“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 451 hotels in New York City
Memphis
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My fiancée and I got married in New York in late May. We decided to splurge and stay at the Bowery, a hotel that would typically be out of our price range. it was one of the best decisions we made. The front desk staff could not have been nicer. Every time we walked through the lobby someone offered their congratulations. The manager sent a complementary bottle of champagne to the room. The room itself was fantastic with a great tub for long hot soaks and an amazing view of the Empire State Building. We only had one meal - breakfast -at the on site restaurant but it was good and there are many wonderful restaurants nearby. We were very pleased with our stay and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Älmhult
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a long week end. The location was great with walking distance to many restaurants and shops. The atmosphere was relaxing and authentic, the staff where always helpful and the room we had (corner king with bath tub) was good! The bicycles at the hotel were perfect to explore Manhattan and Williamsburg.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

A very interesting night indeed ! - as I mentioned previously the lovely man on the door welcomed us with open arms (almost - but he hadn't a problem with our non residency of the Bowery Hotel anyway) . We ordered our drinks at the bar just off the lounge area (M and myself couldn't decide on a cocktail from their list but he was happy to put together a cocktail of anything we liked-so we chose amaretto and ginger - I did also request pear but he didn't have any) . Oh my - this was one of the loveliest cocktails I've tasted (and as you know I've tasted a few, and that's just this week !) even better he topped it with 3 blueberries , so I guess that's made up my 5 a day rule for today.

We noticed that there was some space on one of the plush sofas in the lobby lounge area, so we and took a seat to enjoy our drinks - a minute or two later a door/security guy came over to ask if we were residents etc and we explained what his colleague had said, and he was okay with that and told us to enjoy our drinks.

Well no more than 5 minutes after this, I noticed another younger door guy watching us and he kept looking over, he then came over and asked us the same thing and we explained what both his colleagues had said - he joined his colleague near to where we were sitting (door guy no2) and argued the toss with him for a good 15 minutes !! - as we listened to their conversation it was obvious that the 3rd guy was the "trainee" or newest member of staff who was obviously trying to earn his stripes by saying how it was not hotel policy and DG2 was saying it was good customer relations and as the lounge wasn't busy and there were plenty of places to sit and we were just having the one drink it wasn't a problem - but OMG young "walk before he could run "really had a problem with it !! - We can well understand the non residency thing of course , one should have priority if you are staying there - but the door guy arguing about it in front of us all wasn't very professional and potential customer friendly at all - it did amuse us though , he was almost stamping his feet/spitting out his dummy in protest. Everything else about our time in the Bowery tho was fab , and it was fun going out for the evening in the East village as I love seeing the different "nabes" at differing times of day.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I love this hotel's lobby, which has beautiful antique cement tiles, velvet sofas and an extravagant fireplace. It was a great place to have meetings while I was in town, and was cozy, sophisticated and comfortable.

The location was great! I was doing a lot of meeting downtown and was able to get around easily. The room was modest, but not too small by New York standards. Some people have called this hotel dark and depressing, but I would say that it is mysterious and elegant!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I had a great two night stay at the Bowery, it wasn't my first choice of hotel but it will be now! I love the decor, I had a great room with wonderful views of the city. The staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints at all although there was some noise from another room down the hall where a party was in full swing but the management dealt with this.

Room Tip: I had corner room on the 7th floor which had great views. Its a small room but typical of New York.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel . Hope i have the luck and can get back . The best bed i ever sleept in
Cozy restaurant Gemma in the hotel , excellent breakfast
Perfect location ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I Loved everthing

• Stayed June 2014
Mont Tremblant, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 11:00 from Canada for an event being held at the hotel. We were tired and wanted to rest up a bit prior to the party. They had emailed us earlier asking when we would arrive and was told the time but when we got to the hotel they made us wait till 3p.m. to check in saying that the maid service was backlogged. One would have thought they would offer to clean our room at the top of the list but that did not happen. We asked the door man if he knew of a good healthish restaurant to have lunch but he drew a blank! A BLANK??? in New York city? The desk didn't contribute much the suggestion. They call the décor vintage I call it old dreary and beat up.. The furniture was worn and chipped dirty looking as well as beyond comfortable, trimming torn on the ottomans. Cobwebs on the fixtures especially on the outside atrium.The event was being held on the second floor was a maze to find. The room was blasting with air conditioner I watched all the women in their attire shivering. We asked someone anyone to turn it down. This was never done. Woke up to eat breakfast couldn't find a sole to direct us to restaurant. Finally found cleaning guy to help. and was told rudely that the restaurant does not open till 7a.m. it was 10 minutes to. They did not even offer us a coffee as we waited. So we waited in the atrium which was filthy bottles and fluids on the floor. They had watered a plant above the seats but no sign to warn clients not to sit since they were soaked! I will never ever stay in this place and will tell all my Canadian friends to beware. Esp. after paying $600 for a room the size of a bathroom suite.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Bowery Hotel? Share your experiences!