborhood so we had fun exploring! So close to Bleecker and great nightlife. Neighborhood is a little gritty but somehow it's in a good way. Very laid back hotel/neighborhood and I would recommend it in a heartbeat! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple